What to wear at Discovery Cove

brenda321

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! We are getting super excited...our Florida trip is only a few weeks away! We are spending a day at Discovery Cove and I will be doing the dolphin interaction which is something I've always wanted to do!

For those who have done this, what did you wear? I know that you have to wear a wetsuit for the dolphin experience, but I'm not sure if you put a wetsuit on when you get there, keep it on the entire time, even when eating, then take it off at the end of the day? We are going the end of May, so I'm not sure if it would be too hot keeping it on. I am guessing it would be most comfortable to wear as little as possible under the wetsuit (ex:bikini). However, there is no way I'm walking around in a bikini while not in a wetsuit. Those days are gone lol!. Normally, I wear swim shorts and a tankini top, but that seems like it would be incredibly bulky under the tight wetsuit. Is it possible to wear one suit, then take another one to change into when wearing the wetsuit? Are the lockers and changing areas nearby all of the attractions, or would it be a royal pain to keep going back to change? Thanks for any input!

You have the option of wearing either a wetsuit (short or long) or a vest....whichever you prefer.

When we go when the weather's warm, we always just wear the vest over our favourite suit (which easily zips off when you're not in the water). We only use the wetsuits when the temperatures are lower, since they are designed to help keep you warm (so far, just on our January visit).

The vest will very comfortably fit over a tankini top and swim shorts, and will allow you to use the washroom much more easily, so that's what I would go for with an end-of-May reservation :thumbsup2 .

You have the option of wearing either a wetsuit (short or long) or a vest....whichever you prefer.

When we go when the weather's warm, we always just wear the vest over our favourite suit (which easily zips off when you're not in the water). We only use the wetsuits when the temperatures are lower, since they are designed to help keep you warm (so far, just on our January visit).

The vest will very comfortably fit over a tankini top and swim shorts, and will allow you to use the washroom much more easily, so that's what I would go for with an end-of-May reservation :thumbsup2 .

Can you wear just the vest while in with the dolphins?

Not sure if you are asking if the wetsuit/vest is only for when with dolphins ....

You MUST wear one or the other at all times IN the water, any water.

I wondered the same thing I think. What does one wear under the wet suits?

I wear a one piece swimsuit under the wetsuit. I suppose you could go au naturale, but all I can think of is possibly someone else's "parts" having touched the same inside of the wetsuit that's now touching my "parts" and ....... :sick:.

Yep, I want a swimsuit underneath ::yes::.

i tend to always have rash guard shirts along for ride for both warmth and extra sun protection when out all day in Florida sun. Pop it on over swimsuit, I prefer more upper coverage when active (curvy ladies will understand).

I wear it under vest, easy enough to take off if you get too warm.

Several people have told me they have their kids wear them, seems to give confidence along with the aforementioned benefits.

We went 2 weekends ago. I wore a one piece swimsuit underneath my short wetsuit... I eventually switched into a long wetsuit because it was chilly out and I'm a big baby! :rolleyes1

We wore ours ALL day. The only inconvenience was going to the restroom. I loved wearing the wetsuit... didn't have to worry about sunscreen once!! Plus, the snorkeling (and the SeaVenture, if you're doing it) is FREEZING.

I wore the shortie wetsuit all day with a bikini on underneath (to make things easier when using the restroom :o). Like you OP, I prefer a tankini in general, but that would have been too bulky. My DH and kids wore regular swim trunks underneath. As PP mentioned, we like the sun coverage of the wetsuits, no need to reapply sunscreen too often.

All I can say is that they should give out certificates of accomplishment for getting a wet wetsuit back on your body- oh the struggle lol!

I wore the shortie wetsuit all day with a bikini on underneath (to make things easier when using the restroom :o). Like you OP, I prefer a tankini in general, but that would have been too bulky. My DH and kids wore regular swim trunks underneath. As PP mentioned, we like the sun coverage of the wetsuits, no need to reapply sunscreen too often.

All I can say is that they should give out certificates of accomplishment for getting a wet wetsuit back on your body- oh the struggle lol!

We did the same thing, wetsuit for the sun coverage. My son and I wore compression shorts under out wetsuits and it worked out very well. My wife wore a one piece and daughter a bikini underneath. For the guys, definitely go with compression shorts...I could see regular or baggy swim shorts getting a little uncomfortable under a wetsuit.

And you aren't kidding about the wetsuits being a little tough to get back on. I'm a big athletic guy and it certainly took a little work every time putting it back on. But once on it was quite comfortable.

This isn't my tip (so I'm not taking credit) but I don't remember where I read it... if you're using the wetsuits, you don't have to struggle to get the wet one back on after taking it off. You can simply take it back to the vest/wetsuit hut and turn it in for another one (a DRY one ;)).

I haven't done Discovery Cove yet, but looking too. We have wetsuits at home for various beach activities. My main swimsuit is a bikini that ties around my neck and back, I do not wear that under a wetsuit though. I have found on any wetsuit I've ever tried the neck tie is really too bulgy and gets pushed into my neck and is uncomfortable. I usually wear an athletic style bikini top that has no ties on it. So something you may want to consider with your top.

In May just forget the wetsuit and go with just the vest. We were just there on Friday and my daughter wanted to try out a wetsuit this time and lasted all of an hour- it was way to hot to be walking around all day in a wetsuit! She did the dolphin swim with just the vest. The grand reef snorkeling is cool but I would not say it was "freezing"- it was like 78 degrees but once you were in there with just the vest you are fine. Not to many people were choosing to wear wet suits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter