What THINGS/ITEMS Do I Need for a Summer Trip?

RyMickey

Disney Freak
We're heading on our first summer trip in the heat and humidity for the first time in probably two decades. What items/things do you suggest taking with you to beat the heat. Happy to be linked to any items you've bought from Amazon or whatnot in order to give us some ideas.

I'm obviously concerned about the dehydration aspect of things especially all of us are 20 years older than when we last went! We'd always take plastic water bottles into the park before, but I'm thinking we may need something more than that this time (although the counter to that is I'm hesitant about something too, too bulky to carry).

We don't plan on going into the parks in the daytime (at least not more than once or twice)...mainly a pool trip with parks at night, but it's all still a concern to beat the heat even walking through the Springs in the afternoon.

Remember that with the exception of some fully outdoor rides (looking at you especially, Toy Story Land), most rides are at least partially air conditioned, some are fully air conditioned, and all stores and restaurants are as well. We go every summer and it's rare that we go even 15 minutes without being in some degree of air conditioning, so it's really not bad.

Sunscreen, a bottle for water, a hat and sunglasses. I’ve never understood loading yourself down with stuff. It’s Disney World, not Mt. Everest.

We loved our UV umbrellas. They kept the sun off and made it cooler in those outdoor lines and then helped when the afternoon showers came. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Thanks, all. Lots of ideas here that I'd not thought about -- UV umbrellas, maybe a bottle or two of some electrolyte-based something or other and many more.

This isn't going to be a park-heavy trip (that's in December!), but we'll still be popping in and out. All good ideas and much appreciated!

If you don't want to tote your own water, you can always get plenty of free ice water cups in the park. If you don't like the plain water, you can bring a mix in. Some powders require a certain amount of water, but you can either carry a collapsible larger cup or even an empty plastic bottle to pour a few of the free cups into and use your mix. Or you can use something like Mio drops that allows you to use more or less depending on the size serving you are consuming. :)

Does anyone have any brand recommendations for umbrellas and hats?

Thanks, all. Lots of ideas here that I'd not thought about -- UV umbrellas, maybe a bottle or two of some electrolyte-based something or other and many more.

This isn't going to be a park-heavy trip (that's in December!), but we'll still be popping in and out. All good ideas and much appreciated!

Nuun makes effervescent electrolyte tablets. They come in little tubes of 10, so they're quite portable. You just add them to water when you're ready for an electrolyte drink.

We always go first week of August due to school/sports schedules. Our biggest advice is keep it simple! We do take turns carrying a cooler backpack with bottled water and a few light snacks in it. We usually have a few cooling towels in there. My husband is big on using Body Glide. And I now use a UV umbrella which makes a HUGE difference. But we really do just keep it as light as possible in the parks.

I'm 68 and went in 95 degree weather the last week of June. A cooling towel is great. I had a travel purse the held a water bottle on one side and a UV umbrella on the other. Not trying to plug a particular brand here, but on days I wore my Arctic Cool shirts I was much more comfortable than days I wore my cute little Disney T's. Those shirts work-Second the body glide mentioned by PP. Adding a link to the small rechargeable portable fan I kept in my purse rather than wearing. I hate those neck fans and they didn't do nearly as well as this little thing-really powerful on fastest speed-
Amazon.com: EasyAcc Hand Free Handheld Necklace Fan Mini Portable Outdoor Fan with 2600 mAh Rechargeable Battery 6-18 Working Hours Palm-sized and 3 Setting 180° Rotating Adjustment for Home and Travel: Home & Kitchen

Last edited:
Any moisture wicking sports clothing is good. Cool when it's sunny and dries quickly after it rains.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter