• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do? WDW or Disney Cruise Line??

CuracaoGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi all...
I've been thinking about a trip in early May for my DD (9) and I.
We've been to WDW twice in the last 4 years and are huge Disney fans.
She's not a fan of big rides, but we still have lots of fun in the parks.
I've heard and read so many good reviews of the Disney Cruise Line that it could be an option to do something different this time. The difference in price won't be that much to be a deal breaker.
We've never been on a cruise before so that would be a whole new experience.
I'm just thinking that we would miss being in a different park each day and walking around.

The options would be:
A. 7 day trip to WDW staying at POP Century and visiting 3 parks and a waterpark
B. 4 day Bahamian cruise on Disney Dream

What would you do? Or what are your thoughts on my dilemma?

Thanks in advance :-)

Go with the new experience and board the cruise ship. If I had the chance, I'd do it! Good luck with your choice and enjoy!

Go for the cruise while your daughter is still young enough to really enjoy (and take advantage of) all the special things for her age. We went when my daughter was around that age but due to some issues we didn't get to do all that she wanted to. We weren't able to afford to go again within the next few years so the window closed on her ever being able to enjoy some of those activities just for the younger kids.

I would go to WDW. Cruises don't appeal to me at all, and I would rather have a longer vacation!

Go for the cruise! My husband and 2 boys (12) & (10) at the time went on our first Disney Cruise in September 2015. We sailed on the Fantasy. We adore WDW and have been going to the parks least once a year since our oldest was 2. I can definitely say that I am 50/50 on which is my favorite......the cruise or parks. The whole family still talks about the cruise. It was amazing! Anyway, if you love Disney, you will have a blast. Our boys were older when we went for the first time and I would have loved to have seen them experience all that there is to do for the little ones on the cruise. I think you would not regret it at all!!!

I'd give the cruise a try since you've already spent a good amount of time at WDW. I was talking with my boss yesterday. His family has done WDW 3 times (once through Make A Wish) and one Disney Cruise. He and his family loved the cruise. They did a 4 day cruise/3 days in the park split. He said he plans to treat his kids and future grandkids to the same trip when they get to that stage of life. His two oldest are getting married soon, so he's already thinking about it :)

I would do WDW. There is so much to do there and I feel more comfortable being on land. I always wanted to do the Disney Cruise Line but with the sudden outbreak of norovirus going on on cruise ships now a days, I also have emetophobia which makes my decision easy haha.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.
I have officially started planning and saving for a cruise in April 2017.
I thought it would be a good idea to step out of my comfort zone and try something new and different.
I'm already so excited!!! :yay:

We've done WDW once and Disney Dream once. WDW was me, DH, and DD, who was 4 at the time. Cruise was me, my mom, and DD, who was 5 at the time. I would do WDW. The cruise was nice and the ship was beautiful, but it was over in a flash and not a lot for DD to do but meet princesses and go to the pool. We took a carriage ride in Nassau, went to the beach on the private island, and saw the evening shows. That was all really. There's way more to do at WDW. We could have done either for our upcoming trip, and we chose WDW. Maybe you should let her choose. Really, you can't go wrong either way.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.
I have officially started planning and saving for a cruise in April 2017.
I thought it would be a good idea to step out of my comfort zone and try something new and different.
I'm already so excited!!! :yay:
We are doing our first DCL cruise in November...the more I read about it, the more I get excited!!! Great Choice!! :)

After 20+ WDW trips, and years of saying we will never cruise (claustrophobia, fear of feeling stuck, etc) we booked our first cruise on the Wonder for this February. We will do a 4 night cruise followed by 3 nights at WDW in BCV. We are so excited. I hope we both love our new experiences!

What a great choice! I think you will love DCL. The 4 night is a lovely cruise to try. We love WDW but the cruise is a completely different experience you def need to try. Good food, that private island of castaway cay, plenty of character meet and greets. Cinema and lots of activities. I would say also Nassau think carefully I do not feel it is worth getting off the ship. It is much better in my view to enjoy all that is onboard that day with less people by the pool etc! Don't forget the BBB if your daughter fancies that. They do an exclusive Ariel make over I have seen.

We have been to WDW every year since my older daughter was born, so the last 6 years in a row. I also have been there several other times with my family as a child, and with friends. Last month, we tried a 3 night DCL cruise on the Dream. I felt the need to mix it up, and of course heard nothing but good things about DCL. I'm sort of sad to say that I was pretty disappointed. It wasn't that it wasn't nice. The Dream is very beautiful , the shows were amazing, the food was good, and Castaway Cay lived up to its reputation. But, I felt like that we were limited. My daughters 4 and 6 could go to the pools, meet characters, and do the evening shows, but I felt that there was not enough variety and honestly, just too many people!! It also is not the same as being at WDW. The same magic is not there. If you love to cruise, then this might be for you. Otherwise, I would really think about it.

We have been to WDW every year since my older daughter was born, so the last 6 years in a row. I also have been there several other times with my family as a child, and with friends. Last month, we tried a 3 night DCL cruise on the Dream. I felt the need to mix it up, and of course heard nothing but good things about DCL. I'm sort of sad to say that I was pretty disappointed. It wasn't that it wasn't nice. The Dream is very beautiful , the shows were amazing, the food was good, and Castaway Cay lived up to its reputation. But, I felt like that we were limited. My daughters 4 and 6 could go to the pools, meet characters, and do the evening shows, but I felt that there was not enough variety and honestly, just too many people!! It also is not the same as being at WDW. The same magic is not there. If you love to cruise, then this might be for you. Otherwise, I would really think about it.

We've never cruised before so this would be our first.
I am kinda scared of feeling what you felt, but I guess I will never know if I don't try it at least once. Right?!

We've never cruised before so this would be our first.
I am kinda scared of feeling what you felt, but I guess I will never know if I don't try it at least once. Right?!
I don't know if you've engaged in any yet.. But check out the cruise board threads! A lot of them I just read and "watch". I've posted a few questions as well, and always get helpful answers. Once you start reading about Pirate Night (my son will be doing BBB), all of the entertainment, and the fabulous service, you won't be "scared" :)

I don't know if you've engaged in any yet.. But check out the cruise board threads! A lot of them I just read and "watch". I've posted a few questions as well, and always get helpful answers. Once you start reading about Pirate Night (my son will be doing BBB), all of the entertainment, and the fabulous service, you won't be "scared" :)

Oh trust me...I've done a LOT of reading and watching these past couple of
days. :rotfl:
It all seems so exciting and fun, but I guess it's just a fear of the unknown.
If you know what I mean....
I've even talked to my daughter about it and she seems to want to try something new also. She actually wants to do both :eek: but unfortunately I can't make that happen. It's just too much for this "poor" single mom.

After 20+ WDW trips, and years of saying we will never cruise (claustrophobia, fear of feeling stuck, etc) we booked our first cruise on the Wonder for this February. We will do a 4 night cruise followed by 3 nights at WDW in BCV. We are so excited. I hope we both love our new experiences!

I hope to hear all about your first cruise experience :bitelip:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter