• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do in Hilton Head?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I booked 5 nights in August at HHI DVC but I'm on the fence about going - as I feel aside from golf and the beach there isn't much else there for my family of 5. We are 2 adults, 2 16 yo boys and 9 yo DD.

For those of you who have been there what is there to do aside from the beach, pool and golf - any great nature preserves? Any good activities at the resort?

What is the weather like this time of year? I know that is into hurricane season so that might be a factor to contend with.

Any tips you can provide to make it a fun and interesting trips is greatly appreciated!

Biking, hiking, fishing. Yes, there are nature preserves, I haven't been to them yet though.

Love HHI and been a few times, admittedly staying at different resorts on the island. Kids have been under 12 on all trips. We did kayaking, mini golf, Tuesday night fireworks, pirate cruise, dolphin cruise, biking and lots of pool time.

We have visited HHI in August a few times with our daughter. We don't stay at the DVC resort, we stay in Sea Pines. A day visit to Sea Pines you can shop, see the lighthouse, rent bikes. We bike all over. Mini golf is fun. We haven't done it but kids really enjoy the pirate or dolphin cruises. Throughout the island there are many nature preserves to hike.
Near the DVC resort there is a entertaient district- shopping and dining - called Shelter Cove. It's busy in the evenings during summer. There will be fireworks shot off on Tuesdays.
Things everyone has mentioned.

ETA Weather is typical "beach weather." Can be beautifully sunny with a sudden pop up thunderstorm then right back to sunny. It is very humid all day and into the evening.

If you are on FB, there is a wonderful group of HH owners and it is constantly filled with exactly the type of suggestions you need. Kayaking, boat tours, island tours, museum visits, Savannah day trips....lots to do!

Favorite, favorite resort. As mentioned above: bike, hike, kayak, fish and crab off pier, golf, mini-golf. There's also a nearby community theater, lots of wonderful places to eat (some in walking distance), shopping outlets just across bridge on mainland. Boat ride to Dafuskie Island or short drive to Savannah.

A nice day trip would be to go to Hunting Island state park especially if you like light houses. Beaufort is on the way and a great town to walk by the river. It is starting to get a little touristy but not bad.

Luthers is a great place to eat in Beaufort. Try the chicken wings and ask for them to be crispy.

We loved the dolphin/vanishing island cruise that we chartered from the marina right next to the resort. We bring our bikes and ride everywhere. Or you can rent there on the island. DS loves feeding apple slices to the horses at the Sea Pines Stables.

Last edited:
Bring binoculars. We could sit in the wooden swing in back of the Main Lodge and watch the birds and various wildlife in Broad Creek for hours. Not so sure about the kids.
Perhaps your kids would enjoy playing pool in Big Murgie's Den.

Attachments

• C037D817-F888-47D0-A032-134A0943F541.jpeg
    C037D817-F888-47D0-A032-134A0943F541.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 5
We ended up booking a trip to Hilton Head last year as we were not quite comfortable being back in the parks. I swore we would never use our points on anything but the Disney Parks resorts, but we needed to use or lose the points. I planned out many things to do including trips to Savannah and Charleston, different restaurants, etc. We ended up doing almost none of it. We ended up doing the Vanishing Island/Dolphin tour which was amazing! We never made it to anything else we planned other than resort activities, a few restaurants, and the beach because we fell in love with the resort. It is full of the Disney Magic that I feel like sometimes gets lost in Florida. The cast members are amazing and we spent most of the week at the pool, beach house, or doing activities around the resort. It was the vacation I didn’t know I needed and was absolutely amazing. It was so relaxing and wonderful we ended up buying DHHIR points after our stay. Before we went I was so worried about being bored or having nothing to do. DHHIR is really special, and there is a reason people keep coming back every year. It is worth a visit at least once, but my only advice is to be careful as you most likely will want to come back.

HHI is a very laid back feel. In my opinion perfect for relaxing and doing things on a whim rather than having to plan for outings. We did the sea kayaking near the resort and our kids liked it quite a bit. Like others have mentioned, there are bike trails to take all around the island. Have only been there in March, but have had friends go in August and have said weather is really hot then. Then again we are from Canada so point of reference is very different.

1. offshore fishing
2. day trips to Savannah or Charleston
3. marsh excursions (dolphin tours, kayak tours, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter