What would you have done.....

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
I was with my son and brother tonight having dinner at a family chain restaurant. We noticed a large party (about 7-8 people) that looked to all be in their 20s at a table 20ish feet from us being a bit loud but didn't think too much of it. But over about 30 minutes 2 -3 of the party started getting very loud/almost yelling and dropping F-bombs. Again this was a family place and two tables in the area had small children hearing this. To their credit, the rest of the party was trying to get the loud ones to quiet down. I am normally someone to live and let live, but it was getting out of hand, so I spoke to the manager, who then said something to the offending party. They did quiet down after that, but the loud ones made several pointed comments about "some people like to cause trouble" and "Karen needs to mind her own business". Didn't bother me to much, but I did wonder if maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.

I think you had a right to say something if it was bothering you enough but I would have probably done it on the way out. I know that wouldn't have actually helped with the dining experience.

The only other thing I may have done was maybe tried to get up and see if there was a way to discretely discuss with someone about it. From the sounds of it they knew you did it and blatantly tried to make the situation more uncomfortable. They may have still said comments but it wouldn't have necessarily been pointed towards you.

Nope. Been noticing this type of thing a lot lately. Guess because we have been home alone for so many months that, now, we go out and are hyper alert. Our local place this just happened about 2 weeks ago. I shot a look like wide eyes when this couple were shouting F bombs and a server actually picked up on my look or he thought the same thing and went right over and asked them to keep it down. They apologized and did quiet down. I was very pleasantly surprised all around.

Being out in public it’s really hard to control the public anywhere from inappropriate behavior to parents not watching their kids. We tend to opt for takeout due to this. It’s a mind your own business situation only because it’s not worth the hassle nor do you know how the other party may retaliate. It’s for the establishment to handle. Their playground their rules.

Nothing. You can’t stop people from being loud or using bad language out in public. You are not their parent.

7-8 people Probably some different families. Not a good time to be doing this with covid 19. 1 has it now they probably all have it than spread it to their families.
now on towards your question. You did nothing wrong saying something.

Agreed. I mostly do take out but when I do go out, it's only with my son and brother - both live with me.

I think it's sad that people won't/can't control their language and their behavior in general in public settings. We're not even allowed to use that language here and there aren't little kids listening. (Thank you moderators, I think keeping us in line makes this place more pleasant!) I don't think you did anything wrong.

I have never asked a server to stop someone else's behavior, but I have asked to be moved to a table across the restaurant - away from an inappropriate group. After not having really been inside a restaurant in almost a year I'd be really ticked off if a dinner out was ruined by an obnoxious group,

This thread reminded me of one time I was in a Taco Bell with my 2 small (at the time) children. I got the kids up and moved us to another table when a very loud group of cursing teens sat next to us. The teens stopped in their tracks and came over and apologized to me AND to my kids! :flower1: They were still loud, but they didn't curse any more.

Last edited:
I have no issue with your actions.

Oh no, I would have had management handle that also. My husband is king of the f-bombs, but not in a family setting like that. Their obnoxious comments were to cover up their embarrassment for being called out as inappropriate.

r.e. - bold >> "embarrassment"??? I'm thinking more like they are simple jerks and provided ACTUAL PROOF - i.e.- AUDIBAL EVIDENCE to confirm my claim.

I wouldn't have done anyting.
If it was that bad I would assume the management would have stepped in anyway. If they didn't then I probably wouldn't go back to that restaurant again.

To be clear, they were so loud that we were having trouble hearing each other talk across the table. I waited as long as I did because I was hoping they'd quiet down on their own. But when it started to impact our evening out in a negative way, I wasn't going to let it continue. And when I spoke to the manager she said she was actually on her way to talk to them because other tables had complained also. So it wasn't just me.

I likely wouldn't have said anything, but the group would have been the butt of our jokes for the rest of the evening.

I think its fine that you said something.

To be clear, they were so loud that we were having trouble hearing each other talk across the table. I waited as long as I did because I was hoping they'd quiet down on their own. But when it started to impact our evening out in a negative way, I wasn't going to let it continue. And when I spoke to the manager she said she was actually on her way to talk to them because other tables had complained also. So it wasn't just me.

You don't need to justify why you did what you did.
I wouldn't have said anything but I don't think there is anything wrong with someone deciding they would.

You did the right thing. They just didn't like it. After all, management wants to know if their guests are offended by something because you might not come back or you might tell your friends and they won't come back.

You were no Karen. You were polite and non-confrontational. They are the Karens, thinking they are the ones in the right with no regard for anyone else.

I wouldn’t have been in a restaurant breathing in everyone else’s vapors.

In non Covid times, I think saying something to management is the right thing.

Fair enough, but my brother has been sliding into depression since we lost our older brother at the end of June. A night out once in awhile does wonders for him. Covid isn't the only threat right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter