What they've taken away

Thanks for sharing those photos, Disney 1975!

I saw similar pics that showed that Disney made the Animal Kingdom Lodge rooms cheaper when they refurbished them.
The AKL rooms are not as beautiful as they once were, and I know a lot of people prefer not to have carpet in the room, but the room-to-room noise has become quite noticeable. However, the renovated bathrooms are fantastic, so there's that. And the animals are still there--which is really the main draw of the lodge.

My biggest issues with Eisner is he ruined the animation department. He pushed Pixar away. Pixar was a beast at that point. Some of thier best material. He pushed a ton of animators out of the studio. Wasn’t it during his time we have a bunch of sequel movies that were just junk?
He did a lot of good but when I hear his name I think of almost the end of traditional animation.
Under Eisner (more specifically under Katzenberg & Roy Disney, Jr.)
Disney came out with the Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, the Lion King & Aladdin; leading an animation renaissance. After his first ten years after Eisner's (Disney President) colleague Frank Wells died, many things went downhill at Disney over the next 13 years.

Eisner started Disney Cruise Lines,
micromanaged some of Disney's most well-themed hotels (the WL, AKL, Grand Californian & the Hotel Cheyenne), and the beautiful, spare-no-expense Disneyland Paris park,
but he & Wells also led the trend of American CEO's being wildly & unnecessarily overcompensated. Their doubling the admission prices at the American theme parks in just two years did not lower attendance, but could that really be described as amazing Walt or Steve Jobs-like creativity? Why didn't Disney's park workers receive a significant salary boost?

It's depressing to me that Paul Pressler & now Bob Chapek got ahead at Disney by promoting Eisner's inferior, second-decade+ cleverness instead of creating brilliant, more challenging things. Eisner & Presser's taking away the Electric Light Parade was effective marketing, but pretty awful, as was Eisner's studios park at Disneyland Paris that was supposed to be cheap & ugly looking, because "that's the theme!"

Since leaving Disney, Eisner has quietly been a generous philanthropist,
and given his first decade at Disney, I'd argue that he's the second best & most important all-time contributor to Disney after Walt Disney.

Last edited:
EDITED: I'm adding what folks pointed out from the posts below!
Let me try to tally everything taken away while ticket and hotel prices continue to rise:

1. Free hotel parking for guests-that has not been free for a while
2. Daily housekeeping (or the option to forego for gift cards)-covid
3. Fast Pass and the advance planning it allowed- Genie+ Can be a better value
4. Day-of choice of which park to attend- Covid
5. Extra Magic Hours (morning AND evening)-on-site extra 30 minutes and deluxe extra 2 hrs on select days
6. Park Hopping when you want to- anytime after 2pm
7. Magical Express- This hasnt been around forever and they had to cut losses somewhere due to -covid
8. Dining plan
9. Street entertainment (like Citizens of Hollywood)-covid
-------Below from all of your comments-----
10. Free Magic Bands (and the fun box with the luggage tags!)-cost cut due to Covid
11. Resort entertainment in lounges, lobbies, and restaurants-most have returned and will return
12. Nighttime shows like Fantasmic!-it will be back
13. Resort luggage check-in- covid
14. Daily cross-park locker rentals- never used it
15. Full access to pools (longer hours) and facilities (showers, etc)- haven’t had any issues
16. Full Parades- calvacades are great and happy little bursts of fun!!
17. Tours and affordable add-ons-not much has changed
18. Character meet-n-greets in lines, at restaurants; photos- geez Covid!
19. Resort package delivery-covid
20. Parking lot trams-covid- but they are coming back
21. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (how could I forget? We loved it!)- how many guests actually even knew about this? But again Covid
22. Some boat services and monorail routes
23. Minnie vans- coming back because of Magical express being through Mears.
24. Park-to-park transportation service-it will come back.
25. Hoop de Doo Musical Review at FW-covid
'
What else am I missing? I'm so mad about Genie+ but really it's just the straw that is breaking the camel's back. I'm a mom and the family planner. When wheels went up at Midway, I was on vacation. Luggage, transport, scheduling, cleaning-- all done and set. I've been an absolute defender of wdw and on-site hotels, but this is the point of no return.
They've made a ton of money during covid. There's no excuse. None. What exactly is a TON OF MINEY? The parks were bleeding money for months! Due to Covid.
Geez. Do you know how much money the Disney Co. lost? If you owned a business, you would try and recoup your losses and try to make sure that your customers didn’t sacrifice much in the end.
They could make ticket prices DOUBLE and people would still go. Sadly that would price many people out. But, to let prices have remained relatively the same. They could close all the parks at 5pm and no fireworks. But no, they are trying to stay open and off guests most of the same offerings.
I am not happy about the Gold AP alternative but I will buy a Sorcerer pass and will add the MM when I have to renew.
we are relatively new DVC member and will continue to include WDW as one of our vacation destinations.

WDW is a choice. If you don’t like the changes then choose something more to your liking.
For many people-myself included, the magic can still be had. And the new paid option may work better for some because it could streamline their vacation. Especially those who do a one and done trip.
I know if I was a travel agent, I would sing the praises of Genie+ and the paid options. Why? Because it would make it possible to do more and wait less.

for the majority of your list the reason is beyondDisney’s or anyone’s control- COVID.
Haven’t you noticed that prices on nearly EVERYTHING have increased because of covid.

sorry OP but this is life. I can understand your frustration. But

Thats the problem. Disney never used to be "every amusement park". It was a very special place with incredible hospitality, making it the #1 vacation destination in the US. Now they are "every amusement park" so why not venture out and see other things in the world! I no longer get a Disney vibe at the resorts and barely at the parks. At the resorts, there is no "welcome!!!" They want you to go directly to your boring white room and use your phone to unlock the door! The Imaginears are anything but imaginative. The new rides are just TV screens. The new rooms are so generic, the new shows, well, I guess there are new shows...or old ones. They are just gone. Id gladly pay more and more to have the old Disney, previous to around 2015, back. Paying for 2021 Disney is not worth it. Sadly for me, I did, but until I start seeing reports of incredible things happening, I will not be going back for any large amount of time. Maybe a few days, offsite, but will spend the remainder of my usual 11 - 13 days visiting other Orlando theme parks...or take a cruise out of Cape Canaveral!

Yacht Club before
View attachment 602265

Yacht Club after

View attachment 602268

All Star Movies before

View attachment 602276

All Star Movies after

View attachment 602277

Love the updated yacht club! I don't have personal experience with all star.

Thats the problem. Disney never used to be "every amusement park". It was a very special place with incredible hospitality, making it the #1 vacation destination in the US. Now they are "every amusement park" so why not venture out and see other things in the world! I no longer get a Disney vibe at the resorts and barely at the parks. At the resorts, there is no "welcome!!!" They want you to go directly to your boring white room and use your phone to unlock the door! The Imaginears are anything but imaginative. The new rides are just TV screens. The new rooms are so generic, the new shows, well, I guess there are new shows...or old ones. They are just gone. Id gladly pay more and more to have the old Disney, previous to around 2015, back. Paying for 2021 Disney is not worth it. Sadly for me, I did, but until I start seeing reports of incredible things happening, I will not be going back for any large amount of time. Maybe a few days, offsite, but will spend the remainder of my usual 11 - 13 days visiting other Orlando theme parks...or take a cruise out of Cape Canaveral!

Yacht Club before
View attachment 602265

Yacht Club after

View attachment 602268

All Star Movies before

View attachment 602276

All Star Movies after

View attachment 602277

I prefer both new photos. The old ones are the peak of 90s kitsch. Times and tastes change.

After 25+ trips over the course of 18 years we have no idea or plans to go back. There's just not enough left for us. ME was the last straw. My Facebook memories are so often Disney memories and it really hurts sometimes. But when I start thinking about doing a trip, I realize the new Disney isn't worth it. We had a good run though.

If one has no expectations/has not experienced Disney previously, they may not know what they have lost.

I'm glad that we were able to take three trips prior to 2015 - the kids had a blast, we ate well with Tables in Wonderland one trip, free dining another, and Disney was pretty magical! The extras that have been taken away really added to the trip. We stayed at Pop Century, Port Orleans, and the Yacht Club.

Then we went to Universal and stayed club level at their deluxe hotels along with the express pass two years in a row and it was fantastic!

But we still loved us some Disney. Pricing out a Disney vacation in 2018, we decided on a cruise instead for less money. It was amazing! Pricing out a Disney vacation in 2019, we spent 9 days in Portugal instead and the whole family loved it. It cost the same as a week at Disney.

We stayed home last year and this year camped a lot. Our next trip is a villa for 6 people in Puerto Vallarta for two weeks over Christmas and New Years and since we booked ahead, it will be quite a bit less than WDW for the same period.

Honestly, what is being offered now for the price is underwhelming for us. Other opinions may differ and that's okay.

As long as message boards, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram exist, there's no such thing as customer satisfaction.

Complaining is what we all do now. Any little issue gets a post, which then gets comments, which then gets likes suddenly it becomes the narrative. WDW could have an 95 percent customer satisfaction rate, but that would all get undone by one vlogger with a bunch of followers having a bad day.

As long as people keep coming, they are doing their jobs.

I beg to disagree there. I've seen hundreds or stories here and on Reddit and in YouTube comments about magical moments they've had at Disney. Being awestruck. Amazing cast members. Wonderful meal experiences. The list goes on. They're fewer and further between now.

Geez. Do you know how much money the Disney Co. lost? If you owned a business, you would try and recoup your losses and try to make sure that your customers didn’t sacrifice much in the end.
They could make ticket prices DOUBLE and people would still go. Sadly that would price many people out. But, to let prices have remained relatively the same. They could close all the parks at 5pm and no fireworks. But no, they are trying to stay open and off guests most of the same offerings.
I am not happy about the Gold AP alternative but I will buy a Sorcerer pass and will add the MM when I have to renew.
we are relatively new DVC member and will continue to include WDW as one of our vacation destinations.

WDW is a choice. If you don’t like the changes then choose something more to your liking.
For many people-myself included, the magic can still be had. And the new paid option may work better for some because it could streamline their vacation. Especially those who do a one and done trip.
I know if I was a travel agent, I would sing the praises of Genie+ and the paid options. Why? Because it would make it possible to do more and wait less.

for the majority of your list the reason is beyondDisney’s or anyone’s control- COVID.
Haven’t you noticed that prices on nearly EVERYTHING have increased because of covid.

sorry OP but this is life. I can understand your frustration. But
Can you see how much in the minority you are, and subsequently how much more money Disney is set to lose? From the length of your rant, I beg to differ with your assertion that you understand the frustration.

Can you see how much in the minority you are, and subsequently how much more money Disney is set to lose? From the length of your rant, I beg to differ with your assertion that you understand the frustration.
not my rant. Just my take on the recent changes. I am keeping my DVC, my AP, and still visiting at least twice a year. Like I said, I understand your frustration. I am sure once the dust settles and life is back to normal (as normal as it can be) that you will feel differently.

Does anyone know if club cool will remain free or be purchasable flights like the coke store at Disney springs

I'm rather upset that extra evening hours used to be 3 hours long, yet now they're only 2 hours, and only 2 parks are involved.
Agree. Not including AK and HS is such a letdown. Those two parks have the most sought after rides right now. AK and HS missing really took the wind out of the announcement IMO
..and only for Deluxe Resort & Deluxe Villa guests, guests of the Swan/Dolphin/Swan Reserve and SOG.
Honestly, this doesn't bother me. Based on what they charge for Deluxe, there should be a stand out benefit. If it was all 4 parks, at least once per week, that would be quite valuable. But leaving out AK and HS makes it just "eh"

I say this as someone who, while at Deluxe for our "make up 2020" trip, wouldn't re-book Deluxe, or on-site, going forward. Too much has been taken away while the prices have continued to go up.

The fact that the morning extra hours have been cut down from an hour to 30 minutes ruffles my feathers a little too. Sure it's nice that it's now every park, but opening the park 30 minutes early? They often do that for everyone anyways. And I wonder how many of the attractions will be open.

Under Eisner (more specifically under Katzenberg & Roy Disney, Jr.)
Disney came out with the Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, the Lion King & Aladdin; leading an animation renaissance. After his first ten years after Eisner's (Disney President) colleague Frank Wells died, many things went downhill at Disney over the next 13 years.

Eisner does NOT get credit for the animation renaissance. He tried to kill it completely, but he got major pushback. So, he put 'A Disney' in charge of it, so when it died his behind would be covered.
Those room photos were shocking. At least the early photos were themed. The current ones look so generic cheap motel. Wouldn't that break the Disney bubble?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter