• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you like to see in the new era?

I'd love to see some more park bench videos. It was something they did quite a few years ago where they simply sat on a random bench in a park for some time videoing whatever went by. Nice to have some ambiance at times.
These would make nice video "shorts" (varying lengths 5-20 mins) with a themed montage approach from all resorts, different parks, or unique locations or times of day - nice background music - like a video scrapbook - good way to reuse b-roll and grab more eyeballs to content.

Can I ask a specific question about the 'non-local' perspective? What exactly is the perspective that you're looking for?
Great question. And I'll start by saying that for me, personally, I don't need that perspective to be brought to me by a non-local. I know that many have suggested having a non-local on the show, and I don't see the need for it. They simply won't have your level of knowledge or expertise. They probably ate at one or two Signature Restaurants over the course of their weeklong trip while your Team has eaten at all of them. They might have one resort that is their favorite and go back to it again and again, whereas your Team has stayed at all of them. So I value your insight way more than that of a non-local.

With that out of the way, some of what I will say has been covered. Understand that most of us do not have the luxury of popping in to the parks whenever we want, so turning around and leaving once it gets too crowded isn't a winning strategy for us. Locals, and people who stay for two weeks at a time see things differently. So instead of giving up at 4:00 and going home, coach us on how to best enjoy ourselves from 4:00 until closing when the parks are really crowded. What attractions are our best bet? If attractions are a bust, what else should we be sure to do to make memories. The same goes for early morning strategies. I've seen lots of videos where it looks like you guys arrive at 10:00 or 11:00 because you have something specific that you are covering. Most out of towners are aiming for Rope Drop. What is the best strategy when we arrive? Is Peter Pan a must-do first thing in the morning? Are we better off heading to Tron? And should we be aiming for Rope Drop at all? Is that now a non-factor? Where does Genie+ fit in? During my week-long visit, I will be going to the MK twice. Should I cut the park in half and do half each day? If I make a reservation at Crystal Palace, how long should I expect lunch to take? Dining reviews typically reveal the cost of the meal. How about making timing part of the review as well. How close to your reservation time did you get seated? How long did the meal take? This is especially valuable information for restaurants in the parks.

There is a whole lot that non-locals don't know about park strategies that they want to know when they have one day every three years to go to AK. These types of discussions are Roundtable Gold. They can be pre-recorded and certainly don't require live video from the parks. Maybe some footage to splice into a show to demonstrate what we will likely be looking at. But three or four people giving us their expert opinions, (even if they disagree) is very valuable. One of you might go straight to Adventureland and they can tell us why. Someone else might prefer to go straight to Fantasyland and they can tell us why. That would be great viewing.

Also, a recurring "Who Got There First" segment would be Gold. Starting at the TTC, did the monorail beat the ferry, once waiting in line is factored in? How about walking to Epcot from the Boardwalk versus taking the Friendship Boat. Uber versus Mears Bus from the airport. If renting a car, Greenway or I-4? You can probably come up with 20-30 such "races" all of which would be as fun as they would be informative. Above all, for out-of-towners, time is of the essence, so more programming that addresses time and timing would be the out-of-town perspective that I (we?) crave. And thank you so much for really caring. It is obvious that you are working hard on rebooting and improving and we are humbled by how much effort you are devoting to us, people you have never met and do not know.

Can I ask a specific question about the 'non-local' perspective? What exactly is the perspective that you're looking for? Like up-to-date info on what it's like to fly in/MCO transportation? Is it the idea that someone who doesn't live here might be less informed so they might bring up good points about what people are asking about/need to know?

As we continue to look at how we want to shape content moving forward, I want to include this, but I need to know 'who' I'm looking for to satisfy what everyone wants from the non-local perspective. Like what are the specific weaknesses of being a local versus a tourist? We are already planning on better ways of approaching Genie+ which I know is a huge request, but there has to be more than that.

And I just want to make it clear, I'm not dismissing this in a way like we've done before when this topic comes up. I think both perspectives are important based on the location. Such as never ask a New Yorker for advice on visiting the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty because they've probably been once or never, but at the same time, don't ask a tourist for advice on the best food you can find in Rome when you can ask the locals. WDW is unique, and while my opinion is to trust people who go more than others whether local or non-local, I also know there are specifics we are missing otherwise there wouldn't be a request for out-of-towners.
Hey Craig!

I think it'd be interesting to compare what it's like to be a "distant" (New York or even California) out-of-towner vs a "closer" out-of-towner (like me who lives in Georgia (Atlanta area, to be exact), Florida, etc.).

This can go into things like what flying or road tripping is like for one vs the other. How does this affect how often you go or how long you stay or what you do while you're there. Does this influence whether or not you're an Annual Passholder, etc.

Have a couple of guests to discuss their perspective with a couple of members of the team.

Aside from the non-local stuff, here's some ideas I'd like to see:
  • What's in my Disney Bag (and why)? (Doesn't have to be a regular series, but would just be a fun topic for a single show.)
  • More Disney Movie reviews (could be under the DISPOP umbrella)
  • Showcase more "hidden gem" experiences at Disney that haven't been getting as much attention on this channel as others. (Putt-Putt, Petting Zoos, Golf, Spas, Non-Disney Merch Shopping at Disney Springs)
  • Not my personal jam, but I think since a certain someone is out of the picture, you can start reviewing the water parks more. (Okay, maybe just Typhoon Lagoon...but still)
  • This could be more of a 7-in-7 type of deal, but do "Solo Challenges" where you spend the whole weekend in a resort and the parks, but the challenge is, you're not allowed to have anyone with you and report back on what it's like to do a simulated "Solo Trip".
  • A "Now & Then" show when you re-review a dining option or experience from the past and see if it holds up/has improved/gotten worse, etc., including footage and insights from the past blended in with the future.
  • I think a "Sunday Brunch" show would be nice to specifically review the Brunch options on property (may require filming on the weekends, though, so take that suggestion with a grain of salt) and drop the video on Sunday morning.
  • Honestly, a good "Disney vs. Universal" show would be nice. It'd be cool to finally cross those streams.
  • Start making Sea World content
  • While I know you're technically in the business of selling Disney trips, but with so many cool things to see and eat in Orlando that's not far from the parks, do some occasional reviews of some off-property things (that don't directly compete with Disney). Call it "Out of the Bubble" or something. With what I've seen on Craig's (& Kylie's) "Lobby Time" and Ryno's personal channels, I know they're capable of it.
In the meantime, I also think Patreon could be used as a proving ground for new concepts in the interim. Just charge a flat $5. No tiers or levels. Test them out there, and if successful, make it a regular part of the public channel.

We don't have a current timeline, so please continue to share your thoughts and discuss what you'd like to see because this will be a work in progress for a bit of time.
I would prefer for you to still have a lot of studio content. The way I consume the content, this is more engaging to me than watching you take a trip to the parks. I want to hear your opinions, discussion and likes/dislikes, and see your personalities shine through.

Something I’ve observed that I thought I worth mentioning, and it explains a big part of my non-local wishes…

One of the reasons I wanted a non-local perspective is that you all looked so burned out on the parks. I don’t mean this in a nasty way. It just seemed like going to the parks had grown old, and I took that as a local’s perspective. That being said, the videos put out the past few weeks have not had this feeling. At all. You all look so…happy. Maybe its relief, maybe its the freedom to determine how to go about your day, maybe its a combination of things, but my goodness it is wonderful to watch! Seeing the parks through pairs of eyes looking so genuinely happy to be there makes such a huge difference. It just had started to feel like being there was a chore sometimes, and its hard to watch something like that and not feel like the perspective is skewed.

I honestly am so happy for all of you that you are getting this “fresh start”. You have worked your tails off for it! Its going to be fun at times, bumpy at times, and it may even take a couple of times, but make the most of it and enjoy the ride. I certainly am so far❤️

As a local I'd like to point out that locals notice changes in the parks. Things that might not be noticed by new, or annual visits. The locals can add current info to the whole park/resort/restaurant experience.

As a local I'd like to point out that locals notice changes in the parks. Things that might not be noticed by new, or annual visits. The locals can add current info to the whole park/resort/restaurant experience.
I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. I totally agree. Locals who are on the ground in the parks every day are a tremendous resource to those planning trips and folks who only get to come once a year or less. That's why we all listen and watch - to stay up to date. But as many have said, locals also approach the entire experience differently than those coming from out of town and it would be nice to incorporate both views into some of the content.

Mr Morrow is by far in my opinion the best. I feel it may be an option for him to be at least talked to about coming aboard. Just my two cents

I really like PMM as well. However, he has more subs on youtube than the Disunplugged does. It would make no sense for him to leave his flourishing channel to join one not doing as well and riddled with controversy.

Can I ask a specific question about the 'non-local' perspective? What exactly is the perspective that you're looking for?

Multiple times on the show you all have commented that you are bored with various things in the parks, “we go all the time so xyz isn’t a big deal to us” or just clearly not into it.

Maybe what’s behind the local vs non local sentiment is us wanting to feel like the Dis contributors actually like the parks. Cause for the last several years that was missing. Pete would rant about how much he didn’t like the parks anymore. John and Kevin comment about how they never go. And the rest of the team just seemed blah about them. One of the reasons we all keep talking about Panda and Deni is because they still seemed to like WDW.

There are many other Disney content creators who are locals but still know how to engage their non-local audience (Molly, Panda, Mr. Morrow, etc)

Although I will say just in these recent weeks the videos with you, Ryno and Erica seem like you’re actually enjoying yourselves again!

One of you might go straight to Adventureland and they can tell us why. Someone else might prefer to go straight to Fantasyland and they can tell us why. That would be great viewing.
This made me think of Josh from easyWDW for some reason :(. Loved his visual with his timeline of real time in parks and strategies for different times of day. Having 3 people go 3 different ways and time to see what crowds are like, wait times,is g+ needed etc then discuss in round table with vids spliced in would be fun. EasyWDW was my go to for planning for so long…would love fora show to do this.

Can I ask a specific question about the 'non-local' perspective? What exactly is the perspective that you're looking for? Like up-to-date info on what it's like to fly in/MCO transportation? Is it the idea that someone who doesn't live here might be less informed so they might bring up good points about what people are asking about/need to know?

As we continue to look at how we want to shape content moving forward, I want to include this, but I need to know 'who' I'm looking for to satisfy what everyone wants from the non-local perspective. Like what are the specific weaknesses of being a local versus a tourist? We are already planning on better ways of approaching Genie+ which I know is a huge request, but there has to be more than that.

Yeah I don't know if you need non locals on as much as you need a local newbie. I really enjoyed watching along as Panda got acclimated to his new life as a local. That was endearing. And yeah never lose the in studio style discussions. There are a million vloggers in the parks but I truly enjoy hearing your banter at this point. If anyone has stuck around for a while it's because we enjoy listening to you guys and have a vested interest. That being said I think you have gold at home in the form of your new child. If and when you feel comfortable with your kid on camera people would love watching a new parent of a baby navigating Disney. Would be a great segment from time to time. I didn't think it would work for the Trackers but it opened up a whole new world of Vlogs for them. Anyway most of us have taken a real liking to your crew and I would say once this whole mess blows over you'll find your path. Don't stress it'll come naturally.

And I just want to make it clear, I'm not dismissing this in a way like we've done before when this topic comes up. I think both perspectives are important based on the location. Such as never ask a New Yorker for advice on visiting the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty because they've probably been once or never, but at the same time, don't ask a tourist for advice on the best food you can find in Rome when you can ask the locals. WDW is unique, and while my opinion is to trust people who go more than others whether local or non-local, I also know there are specifics we are missing otherwise there wouldn't be a request for out-of-towners.
Yes, I am puzzled by the request to include non-locals. How would it work? Maybe if someone on the team has a relative or friend coming into Orlando on a vacation, ask them to join a conversation about their experiences. I personally don't think I need a lot of non-local perspective.

For me, I watch the YouTube videos for fun and to learn what's new, and to get your opinions on attractions and dining.
What draws me in is the enthusiasm and love for the parks. There have been times in the past when I felt that enthusiasm was stifled and mocked by a certain someone. The negativity about the skyliner, about galactic starcruiser, the constant insistence that a cruise is superior to a stay on property, all turned me off. But it also seemed to stifle discussion among the team.

The recent videos have been great, because we can see how happy you three are at Galaxys Edge, at the Halloween party. For now, as you figure out what direction to take, some fun happy park videos can fill in the gap.

First, thanks for asking. Not that I doubted it, but it shows that you and the team are listening and considering what your followers are seeking going forward.

Second, if you haven't already, take a look at the poll I posted. So far 85% of responders have said that trip planning is NOT the main reason they watch/listen to the show.

I think that highlights an interesting dichotomy here. Some people want more trip planning advice; others don't turn to the show for that reason.

All of that said, I'm also one of the people who has said you need the non-local perspective. The entire experience of a Disney vacation is simply different for a visitor than it is for a local, from the first step of planning to the travel to the hotel stay to the park experience to the return home. And if you're a first-timer, the whole thing is tremendously overwhelming. Disney has made trip planning outrageously complicated.

Just one example: As a local, you can pop into Epcot one evening and try a couple of F&W booths, come back on another day to sample a few more, and return yet again to experience others. Someone coming for a few days or a week only has one shot, maybe a few hours, to visit Epcot. They're going to approach the festival very differently than you would. It's great to hear the team discuss all of the booths and menu items but that doesn't necessarily help a visitor come up with a plan of attack.

Another example: All many trip planners have to go on is Disney propaganda, why you need to say "in the magic" or whatever wording they use. They don't know that staying offsite is a legit option with everything from cheap motels to high end luxury resorts, timeshares, and rental homes. I know Dreams is in business to sell Disney packages but I'd love to see the show acknowledge that the majority of WDW visitors don't stay onsite. Maybe have a recurring feature where you discuss offsite options. It doesn't have to be full out individual property reviews but at least focus on the different areas where one could stay: 192 east, 192 west, Hotel Plaza Blvd, the Palm Parkway corridor, International Drive, etc. Do some videos with a driving tour of each of those areas similar to how the Moving to Orlando show did episodes focused on various towns years ago. Maybe bring in a guest or two who has rented a vacation home to talk about that process and show some of the more popular rental communities: Windsor Palms, Windsor Hills, Lindfields, Margaritaville, etc. Talk about some of the big timeshare resorts like Vistana and the Marriott properties.

What are the pros and cons of driving your own car around property rather than using Disney transportation?
What are the options for getting groceries delivered? What are some good offsite restaurants that deliver to property?

So many topics that out of town visitors could benefit from knowing that locals probably just never think about.

People don't know what they want, but they know when they see it. People may not want a show specifically about how to trip plan but they want shows that remind them of the anticipation cycle of a WDW trip. This is mostly content relating to planning tips, listening to updates on upcoming trips or answer questions about which park when sort of thing.

Then they want to listen to trip reports that were the results of that advice.

People also like giving advice so that's a community engagement opportunity.

Yes, I am puzzled by the request to include non-locals. How would it work? Maybe if someone on the team has a relative or friend coming into Orlando on a vacation, ask them to join a conversation about their experiences. I personally don't think I need a lot of non-local perspective.

For me, I watch the YouTube videos for fun and to learn what's new, and to get your opinions on attractions and dining.
What draws me in is the enthusiasm and love for the parks. There have been times in the past when I felt that enthusiasm was stifled and mocked by a certain someone. The negativity about the skyliner, about galactic starcruiser, the constant insistence that a cruise is superior to a stay on property, all turned me off. But it also seemed to stifle discussion among the team.

The recent videos have been great, because we can see how happy you three are at Galaxys Edge, at the Halloween party. For now, as you figure out what direction to take, some fun happy park videos can fill in the gap.
There are a good amount of small podcasts out there that are Disney fans not in CA or FL and they talk about upcoming trips or recent trips. You won't find more real enthusiasm about someone about to Go Home after not being there for a year.

You need to capture that somehow.

For me, I started listening to the podcast because of Walt Disney World, but I stayed for the banter. I'm not watching for a lot of in depth trip planning -- it's more about enjoying the personalities and getting some Disney vibes when I'm not there. The show seemed to struggle when it was overly scripted and when one person dominated the conversation. It was more fun when you had a good outline of the things you wanted to cover so the participants could be prepared, but then let the conversation happen. I definitely don't need someone to read longs news stories in a dead pan way on the podcast. I also don't think I'd keep listening if it switched to an audio-only format. I'm more likely to want to pop on a YouTube video. Talking heads via zoom is fine for me for a podcast. You still see more of people's personalities shine through.

Yeah I don't know if you need non locals on as much as you need a local newbie.
I'd still say you need a non-local because a local newbie is still someone who gets the opportunity to take in Disney World on a different level. But I think a local newbie would add value too.

I think what most people are hoping with the non-local is basically how to make the most of your time while you're there. I only get to WDW about every 6 years (I think people on this Board go more frequently on average than me just telling you my stats). I come from out of state, it's not financially smart to get an AP, we don't own DVC, etc. What type of trip I'm taking is just vastly different than even someone who just moved to Orlando or the person who is going multiple times even if they are a non-local. However, someone who is not local but goes several times a year can also provide tips too, but still keeping in mind their trips are different than the person who doesn't go often. For us in general we're about the rides because we won't be riding PeopleMover for years to come although we've also been able to slow down and take a break here and there instead of go go go but only because we've gone to Disney enough times.

We have DISer friends that made the move from our area to Orlando in late 2020. While they have the experience of being out of staters they were more frequent trip goers. They still approached their first WDW outings differently than I would. For instance Space 220 they can just try midnight the day before or they can say "eh we'll catch it later". Do you think that a person who is there on a trip when they won't be back til several years later is thinking that way? No..they want tips if there's a way to get Space 220 for their trip such as knowing if you can add yourself to a wait list and if one of the podcasters has done that if they found a good time to do that.

I'm just using that as an example it's just more from my perspective and one I've read a lot from people looking for trip advice there's a different approach to the parks when you're only there every so often and don't have the casual approach that a local would get. I think that's the reason you keep seeing "I need non-local" comments.

It's a lot to ask to find non-locals so I get why Craig is wondering how to accomplish that with the repeated requests for it. But there's def. a reason it's being asked.

I think when we say "non-local" perspective, it's because we're looking for practical information that sometimes gets left out of the videos. You guys, as locals, could certainly provide that info and give very specific videos to cater to a non-local audience. Imagine you're visiting Tokyo Disneyland for the first time - what would you, as a Florida native, need to know about Tokyo before you go?

Transportation:
-Navigating MCO, both from a domestic or international flight. An airport tour would be great. What amenities are near certain gates? Where is the ride share loading and drop off area? How do we get to the Mears Connect buses? A compare / contrast of Mears vs. Ride share. Perhaps have someone film the entire process of making Mears transportation reservations, getting on the bus, being dropped at their hotel and vice versa. Share how long the trip takes on Mears - how many stops do they make, and which hotels might they do a drop off at first?

-Monorails. Think very basic. What stops do they include? How long does it generally take to get from the TTC to Epcot, for example? Have the team time themselves taking the monorail from MK, to TTC, to Epcot. Go over the difference between the Resort Monorail and Parks monorails. A little monorial etiquette advise thrown in for good humor...

-Boats: What are the options? How do the friendship boats work and where are they all located? How often do the GF / Poly / MK boats cycle through? How long does it take for a ferry to load, leave and arrive at the dock (ie: I was surprised that this took nearly 30 minutes the first time we rode the ferry)!

-Skyliner. Again - very practical info such as: what's the average wait between getting in line and boarding the skyliner - is it different at each stop? What's the process like for switching lines? How long would it take to get from Epcot to HS via skyliner, including transfers?

-Internal resort buses - how do they work at each resort? How to navigate the app for finding out when the next bus for a certain park will arrive at your resort. What's the wait like for bussing at the end of each day in the parks? Is it worth it to do ride share over busing in some cases? What about a review of the Minnie vans?

-Parking: tips and tricks. Can you park at resorts if you're not staying there? Go over preferred parking and disability options at each park. Cost for those staying offsite. Parking costs and perks for those staying onsite

Hotels:
-Onsite reviews of each hotel with tours of amenities
-Favourite offsite vacation complexes such as Reunion, Windsor Hills, bonnet creek, etc.

Navigating the Parks:
-How early do you need to arrive to do a true "rope drop." Advice for navigating Genie+. Where can you take a quiet break in the parks - which attractions can you have a quick nap while watching in the AC?

Transportation:
-Navigating MCO, both from a domestic or international flight. An airport tour would be great. What amenities are near certain gates? Where is the ride share loading and drop off area? How do we get to the Mears Connect buses? A compare / contrast of Mears vs. Ride share. Perhaps have someone film the entire process of making Mears transportation reservations, getting on the bus, being dropped at their hotel and vice versa. Share how long the trip takes on Mears - how many stops do they make, and which hotels might they do a drop off at first?
I'll add to this even though rideshare exists, even though Mears exists, etc people do still get rental cars and up until recently it would have been important to note the parking fees Disney annoyingly tacked onto at the Disney resorts.

One of the threads I read months back was discussing the Visitor Toll Pass. We used that in May 2022 so we had experience with it and we used it again in January 2023 so we commented on that thread.

It's a lot to ask someone to actually rent a car from one of the companies and to take out a Visitor Toll Pass so in practicality I wouldn't expect them to actually do it but what would be nice is even just a quick video showing "here's where you go for the main rental car companies if you land in Terminal ___", "if you do the Visitor Toll Pass here's the kiosks for them". It's one of the most frequented questions when one is traveling regarding rental cars and what you do to get your vehicle. Given this information is unlikely to change too frequently it's an easy quick and long-lasting in relevancy video to do. I wouldn't demand they do this it's just something that I think would be nice and one that touches on the non-local aspect.

Of course someone can just go look up the airport's website although I'm not certain the Visitor Toll Pass is discussed much if at all but just mentioning a quick and easy enough aid if we're discussing transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter