What would you do??

Single_Mom

Earning My Ears
Okay so first off, I don't want to start a heated debate on taking kids out of school. I am looking for opinions and advice but please let's keep this friendly. :) I have been a single mom for 9 years and things aren't always easy for me and my two boys so if I can afford to take them on a family vacation every few years I am going to do it. I am just questioning which of my options is best.

So anyways, :) I am planning to take my kids to So Cal for two weeks. The last time we were there was May 2009 and we are thinking a second trip is way past due. We enjoyed the weather so much when we went and were able to spend lots on time at the beaches but now that they are older (they will be in grade 7 and grade 6) I am a little leary about pulling them out of school for two weeks just so that we can go in May again. In Canada, our kids are off for a week in February and I thought that this would be perfect because then they would only be missing a week of school. I am a bit worried though because it sounds like we won't be enjoying the beach much and that the weather isn't really that great during this time. Since we don't get away on vacation very often and I have to do A LOT of saving to make this happen, I don't want to have bad weather and no beach time. :( My kids will be happy no matter what but I just want to make this the best possible trip for them.

***Just need to add that summer holidays do not work for us because my job is very busy during the summer months and vacations are frowned upon during this time so I would definitely not be able to take two weeks.***

I really know nothing about So Cal weather, so I'm not much help there. Is there a reason you can't go in June when they are out of school? That covers the weather factor, but is the concern that it will be really crowded?

When do they return to school in the fall? In the US the vast majority of kids are back in school the last week of August and I have always found that a good time to vacation (my kids always still had that week off).

Sorry I'm not of much help, but I think its wonderful that you are planning such an awesome trip.

I guess I should have probably mentioned that my job is really busy during the summer time and so I can't take two weeks off at a time and since the kids are only off for July and August it really doesn't work. It is a great idea though!!! :)

I guess I should have probably mentioned that my job is really busy during the summer time and so I can't take two weeks off at a time and since the kids are only off for July and August it really doesn't work. It is a great idea though!!! :)

Are your kids good students? Do you have any long weekends in May that you could possibly work around to cut down their time out of school? Can you cut your trip to 10 days?

They have a pretty short summer break, so I can see why May would be ideal. Is it possible to discuss options with their teachers now?

I found that 8th grade was when I really had trouble taking my kids out of school. From there on it got much worse, so I can see you wanting to do this now before it becomes impossible.

I know some people are so dead set against taking kids out of school, but I did it every winter to take my kids skiing. If I hadn't they never would have gotten that experience.

Good luck with your planning. I hope you can find a solution that works for everyone. Maybe Feb weather won't be that bad. I guess its one of those months where it could go either way.

I always took my kids out of school for trip until my daughter was in high school. My husband's job did not allow him to take vacation from May-September.
My only concern for 2 weeks in May is when do they start getting ready for finals. If they are good students, not struggling and do not have tests as soon as they get back, then go in May. Just make sure they do there work and study.
Have a great trip.

To address your original question the water at the beach will be extremely cold to swim in if you don't have a wetsuit and the air will have a bit of a chill in February (especially early in the morning and when the sun is setting in the late afternoon). It won't be what you're used to in May whatsoever. It's definitely rainier, but not Vancouver rainy, just rainier than the normally dry weather we experience here - which isn't actually saying all that much. That being said, this is Southern California and it can still be sunny and relatively warm from around 11am-4pm or so on most days. Orange County weather is similar (though not identical) to weather here in San Diego, and I enjoy hanging out at the beach in February here (granted I'm in a 3/4mm wetsuit on a surfboard).
You will notice the touristy areas are a lot less packed in February than they are in the spring. This may make for a better trip! Hope this helped a bit

I've done regular trips to SoCal in Feb, and I've always liked being there that time of year. There's no crowds, so it's nice to visit all the attractions without long lines. Weather still is in the 60's and low 70's most days, and while it can be cloudy and a little rainy some days, it's rarely a huge downpour. On one of our trips, it looked a little like it was going to rain, but it never actually did. It was enough to scare away the rest of the tourists, so we had DLR practically to ourselves! Walked right on to most of the rides, and we were in long sleeves but no sweaters or jackets. Very comfortable for us. :)

Personally, I think the water temp is always cold in CA, so I don't notice much difference between summer and winter there. :confused3

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think that it looks like May just may be the answer because it turns out the boys have a four day weekend and if I shorten the trip down to a week and a half they will only miss six days but we will still get the weather we want and be able to see everything we want to. Yay I can't wait to get there!!!:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter