What time to arrive at MCO?

How far in advance of the flight to arrive?

• 2 hours

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • 2 hours, 15 minutes

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 2 hours, 30 minutes

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • 2 hours, 45 minutes

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 3 hours

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • other

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
We just returned Monday from MCO to DFW. Flight was at 1:33pm. We arrived at the airport before noon, had to return the rental car (there are no easy gas stations near the airport that we could find coming from WDW, so we actually had to drive through the aiport and get gas on the other side). Easy rental car return and walk over. Security was a disaster. We all had TSA Pre check except DH, who has Concierge Key with AA (highest status, above Exp Platinum) and was traveling first class so had Priority. At MCO Priority is just a shorter line to get your ID checked, but then dumps you into the general security line to wait for the scanners. With TSA Pre, we got through in about 10-15 minutes, but TSA agents were terribly rude to my parents. Shameful. Anyway, my husband nearly missed the flight as it took an hour for him to get through security, and that was after they opened an additional lane right in front of him (would have been 1.5 hours otherwise).

Our flight was delayed by 2 hours due to weather in Dallas, so he made it but it was crazy. That security is ridiculous. I don’t know if there is any other security entrance we could have used besides the one between terminals A and B (we were flying out of B)? Does anyone know?

We did fly into Tampa in December because the flights were cheaper and rental car was cheap. That airport was a dream date in terms of security (took one minute) and crowds. After being in crowds at the parks, I was glad TPA was not like MCO. We will strongly consider TPA in the future, though the drive from MCO to the Beach Club was very quick (around 25 minutes), and the drive from TPA was around 1 hour 15 in pretty light traffic. But it was much less stressful at the airport.

If your trip is some time in the future, I would strongly consider getting TSA pre for your entire party. It helps a LOT at MCO. And don’t count on being given it any longer, as they have severely cut back the “free” TSA pre since those who paid for it were complaining about longer lines with folks in the line who didn’t know what they were doing.

Maybe so, but I have still consistently gotten TSA Precheck everytime I fly to FL, 2-3 times per year on SWA. And again I’ve probably jinxed myself! I have also found wait times for security swing wildly from super crowded to 10-15 minutes and, if you wait & watch, you can jump in a shorter line.
On that November trip, I had precheck but son & dil did not. When we first arrived, wait time was listed at 45 minutes. But that was the peak and it kept going down from there. 30 minutes later wait time was 6 minutes & thats when we got in line.

I’m sure this is not always the case and we always take the 7pm or later flights, but it does work pretty consistently for us.

I have always had(and I know I just jinxed myself!!!) good luck at MCO and like Goofy4tink (Hi Diane!!! Been a long time since I've been on. How's your daughter?) arrive no more than 90 minutes early. Have never needed more than an hour to check my bags with SWA, clear security, take a potty break & get to my gate in time for boarding. And forget my home airport (Hartford CT). I can go from drop off to gate in 10 minutes there!!

Hey, Pooch, we are flying in and out of Hartford! DD lives in Newington so I'm driving down so we can fly together. Good to know about BDL! DD says an hour in advance is PLENTY of time- and now that I have confirmation, I'll relax!

Hey, Pooch, we are flying in and out of Hartford! DD lives in Newington so I'm driving down so we can fly together. Good to know about BDL! DD says an hour in advance is PLENTY of time- and now that I have confirmation, I'll relax!

I was flying out on a Tuesday afternoon in late February, 2017 4:00 flight. Got dropped off at 2:20 and was at the gate at 2:35. That included checking a bag, TSA with Precheck, stops for bathroom and Dunkin Donuts. Ok maybe it was 2:40 after DD. But BDL is incredibly quick & easy.

TSA and the airlines typically recommend 2 hours before flight time. Opinions will vary wildly from that. In general, I will arrive at an airport an hour before flight time. Earlier for international. I know that gives some folks heart palpitations. :)

MCO can be a mess at any given time. They do always seem to have the largest number of people that don’t listen or understand the instructions given at security. If you’re nervous or concerned, I’d say be there at least 2 hours early. Do the 2:15 if you’re returning a car.

I always try to get to MCO about 2 1/2 hours before the flight - because it is completely unpredictable. For reference, I am that person who would rather chill in the airport stress-free than stay an extra 30 minutes in my hotel worrying about getting stuck in traffic, security, etc.

My timeline yesterday for my 12:25 pm flight out of Orlando - Terminal A, gate 16 (I know these times because I was traveling alone, and texted my husband at certain points).
9:32 am Pulled into Wawa to fill up the rental car before return
9:43 am Hertz car rental return finished and the voyage from the parking garage to security began
10:09 am Through security and on my way to the tram (posted security screening time was posted as 21-29 minutes when I entered the line)
10:18 am Sitting in The Club lounge with my pancakes (love that machine)

I have traveled through MCO about a dozen times in the past year - my experiences have been vastly different each time (this was one of the easiest ever, even with having pre-check on other trips). Security lines are highly unpredictable and the time of day and day of the week have a huge impact on wait times.

My answer would depend on that rental car that you are returning. Are you using an in the terminal car rental company, or one where you have to take a shuttle to the rental place? If a shuttle is involved, I'd say arrive at the car drop off three hours ahead. We almost missed a flight once when we had to wait more than 45 minutes for the shuttle to take us to the terminal, and then TSA was backed up once we got there.

I'd definitely rather sit at the gate for an extra hour than be standing in line at TSA or some other point in the process worrying that I was going to be cutting it too close. I like to be sitting at the gate 1 hour before departure. A calm family is a happy family. A stressed and frazzled family is not a good travel situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter