What would you choose?

my3kids143

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Disney for our 3rd trip in October from the 7-20. We are planning on going to Universal this time since the kids are older now. Debating on staying at Holiday Inn Orange Lake or the Sheraton Vistana Resort - the one at 8800 Vistana. We've only ever stayed at Bonnet Creek and are doing so for the first 6 days. Wanted to try something new and since I can't get any decent quotes for the Sheraton Vistana Resort I was able to get a one week package along with 3 days at Universal on Costco Travel for about $1,900.
Or I can purchase my tickets separately and stay at Orange Lake for $850/week. WWYD?? Both resorts look great and if I'm purchasing the tickets separately it works out to pretty much the same. Would love any advice/suggestions :)

We stay at the Vistana a lot (we'll be there in November too) and absolutely LOVE it. The units are very nice and clean, and it's a quick 10 minute drive to Disney.

We love the Sheraton Vistana Resort....so much so, we bought two annual weeks there after our first visit to that resort. We just returned from another amazing stay....2 weeks in a 2 bedroom villa in the Fountains.

Location is prime (5 minutes to DTD, under 10 to Seaworld, and an easy commute up the I4 to Universal).

Villa and resort amenities are awesome.

There's every restaurant you can think of within a few minutes drive in either direction.

The Lake Buena Vista and Premium Outlets on Vineland are so, so close by. As is a Publix and a Walmart.

Villas are roomy and well equipped. All sections of the resort were redone within the last 5-6 years, right down to the studs, and the new finishings are lovely (granite countertops, ceramic tile in the bathrooms, flat screen TV's, etc.).

Wifi is free, parking is free, and there is no resort fee.

The daily scheduled activities are awesome. Dive-in movies, karaoke, poolside kids activities, visits from Gatorland, bingo, etc. There's tons to do without ever leaving the resort.

Have you checked out the SVR thread? Its a great resource!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3148502

What part of Orange Lake? East Village and Riverside are downwind of Disney's, er, water treatment facilities, and this can be a MAJOR ISSUE sometimes. :sick: That's the only serious negative I've heard about the place, but if you're there when it's an issue, that's a serious negative. :p

We are heading to Disney for our 3rd trip in October from the 7-20. We are planning on going to Universal this time since the kids are older now. Debating on staying at Holiday Inn Orange Lake or the Sheraton Vistana Resort - the one at 8800 Vistana. We've only ever stayed at Bonnet Creek and are doing so for the first 6 days. Wanted to try something new and since I can't get any decent quotes for the Sheraton Vistana Resort I was able to get a one week package along with 3 days at Universal on Costco Travel for about $1,900.
Or I can purchase my tickets separately and stay at Orange Lake for $850/week. WWYD?? Both resorts look great and if I'm purchasing the tickets separately it works out to pretty much the same. Would love any advice/suggestions :)
I have stayed at both and I would pick Vistana. I think you'd have a good time at either one, however.

I liked the layout and decor of the rooms a bit better at Vistana. Also, the resort is closer to Universal and can be faster to get out of there and on the road than at the sprawling Orange Lake Resort.

One advantage Orange Lake has is there is a brand new Sweet Tomatoes and Super Target nearby, in addition to some other new restaurants.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

We love the Sheraton Vistana Resort....so much so, we bought two annual weeks there after our first visit to that resort. We just returned from another amazing stay....2 weeks in a 2 bedroom villa in the Fountains. Location is prime (5 minutes to DTD, under 10 to Seaworld, and an easy commute up the I4 to Universal). Villa and resort amenities are awesome. There's every restaurant you can think of within a few minutes drive in either direction. The Lake Buena Vista and Premium Outlets on Vineland are so, so close by. As is a Publix and a Walmart. Villas are roomy and well equipped. All sections of the resort were redone within the last 5-6 years, right down to the studs, and the new finishings are lovely (granite countertops, ceramic tile in the bathrooms, flat screen TV's, etc.). Wifi is free, parking is free, and there is no resort fee. The daily scheduled activities are awesome. Dive-in movies, karaoke, poolside kids activities, visits from Gatorland, bingo, etc. There's tons to do without ever leaving the resort. Have you checked out the SVR thread? Its a great resource!! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3148502

Thanks for that info, Gina!
Yes I've read some of that thread but haven't read much in comparison to Orange Lake.
Do you know what the chances are I would know what area we'd be assigned to if I'm checking in on a Monday?
Seems like Bonnet Creek and the Sheraton have the most favourable reviews so I'm leaning towards the Vistana with the Universal tickets from Costco :)

Try Ebay you can get great deals for a week at Sheraton vistana.... I also have gotten a weeks stay there at skyauctions for $399 a week. Stayed last may and loved it too so I bought a timeshare there too! great place!!
Good Luck!

Also try Skyauction. You have to read the fine print on the week you are purchasing, because sometimes the taxes and fees added on for the busier weeks don't make the price worth it. We got a Vistana 2 bedroom for the week of December 7th to 14th for $620. No maid service with that price, but then again..it's $620 so who cares?:rotfl:

Check out Gina's trip reports for pictures! We haven't stayed yet but it looks beautiful and I just can't wait to have all that space on vacation!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter