• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do with leftover hamburger patties?

I usually freeze them, then take them to work for lunches.

1. Crumble them up, mix them in with country gravy mix, and serve them over mashed potatoes.

2. Get a tube of Grands. Flatten each muffin out. Fill it with the hamburger, a spoonful of pizza sauce, and a spoonful of mozzarella cheese. Seal the edges and use an egg wash on top...sprinkle garlic salt or other favorite pizza seasoning on top. Bake according to the temp on the tube of rolls until they're golden brown.

3. Make SOS. Crumble them up. Make white sauce. Add the hamburger and some frozen peas to it. Serve over toast.

4. How about taco salad? Crumble them up. Warm them in a pan with taco spices (chili powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cumin). Put lettuce, tomato, diced tomato, and cheddar cheese in bowls. Put the warmed hamburger over this. Top with sour cream, olives, and crumbled taco shells or taco chips.

5. Bisquick Roll: Mix a batch of bisquick for biscuits. Layer half in the bottom of a bread pan. Spoon the crumbled meat, creamed cheese, and worstershire sauce in the middle. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with the rest of the dough. Bake at 350 until golden brown. Slice and serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SillyKids
We make something called "hobo stew" you take a hamburger patty (uncooked but you could just do the veggies & add them since yours are cooked) lay it inside a piece of foil, cut up carrots & potatoes put those on top of the patty, fold the foil over & bake.

We used to do something similar to this when camping as a kid. I don't remember, do you add soup mix or condensed soup or any water in the foil packet?

1 lb. ground beef browned
Onions to taste
1 tsp. salt
1 can vegetable soup
1/4 c. ketchup
Water

Let cook on low heat until onions are almost done. Pour in 1 can vegetable soup and 1/2 can water and 1/4 c. ketchup. Let simmer about 15 minutes. Serve on toasted buns or instant potatoes.

I think you are thinking of CAMP STEW....

1 lb. ground beef browned
Onions to taste
1 tsp. salt
1 can vegetable soup
1/4 c. ketchup
Water

Let cook on low heat until onions are almost done. Pour in 1 can vegetable soup and 1/2 can water and 1/4 c. ketchup. Let simmer about 15 minutes. Serve on toasted buns or instant potatoes.

No...what this poster is talking about is really called Hobo Stew. I always thought it was a Southern thing. It is so good! It always amazed me that you start out with raw hamburger meat and you end up with such a yummy meal. The carrots and potatoes cook in the hamburger juices. My mom made this all the time when I was growing up. Makes me want to make it for dinner! It is super easy, too.

Lunches.

My go to besides left-overs is a tupperware of sliced turkey burgers and sliced veggies.

I make a left-over chili, crumple them up, toss in some sauteed veggies top with salsa and simmer for 10 mins or so. It takes 30 seconds in the micro to heat up.

So need to try the Cream of Mushroom with left-over meat. I make it with fresh pork-chops all the time.

I do realize there is such a thing as HOBO STEW...I did not mean to quote the entire previous post...it was actually 2 posters in one post...the second half of the post was a response to HOBO STEW....
We used to do something similar to this when camping as a kid. I don't remember, do you add soup mix or condensed soup or any water in the foil packet?

My response was to the above...there is a stew with soup that many campers made as kids...it is CAMP STEW and that's what I thought the PP might be thinking of so I posted the recipe....By the way...I camp in the Summer, and HOBO STEW sounds like a neat recipe to try with the kids....

LIZ

Put your hamburger patties in a baking dish. Slice Potatoes (thin) and onions on top of hamb patties. Add cream of mushroom soup on top of pot and onion. Do not add water to cream of mush. Cover with foil. Bake 45 min @ 350. This is so good.

Can you do this with regular ground beef?

Lots of good ideas above but I would not put them through a meat grinder or food processor (again). Instead I would choose one of the other ideas.

For the mac' & cheese or the tomato sauce I would cut them into inch sized pieces instead of crumble them. Make believe meatballs, like.

Can you do this with regular ground beef?

Yep, that's how we usually do it. Brown the ground meat, either stir in cream of mushroom soup or just pour it over the top or the meat, potato and onion layers. I like to add salt and peppter. It's really quite yummy.

Thanks to everyone and your great ideas. :thumbsup2 :cool1:

My husband's ritual is to BBQ extra burgers then make his chili toast for him and the kids the next day.

He heats up a can of chili in a fry pan, sits the leftover burgers on top and then covers and simmers on low for at least 30 minutes. They get nice and tender. Then he splits and toasts sourdough rolls, sits the burger with chili on top on it then he broils cheddar cheese on top.

They love it. My ritual is to leave the house so I don't have to breathe what happens next. :p

I cook several patties on the grill. I put them in a large ziplock bag and freeze them. I then take out what I need for a "quickie" meal.

I add all the leftover "grill" things, like hamburgers, sausage, hotdogs, and kielbasas that have been in the freezer to the crockpot and make an awesome pasta bolognese sauce (red sauce with sausage). :thumbsup2

Cook it all day, eat it a lot on the weekend, freeze the rest. You don't have to cut them up before you put them in the crockpot, just break them up with a spoon as they're cooking all day.

You could make a sort of salisbury steak, make a brown gravy and simmer them in it for a bit to make them tender. I put my fave cheese on top of the patties and serve with rice or potatoes. Yummy!!

Hmmm...really sounds yummy. I'll try this sometimes. :) Have a nice day everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter