What to rope drop Hollywood Studios…

acarsme123

DIS Veteran
We will be there for early entry tomorrow. I plan on buying a Rise ILL (hopefully). What is best to do at early entry? Rockin Rollercoaster or Mickey Runaway RR? Seems like RnRC is the only thing on that side of the park besides TOT which we don’t like anyways. So I was thinking would it be good to head to RnRC first at early entry so we’re just done with that side of the park and aren’t crossing back and forth like we had to do at MK so many times today. I know Slinky should be a priority first LL grab as well. Thanks for any input.

Man! This seems to be the most common questions on the boards these days and the most difficult to answer. I, too, am interested because we will be there in a few weeks. Over the last few months, I've seen multiple answers over multiple threads, and I still don't know what I want to do. Answers based on experiences from a month ago are not applicable due to changes in LL/ILL designations. Disney seems to be constantly adjusting LL available times. A few weeks ago, if you didn't get ROT and SDD by 7:01 you were toast. Now it seems times are available sporadically for a few hours. Strategies that work well on busy days don't work as well on REALLY busy days and Disney reserves the right to change the park opening time for tomorrow right after you go to sleep tonight.
So........I don't have an answer for you. I'm just chiming in because mining for HS RD plans seems to be my current obsession right now and I hope you get several good replies.
Good luck tomorrow!

It seems the prevailing strategy propagated here is buy a ILL$ for ROR and have another member of your party try to secure a G+ LL for SDD at 7am. Why isn't going straight to one of those rides at early entry RD considered a good strategy? How long would you wait doing stand-by at either of those rides first thing?

Our plan the last few times has been to pay for Rise, grab smugglers with genie +, rope drop Sdd using early entry, then head over to Mickeys when done with Sdd. It stinks to pay for these things but it's worked for us lately. We don't mind rope drop and take a break mid-day so this gets 4 attractions scheduled. So far we have been able to get additional Genie+ times for the remaining rides that interest us trying to get Smugglers run early in the day to keep Genie rolling.

Last edited:
What rides are your must-dos ar HS? I think that will determine a potentially good order for rope drop.

RNR will be a walk on at rope drop. We rope dropped TOT this week and there was hardly anyone going to RNR. You’d be off it pretty quickly.

We went to tot first yesterday. At 745 there was maybe 50 people there. Probably about half the size of the tot line was rnrc line. We did tot and still pretty much walked on rnrc next twice.

Not sure if that’s how it normally is or not. So even if you did mmrr first you should still have a very low wait for rnrc.

Man! This seems to be the most common questions on the boards these days and the most difficult to answer. I, too, am interested because we will be there in a few weeks. Over the last few months, I've seen multiple answers over multiple threads, and I still don't know what I want to do. Answers based on experiences from a month ago are not applicable due to changes in LL/ILL designations. Disney seems to be constantly adjusting LL available times. A few weeks ago, if you didn't get ROT and SDD by 7:01 you were toast. Now it seems times are available sporadically for a few hours. Strategies that work well on busy days don't work as well on REALLY busy days and Disney reserves the right to change the park opening time for tomorrow right after you go to sleep tonight.
So........I don't have an answer for you. I'm just chiming in because mining for HS RD plans seems to be my current obsession right now and I hope you get several good replies.
Good luck tomorrow!
We have the same obsession right now....:rotfl:my game plan changes every day! Will be there end of April.

I followed the app this morning and checked at 7:09 and SDD was gone, by 7:12 there was SDD for sometime in the 4 o’clock hour.
Ditto on both Frozen and TT at Epcot but earlier return times .
Not sure what would’ve happened if I could have clicked all the way through, but I’m starting to think of not just grabbing anything if I don’t get my top picks at 7, and trying again starting 710.
What I can get will affect my RD strategy. If can’t get SDD will have to go there first I think

Last edited:
It seems the prevailing strategy propagated here is buy a ILL$ for ROR and have another member of your party try to secure a G+ LL for SDD at 7am. Why isn't going straight to one of those rides at early entry RD considered a good strategy? How long would you wait doing stand-by at either of those rides first thing?
It is a good strategy if that is your priority. I have always gone with trying to do rides first thing that have low waits. Am I going to get through SDD in the time it would take me to do TOT and RNR? If I can get the genie+ (FP+ previously) for SDD then it’s like having 3 shortish lines vs 1 If I RD the other 2.

The two times we have rope dropped Slinky dog with early entry we have arrived about 8am ish, we ended up in line about where Toy Story Mania is but they were holding the start of the line around the corner about halfway to where you enter the covered part of the que. At 8:30 they opened the ride and its essentially a slow walk on. I want to say we were off the ride at 8:39 or so.

We will be there for early entry tomorrow. I plan on buying a Rise ILL (hopefully). What is best to do at early entry? Rockin Rollercoaster or Mickey Runaway RR? Seems like RnRC is the only thing on that side of the park besides TOT which we don’t like anyways. So I was thinking would it be good to head to RnRC first at early entry so we’re just done with that side of the park and aren’t crossing back and forth like we had to do at MK so many times today. I know Slinky should be a priority first LL grab as well. Thanks for any input.
Well, you have already done your EE by now. Please report back what you did and how it worked out! I will take a crack anyways and am interested in what others think.

Like others have said, this has been a moving target. One thing I am still trying to assess is which DHS rides open at the strict 30 minutes EE and which cheat open a little earlier. It seems that RnR (and ToT which is not on your radar) do not seem to cheat early. ROTR does cheat early if it is operating OK that morning. Other things seem a bit hit or miss.

If MMRR cheats early then that is better than RnR. Start there. If they both open straight up at EE I would probably do RnR first then MMRRR, but I am not sure it matters that much during EE.

We are headed in two weeks and curious also. Our advantage is my niece doesn't want most of the big rides so we are going to EE for Mickey Runway. I don't see many doing that first so I'm hoping lots of EE are pulled to the RNR, ToT, Rise, etc. and our wait won't be long. Going to try without G+, if we can.

Hope that someone can help. We're going to HS on May 2nd and the only reason we're going is to ride Rockin' Rollercoaster and seevStar Wars area. There will be 4 of us (DD24, DD22 (celebrating college graduation), DH & I) we haven't been in HS since 2008 (yep, long time-but we're thrill ride lovers and have riden all the top coasters in the US), we're staying at Dolphin.

Here are the questions:

1. Should we try and get LL for RoR and just go to Rockin' Rollercoaster at rope drop?
2. Is G+ worth buying for one day?
3. We have reservations for Oga's at 9 am & 9:45 pm - which is better?

BTW, I'm the Star Wars fanatic since 1977 when I saw the original 9x the week it opened and went to the premiere of Empire Strike Back, so a fan since way before Disney bought the rights to it.

Hope it's ok for me to ask on this thread.

TIA!

Hope that someone can help. We're going to HS on May 2nd and the only reason we're going is to ride Rockin' Rollercoaster and seevStar Wars area. There will be 4 of us (DD24, DD22 (celebrating college graduation), DH & I) we haven't been in HS since 2008 (yep, long time-but we're thrill ride lovers and have riden all the top coasters in the US), we're staying at Dolphin.

Here are the questions:

1. Should we try and get LL for RoR and just go to Rockin' Rollercoaster at rope drop?

BTW, I'm the Star Wars fanatic since 1977 when I saw the original 9x the week it opened and went to the premiere of Empire Strike Back, so a fan since way before Disney bought the rights to it.

Hope it's ok for me to ask on this thread.

TIA!
You can get ILL for ROTR at 7AM - well you can try! They are hard to get. IMO that is a no-brainer unless you all are fine waiting a few hours in line. In that case do RnR at rope drop.

Being a SW fan I would think you will want to do MFSR. You could RD RnR then head to MFSR right away and do standby. If you do that then G+ does not seem to be worth it for you.

Oga's? Hard to say. Do you plan to buy an alcoholic drink there? That is hard to think about at 9AM! OTOH, I am wondering if you will run out of steam by 9:45PM.

Last edited:
Initially I was thinking MMRR, and then MFSR if the line isn't too bad for our rope drop morning, but hearing about ROTR opening earlier, if we get there pretty early for the early entry, maybe that would be our best first stop, and then MFSR....

We will still get G+ but don't need SDD, so I'm planning to G+ MFSR first, MMRR if we can get it at the next drop and also get ILL$ for Rise at 7. We've really been excited for seeing Galaxy's edge, so if we can get on the star wars rides twice, it would be awesome... but ROTR at rope drop is in flux, I can't decide which way to go, but have some time to see how things are going when our trip gets closer.

1. I would advise to try and get $LL for RotR and RD RnRC ... RotR is a ride that has a lot of moving parts and often is down at park open so you could waste early entry trying to RD that one. RnRC is more consistently open during EE.
2. I think it is at Hollywood Studios because you can do Smuggler's Run and a few other rides.
3. I like the 9:45 time after park close because you could get in line for a ride at closing time and then go to your reservation instead of 9 am which basically means going during the only part of the morning that has somewhat shorter waits.

1. I would advise to try and get $LL for RotR and RD RnRC ... RotR is a ride that has a lot of moving parts and often is down at park open so you could waste early entry trying to RD that one. RnRC is more consistently open during EE.
2. I think it is at Hollywood Studios because you can do Smuggler's Run and a few other rides.
3. I like the 9:45 time after park close because you could get in line for a ride at closing time and then go to your reservation instead of 9 am which basically means going during the only part of the morning that has somewhat shorter waits.

With ToT having only 1 side open, that should be Rope Drop over RnRC. Can get on ToT and RnRC right after quicker than if reverse it.

With ToT having only 1 side open, that should be Rope Drop over RnRC. Can get on ToT and RnRC right after quicker than if reverse it.
Oh, I agree! But OP of the thread and this question indicates that ToT wasn’t on their list

I do not understand the people who rope drop AND pay for ILL unless their trip is super short. You can easily rope drop Slinky and get to Railway before it backs up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter