What was best total splurge money you ever spent?

whole house generator thats tied into electric panels and 1000 gallon propane tank.

may not seem exciting or memorable-but when everyone in your neck of the woods is without power, worrying about how they are going to keep all the food in their fridge and freezer from spoiling let alone how they will get water from their well to so much as flush their toilets, keep their homes warm (when it's below zero) let alone cook something to eat............it's the splurge that keeps on giving.
My dad and grandpa just purchased my family a generator. It is supposed to be really cold this winter. It will be worth it.

Kentucky Action Park. Only $100, but we just weren't sure a roadside attraction was worth that much money. It was a really great day, and worth every penny.

Fogo De Chao in Indianapolis. One of our best meals ever.

Two nights at Royal Pacific Resort with three days of unlimited Express Passes at Universal. Priceless.
Someday I want to stay for a week, so I can really relax and enjoy the resorts between visits to the parks.

Our cruises (I've taken 11 and DH 10 - on Disney, Royal Caribbean and Carnival)

And our summer vacation property in Northern Michigan.

Our big trip to Hawaii in 2013. We spent a week on a cruise in an extended balcony cabin, did awesome excursions, then had a week at aulani in a one bedroom oceanview villa. It was expensive but incredible!! Or maybe I should count DVC since that is what made the trip possible :)

2 years after buying our first sports car- Honda S2000
We traded in for a second sports car after seeing only a concept of it at a car show- the redesigned Nissan Z
All of us who ordered this brand new car had access to tracking it as it left port in Japan and made its way to our cities -only 5 were allowed at each dealer for preorder

My most recent splurge was the $$$ I spent redoing my bathroom. We had a bunch of independent remodelers come in and give estimates of about $1500 for a redo. But, I would have to purchase everything on my own, etc. I wanted a one stop shop. I had Sears come out and give me an estimate, they are a one stop shop. Everything was on their laptop, I picked everything out, they did the measuring, etc. All I had to buy on my own was the trim and the light fixtures, they installed. I signed on the dotted line after they gave me the estimate. Gave DH a little panic attack, but I told him he left me in charge, he gets what he gets ;) I paid over $5000 for my tiny little bathroom to be remodeled, but the convenience was worth more than anything to me. It was/is fantastic. I am super thrilled with it, and am actually having them come back to do my kitchen, too!

My two mustangs, 1st one was a gt, 2nd was a 6cyl but a convertible. I traded the last one for a sensible Saturn Vue. I'm going to bust my butt to pay that off and get another mustang or maybe a Mini.
My road bike. It's a motebecane and a hybrid closer to a road bike then anything else. It wasn't anything like the cost of high end bikes but the bike, assembly and some extras have put me at around $600. That is a fortune for me. I use it constantly. It rides beautifully and I can see the difference between this and something I'd buy at Walmart.
We went to Jimmy Buffett and Dave Matthews Band this summer. Didn't cost me anything but at Dave we won upgrade to Pit tickets. I wouldn't probably do it again because toward the end it got crowded and there was a ton of standing but it was fun to be up close. For Jimmy we normally buy lawn seats. There was a sale on pit tickets and I bought them. It stormed and it was so worth it. Also, it was nice to get up and go to the bathroom and know your seat would still be there.

The addition to our house. We had 3 bedrooms upstairs for our two girls and us. Bedroom doors generally always open because of no heat vents/no central air (old farm house). Great for when you have little kids to be so close but they are now teens and we all needed some space. Plus no bathroom upstairs.

Now we have a master bedroom and bath downstairs plus a bigger living room. The small middle bedroom upstairs was turned into 2 14x4 closets for the girls, who previously had no closets at all. Everyone is happy!

We did a lot of the work ourselves (everything but the foundation and framing) and it was $20-25K.

Our WDW vacation in June. Staying in an AoA suite (vs offsite or sharing a value/mod room onsite), dining wherever we wanted, Pirates and Pals, upgrading to Annual Pass,

We upgraded 3 of us, the twins are not quite 3, to APs and got TiW, thinking we would go again June 2016, stay offsite, save money on tickets, parking, and dining--cutting our June 2015 trip price in half despite the fact that we would now have to pay for our twins and our older DS would be a Disney adult. Well, now we've planned an adults only trip to Poly in Feb, and the kids are talking us into another AoA suite. My 2-year-old daughter this morning upon seeing her Minnie Mouse sunglasses: Those are for Disney's World. We're not going to Disney's World today. Someone is in our Cars room. We have to buy our Cars room again. Or we can buy a Me-mo room." Totally worth it.

whole house generator thats tied into electric panels and 1000 gallon propane tank.

may not seem exciting or memorable-but when everyone in your neck of the woods is without power, worrying about how they are going to keep all the food in their fridge and freezer from spoiling let alone how they will get water from their well to so much as flush their toilets, keep their homes warm (when it's below zero) let alone cook something to eat............it's the splurge that keeps on giving.

In 2003 we had Geotherm Furnace/Air installed in our (1987) home that was Electricity forced air, and wood burning stove assist. Before the systems installation we'd no air conditioning (too expensive), and the wood burning was too labour intense! It was the best investment we'd ever made, and it too is the splurge that keeps on giving. :)

Last edited:
We went to the Food and Wine special event with Wolfgang Puck some years ago. It was an amazing night. We still talk about it.

Three years ago, we stayed at an upscale all-inclusive resort just south of Cancun. My in-laws have a membership at the resort and this saved us about $1000 but still cost us more than I was comfortable spending at first. Looking back at the week it was well worth every penny and one of the most incredible vacations I've ever been on.

Hotel Plaza Athenee in Paris. whew at 1000 bucks a night, I darn near had to sell a kidney lol to go but it was celebrating my best friends 5 year cancer free date so we went all out.

The wonderful guy that I married surprised us by upgrading our rooms to suites. I don't even want to know what he paid for that.

now you know why I hate that Disney calls it's resorts deluxes. no where near it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter