what to pack for an 18mo old??!!

gillis95

Mouseketeer
We are taking our first trip (with baby) in February. He'll be 18mo old then. Any advice or tips on essentials that we should bring. What are those things that you wish you had brought? What can we easily buy at WDW? Any advice appreciated.

Hi,
If your 18 month old uses bottles/sippy cups, bring a brush and dish soap to clean them. We used q-tips to get into the hard to reach spots, and used a cheap 99 cent cleaning brush, then tossed it out at the end of the trip. I would also bring seperate trash bags to put dirty diapers in. This helps to keep the odor in the bag (if you tie it us).

I was glad I brought:
Lots of extra outfits (simplier the better) packed in ziplock bags, both to hotel and in park
Large stroller with restraining belt (enough said)(Also used stroller for diaper changes-there are many out of the way places to do this)
light small blanket (for cooler evenings)
crib music box (we drove so we had the space)
crackers for in the park (also fruit chews,ziplock bags to store pieces of fruit etc)
disposable bibs
wipes in small ziplock bags
motrin for children (had some sinus headaches from changes in air molds, pollen etc)
swim diapers
neosporin (sp) scrapes and cuts happen

I noticed you'll be staying at VWL so you'll be able to do laundry. Take a stain stick so you can treat those "accidents" and wash later. I second the band-aids, neosporin, etc, and would add a thermometer.

Most important thing to bring are whatever "comfort" items your son needs. If he can't go to sleep without a certain toy, or blanket, make sure you bring it!

I buy diapers & wipes in bulk at Sam's Club, so I always pack those. Also, the disposable sippy cups are great and you can toss any that get nasty. I love the Pampers Bibsters (disposable bibs) for trips -- wouldn't pay to use them at home, but great for trips! I always take a box of gallon Ziploc bags -- mostly use these when disposing of poopy diapers in my hotel room garbage -- no smell at all!

If your child uses a pacifier, take extras -- we lost two in Disney Land in March. Thank goodness I finally broke that habit.

Take some books, and small toys for the car/plane/train. And I always take one stuffed animal from home to sleep with.

EthansMom

sunscreen, lots of wipes, and if you are doing a water park a cover-up that won't let the sun through! My DD got a nasty burn, not blisters but bad, through her t-shirt when she was little. I learned a lesson that year. Taking my DGS this year and I feel like I am starting over...I can't wait! OH! Don't forget the film!!!

We went with our 17mnth old last March. We were flying so we didn't pack many of the essentials (diapers, wipes, snack foods, etc.) because we knew were going to the food store when we got there (we had rented a car but most transportation companies will do a food stop also).

I agree with keeping the clothes simple so you can mix and match but don't go crazy packing a ton of clothes. I packed so many outfits for my son because I didn't want to do laundry when I was there and I ended up doing a ton of it anyway. I am going in August and I am packing half the clothes because I know that no matter what I am going to be doing ton of laundry.

Think about renting a crib from a local company. We stayed at the Dolphin and had decided to use their cribs and it was a mistake. It was very clean but not full sized. The rails only came up to our son's waist when he stood up and the length was about the size of a pack and play, maybe even smaller. We let him sleep in it the first night because it was so late but then rented a crib from ALL ABOUT KIDS the next day. It was much better although not as clean. I spent some time cleaning it before we let him sleep in it. It was definitely worth the extra money he slept much better.

have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter