What to do with leftover points?

darly2004

Mouseketeer
We had planned on using our 2019 points, but had to cancel due to COVID. We have now banked it into the 2020 use year. However, I don't think we feel comfortable going to Disney in the next year. We thought about using David's, but saw some posts with concerns so are now unsure about it. I know there is a rental board here and am wondering if anyone has experience with it. If someone books with you, can they still back out and you have to refund? Do you have to have a large amount of points to rent them out or is small amount ok? I prefer to just rent them out and not have to deal with cancellations and etc. We have always used our points, so this is new for us. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Don’t think you can transfer banked points

The terms of the rental would be up to you as the owner and most do non refundable. Some owners allow renters to change dates, based on availability. Some do not.

I think there is a market for any amount of points. Right now, the market is going to be competing with what may be some good cash discounts from Disney more than it had been so the price is most likely going to be less than it had been.

You are right..banked points can’t be transferred. If you do decide to use them to rent a reservation, be sure to have a contract and include exactly what would happen if the resorts closed again or any other type of force of nature, as well as any terms you want.

The terms of the rental would be up to you as the owner and most do non refundable. Some owners allow renters to change dates, based on availability. Some do not.

I think there is a market for any amount of points. Right now, the market is going to be competing with what may be some good cash discounts from Disney more than it had been so the price is most likely going to be less than it had been.

You are right..banked points can’t be transferred. If you do decide to use them to rent a reservation, be sure to have a contract and include exactly what would happen if the resorts closed again or any other type of force of nature, as well as any terms you want.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did look into transferring, but realized that's not possible. Is there a generic contract we can find somewhere?

You cannot transfer banked points.
I have discovered it recently while trying to do a transfer.
You can rent them on this website adding few points from the following year if not enough to make the reservation?

They are your points and if you decide to rent them you can set the terms. Some people ask for full non-refundable payment upfront. Others break up the payments. It’s up to you to set the terms as long as you find a renter willing to accept them. I have found it easier to rent small blocks of points but your mileage may vary.

My suggestion is that you rent them out yourself. More flexibility and you are in control. The DVC rental companies are still trying to sort things out in my opinion. Be sure to use a contract.

Checkout the rental threads in the DVC rent/trade forum to get an idea of what owners are asking for with their rentals,

We had planned on using our 2019 points, but had to cancel due to COVID. We have now banked it into the 2020 use year. However, I don't think we feel comfortable going to Disney in the next year. We thought about using David's, but saw some posts with concerns so are now unsure about it. I know there is a rental board here and am wondering if anyone has experience with it. If someone books with you, can they still back out and you have to refund? Do you have to have a large amount of points to rent them out or is small amount ok? I prefer to just rent them out and not have to deal with cancellations and etc. We have always used our points, so this is new for us. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Not necessarily a suggestion - just what WE did.

1) WDW was going to steal our banked points anyway. EXP 3-2021.
2) We looked into renting. Lawsuits flying through the air like Seagulls in Tomorrow Land :(.

So we went totally off script. We DONATED the points that WDW was going to steal anyway, to a lovely couple with two wonderful daughters - within driving distance of WDW :). Yup, got on the DVC site & booked 'em, FREE :).

Now?

1) We feel pretty good :). EVERYONE is happy :).
2) WDW can't steal the points :).
3) No Lawsuits :).

Might not be for everyone... but a LOT of DVC members, over the years, have friends within WDW driving distance :). With wonderful children. Just a suggestion?

Would you prefer a large Corporation, stealing points for profit?
OR - would you like to make a dear family happy?

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

Not sure the link will work, but I use a modified version of this.

https://www.disboards.com/attachments/dvc-rental-contract-comprehensive-zip.374544/

Thanks for the link.

We've been renting though DIS for three years now and our experiences have always been good :) Just make sure you do you due diligence, get references, and agree on terms you're comfortable with.

Sorry if this sounds dumb. You mean, references for the renters? Would you recommend not renting to people without references?

Not necessarily a suggestion - just what WE did.

1) WDW was going to steal our banked points anyway. EXP 3-2021.
2) We looked into renting. Lawsuits flying through the air like Seagulls in Tomorrow Land :(.

So we went totally off script. We DONATED the points that WDW was going to steal anyway, to a lovely couple with two wonderful daughters - within driving distance of WDW :). Yup, got on the DVC site & booked 'em, FREE :).

Now?

1) We feel pretty good :). EVERYONE is happy :).
2) WDW can't steal the points :).
3) No Lawsuits :).

Might not be for everyone... but a LOT of DVC members, over the years, have friends within WDW driving distance :). With wonderful children. Just a suggestion?

Would you prefer a large Corporation, stealing points for profit?
OR - would you like to make a dear family happy?

That was very kind of you. When you say lawsuits, do you mean with the rental companies or with individuals who rent out their points as well? I definitely would not mind giving the points away if needed, especially since it's pretty small anyway. It will be enough to pay our MF though, so got to think about it. Plus, where do you find deserving families if you don't know anyone locally? We really go every couple years, so never really made friends while we are there.

I didn't have a ton of points and gave them to a relative who had recently had Covid. I do not feel its safe for me to go right now, and this felt like the most ethical way I could use them, they would have expired in January.

I would feel comfortable renting out points.

I had banked points that were going to expire at the end of the month. I ended up a getting a room for a friend who otherwise wouldn’t have been able to stay at a deluxe. She had a wonderful time. That was payment enough for me.

Have you thought about doing an alternative vacation at Vero or Hilton Head?

I was at Hilton Head in March when they had to close, and I felt perfectly safe with the precautions being taken at the time. It's a beautiful resort and the area is fantastic. You get the Disney feel there, almost better than at WDW.

The villas are clustered but all have their own outdoor entrance and if you get a 1 or 2 bedroom, you can cook in your room, get delivery or go out for take out or dine in, if you are brave enough (I'm not there yet.)

I've moved my 2020 November vacation points into a March 2021 trip, because I'm not ready for WDW parks yet. July and August = too hot for me. Going into the fall with the shortened hours and the possibility of back to regular numbers - I'm not going to waste my tickets on something that makes me feel uncomfortable. But, in general, I'm not afraid to stay in a hotel and do socially distanced activities where most are safely masked. But theme parks, theaters, dining in, to name a few not yet ready.

Have you thought about doing an alternative vacation at Vero or Hilton Head?

I was at Hilton Head in March when they had to close, and I felt perfectly safe with the precautions being taken at the time. It's a beautiful resort and the area is fantastic. You get the Disney feel there, almost better than at WDW.

The villas are clustered but all have their own outdoor entrance and if you get a 1 or 2 bedroom, you can cook in your room, get delivery or go out for take out or dine in, if you are brave enough (I'm not there yet.)

I've moved my 2020 November vacation points into a March 2021 trip, because I'm not ready for WDW parks yet. July and August = too hot for me. Going into the fall with the shortened hours and the possibility of back to regular numbers - I'm not going to waste my tickets on something that makes me feel uncomfortable. But, in general, I'm not afraid to stay in a hotel and do socially distanced activities where most are safely masked. But theme parks, theaters, dining in, to name a few not yet ready.

I was just there at Hilton head. Very safe on property but it’s a different t ball game once you cross the bridge.

If I could find extra points to use next month, I would know exactly what to do with them :):mickeyjum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter