• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What WDW restaurant surprised you the most on your last trip?

For me us was Chef de France. It was one of those places we just never thought of trying. But last year my daughter was singing in the processional, and our father in law suggested it as Processional dinner package. We just went along with it, having no expectations whatsoever.

I was blown away by my dinner. Escargot, Short Ribs w/Polenta, and Crème Brûlée. It was amazing top to bottom. My wife had Salade Niçoise and was equally impressed.

We have booked it again for Christmas Day this year, another Candlelight package.

The Garden Grove at the Swan resort. We were staying there and when I was trip planning, I couldn't find much about it. I didn't find many reviews here and the reviews on Trip Advisor and Yelp were atrocious. But we were kind of stuck at the resort because of Hurricane Matthew, so we gave it a shot, and man, was it good!

Better than the meal we had at the Cape May Cafe buffet. The crab legs were a step up in quality and everybody at the table gets a delicious stuffed half Maine lobster.

Ohana's Dinner

Everyone was saying it's one of their favourites. We got a last minute booking and I went in expecting it to be good. We loved it!!!! I went in with high expectations and it surpassed my expectations. Everything about the meal was awesome. It was so good we ended up getting another reservation before we left. The second time around I made sure to leave some more room for the dessert.

Character Meals:

I find the only good reason to do a Character Meal is to enter the park before rope drop. I don't think the price is justified. Then if you want to get an early pre park ADR you end up being rushed to eat and exit before the crowds roll in.

We have done CRT, Crystal Palace, and Akershus and I don't think we would do it again. Next time I will just do rope drop and save the +$100 we spend on breakfast for something else.

Liberty Tree Lunch. We used to enjoy the turkey, stuffing and potatoes lunch; the price was high but at least it was under $20. Last week we found the turkey choice is gone from the menu unless you select the "Patriot's Platter", which is the all you can eat serving for $35 per person. We were also shocked to see that lunch at the Garden Grill is $45 per adult. I guess Disney is pricing items so high because the parks are still crowded and the market will bear it. But our family cannot, and we're looking at other destinations.

Yachtsman Steakhouse. Everyone was saying how it's dated and the theming isn't Disney and they felt the food was fussy and there wasn't enough.

The place is gorgeous and I ate so much. Is it "Disney themed?" It's thankfully not Chef Mickey's. But I felt it was well themed and the service was fantastic.

Pros: Trail's End bunch - love those warm sticky buns!
Skipper's Canteen - awesome waiters and the food was wonderful My friends were able to get into BOG but couldn't add me to their reservation so I went back to Skippers for a second time, was told they were all booked up but the Skippers receptionist took pity on me being without my friends and got me into the restaurant anyway!

Booked a last minute ressie for Whispering Canyon Cafe.... we all agreed it was a new "must do" spot for us. Definitely a pleasant surprise we weren't expecting more than a "meh" for.

Positive: whispering canyon cafe was a first for us and we are now hooked! Loved the atmosphere and loved the skillet! We are going back during our December trip!

Positive: 1900 Park Fare Breakfast, we absolutely loved the food and enjoyed the characters!

Negative: Ohana, we still enjoyed it but we did not love it near as much as we did when we had gone in the past. It seemed like the meat was not as good and the service was only so so and we had to wait a long while past our ADR time. Needless to say we are skipping it on our upcoming trip!

So happy to hear this about Whispering Canyon Cafe! We have a dinner adr booked here for during our first MK day and decided to try this instead of 'Ohana again. The skillet looks mouth watering :goodvibes.

Shutters at CBR. I had heard so-so reviews but I'm a big fan of trying things myself before I form an opinion. (Plus I'm going for the golden spoon). I'm so glad I didn't because it was the best steak I've ever had at Disney.

Two places that always get slammed and bad reviews, we enjoyed very much. Tony's has been great every time we go. Maybe we just go in with low expectations (as most will call it the Olive Garden of WDW), but we've never had a bad meal, the wait staff is great, and if you can, get a seat on the patio during the Flag Retreat ceremony or a parade. It's awesome! And the second place is Hollywood and Vine. We went their twice in the past 2 years. Once for breakfast (try the puffed french toast, really good) for the Disney Jr. characters for the kids and this year for dinner for Minnie's Holiday Dine (Halloween). The Halloween themed foods were great and it was a lot of fun. We'd def go back if the kids wanted to again.

The Coral Reef. Had not been there in years and recall very long wait to be seated last time we were there. In addition, I have read very mixed reviews of food and service. Bottom line, it was excellent. We were seated within 15 minutes and requested a table close to the tanks, which we got. I had the salmon and others in our party enjoyed the Mahi Mahi and the seafood with pasta. One person ordered the steak and felt it was not the best choice. The chocolate cake ( if forget what it was called) was to die for.

I'll go 2 positives and 1 negative

Positive: Pecos Bills. We almost always go Columbia Harbor House, but didn't want that this time. Saw Pecos and figured give it a try as we hadn't been since the new menu. Food was great, and portions were huge. Other positive was the Wave. We had been once before YEARS ago, but just happened to decide to back again. Food was very good before, but it was even better this time. On top of that, the service was the best we have seen at WDW in years. Blown away by all of it and it's now on our must hit every trip list.

Negative: Tutto Italia. It wasn't bad. But for the price and the raving reviews, I expected it to be much better than it was. Nothing was gross or made us sick, it just wasn't anything that I had to eat more of. I left pretty disappointed by that.

I think we were most surprised by La Hacienda de San Angel. We walked in and both of our jaws dropped at the view and we loved the food. The Wave was also a terrific breakfast surprise. The buffet was the best I have had on property.

Great to know! We have an ADR for La Hacienda in April that I'm really excited about! Can't wait to try the corn ice cream!

Biggest surprise ever was Maya Grill at Coronado Springs Resort. It's only open for dinner. It would be perfect for a date night followed by a walk around the lake.

Biggest disappointment was CRT. I ordered steak medium well and was served a charred, inedible steak. For what you pay for CRT, I expected perfection. That didn't stop us from booking it again this trip though. Absolutely worth it for the princess interactions with my little girl.

GoingForGoldenSpoon.gif

I've eaten at 57 out of 288 restaurants at Walt Disney World (20%)
I've eaten at 25 out of 106 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (24%)
I've eaten at 12 out of 79 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (15%)
I've eaten at 1 out of 22 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (5%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (0%)
I've eaten at 0 out of 4 dessert parties at Walt Disney World (0%)

WDWGoldenSpoonSmall20.png

Here's my full restaurant list!

THEME PARKS
  • ANIMAL KINGDOM PARK
    • Chef Mwanga's Ribs Shop at Harambe Market
    • Creature Comforts (Starbucks)
    • Famous Sausages at Harambe Market
    • Flame Tree BBQ
    • Gardens Kiosk
    • Kitamu Grill at Harambe Market
    • Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery
    • Pizzafari
    • Rainforest Cafe
    • Restaurantosaurus
    • The Smiling Crocodile
    • Tiffins
    • Tusker House
    • Trilo Bites
    • Yak & Yeti Counter Service
    • Yak & Yeti
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios
    • '50s Prime Time Cafe
    • ABC Commissary
    • Backlot Express
    • Bocados del Lago Nachos y Empanadas
    • Catalina Eddie's
    • Fairfax Fare
    • Star Wars or Frozen Fireworks Dessert Party
    • Hollywood Brown Derby
    • Hollywood Brown Derby Lounge
    • Hollywood & Vine
    • Hollywood Waffles of Fame
    • Mama Melrose's
    • Min & Bill's Dockside Diner
    • Rosie's All-American Cafe
    • Sci-Fi Dine-In
    • Sliders to the Stars
    • Starring Rolls Cafe
    • Toluca Legs Turkey Company
    • Toy Story Pizza Planet
    • Trolley Car Cafe
  • Epcot
    • Coral Reef (Living Seas)
    • Electric Umbrella
    • Fountainview (Starbucks)
    • Garden Grill (The Land)
    • Sunshine Seasons (The Land)
    • Taste Track
    • Akershus Royal Banquet Hall (Norway)
    • Art of Tea
    • Biergarten (Germany)
    • Boulangerie Patisserie (France)
    • Chefs de France (France)
    • Fife & Drum (American Adventure)
    • Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party
    • Katsura Grill (Japan)
    • Kringla Bakeri og Cafe (Norway)
    • La Cantina de San Angel (Mexico)
    • La Hacienda de San Angel (Mexico)
    • Le Cellier (Canada)
    • Liberty Inn (American Adventure)
    • Lotus Blossom Cafe (China)
    • Monsieur Paul (France)
    • Nine Dragons (China)
    • Odyssey
    • Refreshment Port
    • Restaurant Marrakesh (Morocco)
    • Rose and Crown (United Kingdom)
    • San Angel Inn (Mexico)
    • Sommerfest (Germany)
    • Spice Road (Morocco)
    • Tangierine Cafe (Morocco)
    • Teppan Edo (Japan)
    • Tokyo Dining (Japan)
    • Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar (Italy)
    • Tutto Italia (Italy)
    • Via Napoli (Italy)
    • Yorkshire County Fish Shop (United Kingdom)
  • Epcot Food & Wine Festival
    • Africa
    • Australia
    • Belgium
    • Brazil
    • Brewer's Collection
    • Canada
    • Cheese Studio
    • Chew Lab
    • China
    • Craft Beers
    • Desserts & Champagne
    • Dominican Republic
    • Farm Fresh
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hawaii
    • Hops & Barley
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Morocco
    • New Zealand
    • Patagonia
    • Poland
    • Party for the Senses (or other event in the World Showcase Events Pavilion)
    • Puerto Rico
    • Scotland
    • Singapore
    • South Korea
    • Sustainable Chew
    • Terra
    • Intermissions Cafe (In the Festival Center)
    • Wine Studio
  • Epcot Flower & Garden Festival
    • Bauernmarkt
    • Cider House
    • Fleur De lys
    • Florida Fresh
    • La Isla Fresca
    • Hanami
    • Intermissions Cafe (In the Festival Center)
    • Jardin De Fiestas
    • Lotus House
    • Pineapple Promenade
    • Primavera Kitchen
    • The Smokehouse
    • Taste of Marrakesh
    • Urban Farm Eats
  • Magic Kingdom
    • Be Our Guest - Quick Service Breakfast/Lunch (Fantasyland)
    • Be Our Guest - Table Service Dinner (Fantasyland)
    • Casey's Corner (Main Street USA)
    • Cinderella's Royal Table (Fantasyland)
    • Columbia Harbour House (Liberty Square)
    • Cosmic Ray's (Tomorrowland)
    • The Crystal Palace (Adventureland)
    • Diamond Horseshoe Review (Frontierland)
    • Ferrytale Wishes Dessert Party (Seven Seas Lagoon)
    • The Friar's Nook (Fantasyland)
    • Gaston's Tavern (Fantasyland)
    • Golden Oak Outpost (Frontierland)
    • Liberty Square Market
    • Liberty Tree Tavern (Liberty Square)
    • The Lunching Pad (Tomorrowland)
    • Main Street Bakery (Starbucks)
    • Pecos Bill's (Frontierland)
    • Pinnochio Village Haus (Fantasyland)
    • The Plaza Restaurant (Main Street USA)
    • Skipper Canteen (Adventureland)
    • Sleepy Hollow
    • Tomorrowland Terrace (Tomorrowland)
    • Tomorrowland Terrace Wishes Dessert Party (Tomorrowland)
    • Tony's Town Square (Main Street USA)
    • Tortuga Tavern (Adventureland)
    • Frontierland Turkey Leg Cart
Water Parks
  • Blizzard Beach
    • Avalunch
    • The Cooling Hut
    • Lottawatta Lodge
    • The Warming Hut
  • Typhoon Lagoon
    • Leaning Palms
    • Lowtide Lou's
    • Surf Doggies
    • Typhoon Tilly's
Disney Springs
  • Marketplace
    • Aristocrepes
    • B.B.Wolf's Sausage Co.
    • The Boathouse
    • Earl of Sandwich
    • Fulton's Crab House
    • Ghirardelli's
    • Marketplace Snacks
    • Rainforest Cafe
    • Starbucks
    • T-Rex
    • Wolfgang Puck Express
  • The Landing
    • Cooke's of Dublin
    • Paradiso 37
    • Planet Hollywood
    • Portobello
    • Raglan Road
    • Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar
    • Morimoto Asia
    • Morimoto Street Food
    • STK Orlando
  • Town Center
    • The Daily Poutine
    • Frontera
  • West Side
    • AMC 24 Pleasure Island Dining
    • Bongo's Cuban Cafe
    • Bongo's Cuban Cafe Express
    • Crossroads at House of Blues
    • Crossroads at House of Blues Sunday Brunch
    • Foodquest
    • MacGUFFINS
    • Splitsville
    • Smokehouse at House of Blues
    • Starbucks
    • Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe
    • The Dining Room at Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe
    • Wolfgang Puck Express
  • Food Trucks Exposition Park
    • Fantasy Fare truck
    • Namaste Cafe truck
    • Superstar Catering truck
    • World Showcase of Flavors truck
Wide World of Sports
    • ESPN Grill
Resorts
  • All Star Movies
    • World Premiere
  • All Star Music
    • Intermission
  • All Star Sports
    • End Zone
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Boma Flavors of Africa
    • Jiko: The Cooking Place
    • The Mara
    • Sanaa
  • Art of Animation
    • Landscapes of Flavors
  • Beach Club
    • Beach Club Marketplace
    • Beaches and Cream
    • Cape May Cafe
    • Hurricane Hanna's
  • Boardwalk
    • Big River Grille & Brewing Works
    • Boardwalk Bakery
    • Boardwalk Pizza Window
    • ESPN Club
    • Flying Fish
    • Trattoria al Forno
  • Caribbean Beach
    • Old Port Royale
    • Shutters
  • Contemporary
    • California Grill
    • Chef Mickey's
    • Contempo Cafe
    • The Wave
    • Top of the World Lounge
  • Coronado Springs
    • Cafe Rix
    • Laguna Bar
    • Las Ventanas
    • Maya Grill
    • Pepper Market
    • Siesta's
  • Walt Disney World Dolphin
    • Cabana Bar and Beach Club
    • The Fountain
    • Fresh Mediterranean Market
    • Picabu Buffeteria
    • Shula's Steakhouse
    • Todd English's bluezoo
  • Fort Wilderness
    • Crockett's Tavern
    • Hoop Dee Doo Musical Review
    • Meadows Snack Bar
    • Mickey's Backyard BBQ
    • Trail's End Restaurant
  • Four Seasons
    • Capa Spanish Steakhouse
    • Ravello
  • Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
    • 1900 Park Fare
    • Citricos
    • Garden View Lounge Afternoon Tea
    • Gasparilla Island Grill
    • Grand Floridian Cafe
    • Mizner's Lounge
    • My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea
    • Narcoossee's
    • Pool Bar
    • Victoria and Albert's
  • Old Key West
    • Goods to Go
    • Olivia's
    • Turtle Shack
  • Polynesian
    • Captain Cook's Snack Company
    • Kona Cafe
    • Kona Island Sushi Counter
    • 'Ohana
    • Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau
    • Tambu Lounge
    • Trader Sam's
  • Pop Century
    • Everything Pop
  • Port Orleans
    • Boatwright's
    • Riverside Mill Food Court
    • Sassagoula Flatworks & Food Factory
  • Saratoga Springs
    • Artist's Palette
    • Grandstand Pool Bar
    • Paddock Pool Grill
    • Turf Club
  • Shades of Green
    • Garden Gallery
    • Evergreen's
    • Mangino's Bistro
  • Walt Disney World Swan
    • Garden Grove Cafe
    • Il Mulino New York Trattoria
    • Kimonos Sushi Bar
    • Splash Grill
  • Vero Beach
    • Bleachers Bar and Grill
    • Green Cabin Room
    • Shutters
    • Sonya's
  • Wilderness Lodge
    • Artist Point
    • Roaring Fork
    • Territory Lounge
    • Whispering Canyon
  • Yacht Club
    • Captain's Grille
    • Crew's Cup Lounge
    • Yachtsman Steakhouse
Other Dining Options
  • Self-Cooking
    • Prepared a quick in-room meal
    • Cooked a full sit-down meal in the villa
    • Cooked a full meal using a resort BBQ grill

Morimoto's; was expecting a great experience. We are a family of 3 adults and ordered a sushi tower, touted to serve 2-3, along with miso soup and two specialty rolls. To put my answer into perspective, we love sushi/sashimi. There is a sushi restaurant in the strip mall next to the hospital where I have my office, and another just north of where we live, and we go to both on occasion. We have had sushi at various restaurants in San Diego and Los Angeles area. I was expecting something better than what you can get in small town/semi-rural central Indiana, to be perfectly honest.

The specialty rolls were about half the size of those typically served at any other restaurant we have visited, even including Tokyo Dining at Epcot. The sushi tower probably only would serve 1 sushi lover, to be perfectly honest. The total bill was almost $200, and we were hungry about 2 hours later and went to Panera.

In contrast, we did go to Tokyo Dining later in the trip. I had Chirashi Sushi, and was unable to completely finish my plate, and my family members were likewise satisfied. The bill was lower, the quality similar.

And, to add insult to injury, Morimoto's billed us incorrectly, which I later needed to dispute to have it reversed.

The Garden Grove at the Swan resort. We were staying there and when I was trip planning, I couldn't find much about it. I didn't find many reviews here and the reviews on Trip Advisor and Yelp were atrocious. But we were kind of stuck at the resort because of Hurricane Matthew, so we gave it a shot, and man, was it good!

Better than the meal we had at the Cape May Cafe buffet. The crab legs were a step up in quality and everybody at the table gets a delicious stuffed half Maine lobster.

GG is one of my favorite memories from 15 years ago with our 20 month old son. We set out from the Swan to have dinner anywhere in HS. Every restaurant was fully booked. The whole park was miserably jam packed. It started raining. We left in defeat a bit depressed that we were stuck with the hotel restaurant. What a surprise to find it was a character dinner. It was only about half full. Pluto and my son hit it off. He came around like 4 times and they played on the floor for half the meal. I barely remember the food but it really doesn't matter. Still one of my favorite Disney memories.

Negative? Liberty Tree Tavern. Went there for the first time since the refurb and wasn't happy at all. The old menu was better... including the old Patriot's Punch! And this might seem petty, but the souvenir mug with Goofy, Mickey and Donald as founding fathers was much cuter too.

Positive? Captain Cooks. For a quick service restaurant, I fell in love with the flatbread pizza and ESPECIALLY the pork fried rice! They got everything right and everything came out fast with friendly employees.

Tusker House, I had heard decent things about it before but this was the first time I had decided to try it. I was in Animal Kingdom for the day and needed some lunch so I was able to grab a walk up. Fell in love with their pork and bread pudding. Also they had the best Basmati rice on property that I've been able to find so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter