What to do while in Southern California in addition to Disneyland??

Thanks Sherry for the detailed info on Catalina! I've only been over there once when I was in high school and we were staying at a camp on the other side of the island so although we took a trip to Avalon, it was different than if we were spending the whole time doing touristy things. I really want to go back sometime but the price of the boat ride over is what keeps me away. :sad1: We'll have to put it on our list of places we want to go see.

It sounds like you were camping where another one of our DIS-ers, Callmeblissful, was camping - she just described it in my Trip Report. It was the 'uncivilized' side of the Island, probably close to Two Harbors (where Natalie Wood died), but not quite there. Callmeblissful didn't spend any time in Avalon, looking in cute shops or doing the golf cart rental or the cool tours! She was stuck in the campground where there was nothing good at all!

The boat is more expensive than it was the last time I was there, but I know, for me personally, just because of previous trips I have had, it is more than worth the price. But it is hard to justify high prrices for things I love (be it DLR or Catalina) to people who are not as 'on board' for that sort of thing. Sadly, not many 'attractions' in SoCal are cheap, so I guess that is one of the perils of doing fun stuff out here.:sad2:

I just looked it up again. The Catalina Express is $66.50 for a roundtrip ticket for adults and $51 for kids 2-11, except if you take it from Dana point it is $68.50 and $53 which is unfortunate that it is more expensive there since I like Dana Point (used to live near there) but that's Orange County for you.

Wow!!!:scared1: I had no idea it was that much to take the Catalina Express. I guess I might have to do a bit more of figuring. That would be like $235.00 just to get over to Catalina.:sad2:

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like you were camping where another one of our DIS-ers, Callmeblissful, was camping - she just described it in my Trip Report. It was the 'uncivilized' side of the Island, probably close to Two Harbors (where Natalie Wood died), but not quite there. Callmeblissful didn't spend any time in Avalon, looking in cute shops or doing the golf cart rental or the cool tours! She was stuck in the campground where there was nothing good at all!

The boat is more expensive than it was the last time I was there, but I know, for me personally, just because of previous trips I have had, it is more than worth the price. But it is hard to justify high prrices for things I love (be it DLR or Catalina) to people who are not as 'on board' for that sort of thing. Sadly, not many 'attractions' in SoCal are cheap, so I guess that is one of the perils of doing fun stuff out here.:sad2:

We were at a camp that I think was owned or run (?) by YMCA. I think it was called Camp Fox or something. I wouldn't say there was nothing good at all there. One day we hiked to the top of a hill that looked out over the ocean which was nice. We also had access to some row boats that we could take a little ways out in the water. And then we had our day in Avalon which was fun too. We didn't get to do any tours but we looked in the shops and I think we got some pizza somewhere for lunch.

Wow!!!:scared1: I had no idea it was that much to take the Catalina Express. I guess I might have to do a bit more of figuring. That would be like $235.00 just to get over to Catalina.:sad2:

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I wish the boat ride was cheaper. I guess the price surprises me because it's just a short ferry ride to get to the destination. Someday I'll have to just do it though. Good luck making a decision!

DizGirl20 looks like busy trip. I am about split on two trips right now - it is between Catalina and San Diego Zoo? My 12 year old daughter would like Catalina but our 2 year old daughter would love the zoo. (She would go nuts at the zoo) My husband is a big La Jolla fan (I think he likes to dream) and my older daughter is a shopaholic. How was the shopping in La Jolla? What is Point Loma? My biggest concern with SD zoo is being able to do it in a day with the drive from Anaheim? We are also starting to think we shouldn't do anything but Disney on this trip and then maybe plan a trip to the SD area another time when we can spend 4-5 days there.

I noticed you did not list Disneyland for your trip? Did you go at all? Have you been before? We have never done WDW and are excited to try it out but we will have to wait 3-5 years when are little one can fly that distance.
Thanks for all the information - sounds like you had a great trip.:goodvibes

Re the zoo - if you get an early start with the extended summer hours at the zoo you'll have no problem seeing most of it - unless you're the type to stand in front of the polar bears ( or cats, or...) for 30 min each.
We live 30 min away from Disneyland and actually are zoo members - we go down a couple of times a year usually. As long as you're not driving during rush hour or Comicon Weekend ( July 24 or so ), it shouldn't take more than 90 min or 2 hr max. A lot of the drive is near the coast - you can even break up the trip for the little one if you need to by stopping at the beach.

Take the bus tour - it's a little extra but first it will take you all around to show you the key areas and you'll get the lay of the land - and after that you can jump on and off at 5 different spots - very handy since the zoo is very hilly.

It's a world-class zoo - really beautiful. They say the value of the plants there actually exceeds the value of the animals! And the new area for the elephants is really nice - lots of extra kid-friendly info there.

It will be a long day, but I think you'll find it worth the trip.

I have had APs for Disneyland for 20 years now. I hope you've got a few days there! Make sure you get there at openning - you'll do more in the first 3 hours or so than the rest of the day ( the crowds start showing up around 11 or 12 ). And take advantage of Fast Passes. Lots of hints on the forum for DL. I find it more charming than the Magic Kingdom - lots less walking too.

We were at a camp that I think was owned or run (?) by YMCA. I think it was called Camp Fox or something. I wouldn't say there was nothing good at all there. One day we hiked to the top of a hill that looked out over the ocean which was nice. We also had access to some row boats that we could take a little ways out in the water. And then we had our day in Avalon which was fun too. We didn't get to do any tours but we looked in the shops and I think we got some pizza somewhere for lunch.

Yeah, I wish the boat ride was cheaper. I guess the price surprises me because it's just a short ferry ride to get to the destination. Someday I'll have to just do it though. Good luck making a decision!

You must have had pizza at one of the Antonio's restaurants. There are two of them in Avalon - a hole in the wall place on a side street and the main restaurant with a full menu along the waterfront. I love Antonio's!

I just posted even more Catalina pictures in my TR - on Page 30 (the other ones are on Page 26). You can see how much fun we all had there over the years, acting silly. I am not happy about the boat fare, but it is no more shocking to me than Disney prices these days. It just all depends on what each person/family feels is worth spending the money on for them. Many folks I know don't think that Disney's prices are worth it at all, even with all you get form a trip there, but clearly I feel differently (even if I am not happy about those prices, either)!!

I just came from the Costco in Fountain Valley CA ( not far from DL really ) and they had a $100 catalina gift certificate for $79. Looked like it could be used on at least one of the boats. Didn't have time to look too closely - but that might help if you do go there.

You can get costco locations from their site - I know there is one in Fullerton and another in Garden Grove that aren't far from DL.

Thanks Icasa for the info. We are starting to think that maybe we should just stay at Disney and enjoy all the beauty, especially since we have Annual Passes and our rooms are already booked at the VGC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter