What should my dining priorities be ? - Solo

OP95

Mouseketeer
I am planning a solo trip in November with my ADRs coming up soon. I’ve previously done a solo trip before but didn’t try any sit down restaurants and would like to do so this time. I am undecided on what I should be picking or if there are any recommendations I should try to visit.

Woodys BBQ
Mama Melrose
Steakhouse 71
Space 220/Via Napoli
Jiko ( hotel based)
Boma (hotel based)

These are the ones I have on my list at the moment. Probably won’t do all of these. Not that keen on Character Dinings as they seem at a bit awkward to me. Though they could be fun..

What are your thoughts?

restaurant choices are completely subjective, so no real input there. When you’re making your ADRs, out of your current list, if you’re staying at a Disney hotel and can do 60+ reservations, make the Space 220 reservation first! I made the mistake of doing that one second (after Cinderella’s Royal Table), and booked at 7:04 am at 63 days ahead. There was only 1 time left available for that day - we wanted lunch, but had to grab the 7:15 spot that was available.

restaurant choices are completely subjective, so no real input there. When you’re making your ADRs, out of your current list, if you’re staying at a Disney hotel and can do 60+ reservations, make the Space 220 reservation first! I made the mistake of doing that one second (after Cinderella’s Royal Table), and booked at 7:04 am at 63 days ahead. There was only 1 time left available for that day - we wanted lunch, but had to grab the 7:15 spot that was available.
Thanks for the advice. Is the 60 + your stay a thing? I wasn’t sure if that was true or not.

Yes, it’s one of the advantages from staying on property. If you’re staying in a Disney owned resort, or certain other resorts on property (like the Swan or Dolphin) you can book at 60 days prior to the start of your stay, up through the 10th day of your stay (60+10 is the max). Split stays are a little more difficult as the benefit is from the start of your stay at the property, to the end of your stay. A split stay of two 5 day stays means you technically can book at 60+5 for the first stay, and 60+5 for the second stay, not 60+10. There may be a workaround for this, but don’t know if it’s an official workaround.

As a solo, do not search for a party of 1… Disney doesn’t like solo diners or uneven numbers. Always search for at least 2… or more…. and make your reservation. I travel solo several times a year. Sometimes you will find tables for 1 but they are often at terrible times… like lunch at 10:45 am and some places never offer tables for solos, like Garden Grill, Ohana… never saw a solo for Woodys. Search for 2 or more and you will have a boatload of alternatives. After you book, you can immediately go into the reservation and modify to a party of 1. The system is fine with this.

Disney tech at its best lol

Space will be the most challenging. The Lounge is more difficult than the restaurant, also. Use your 60+ advantage and book it toward the end of your trip for the best chance of finding openings at decent times.

As a solo, do not search for a party of 1… Disney doesn’t like solo diners or uneven numbers. Always search for at least 2… or more…. and make your reservation. I travel solo several times a year. Sometimes you will find tables for 1 but they are often at terrible times… like lunch at 10:45 am and some places never offer tables for solos, like Garden Grill, Ohana… never saw a solo for Woodys. Search for 2 or more and you will have a boatload of alternatives. After you book, you can immediately go into the reservation and modify to a party of 1. The system is fine with this.

Disney tech at its best lol

Space will be the most challenging. The Lounge is more difficult than the restaurant, also. Use your 60+ advantage and book it toward the end of your trip for the best chance of finding openings at decent times.
Thanks for the advice. That’s good to know about the solo tip I guess it’s an unpopular number. I was playing around with reservations the other day for 1 person and did see there weren’t that many. I’ll have to remember to change the party.

Can you make 220 Lounge reservations? Didn’t see any times when we were booking (although it was an option for restaurants with reservations), and later I saw several reports that it was walk up only.

Can you make 220 Lounge reservations? Didn’t see any times when we were booking (although it was an option for restaurants with reservations), and later I saw several reports that it was walk up only.
Yes, there are reservations for the Lounge. Stand by is for bar seating only and under 21’s are not allowed to sit there so if you have littles in your party, it’s not an option. Stand by is not for tables in the Lounge.

These reservations are one of the toughest to score on Disney property… because you are able to order a la carte or drinks only, making it a far more economical option than the prix fixe restaurant. You can enjoy the full experience at a much lower price point.

These reservations do exist but are scarcer than hens teeth so if you are interested, it’s worth signing up for a dining reservation finder and continuing to stalk the Disney website. People do drop and openings happen… but you have to be very quick to catch one!

Last edited:
Just a heads up on Woody’s BBQ. It’s a lot of food and they don’t really scale the sides/salads to solo dining. So maybe not order the 4 sides that they let you order. You can always order more later on.

Just a heads up on Woody’s BBQ. It’s a lot of food and they don’t really scale the sides/salads to solo dining. So maybe not order the 4 sides that they let you order. You can always order more later on.
Thanks, I have been looking at the menu and this was my concern…as a big Toy Story fan very tempted to do it just for the theming!

I am planning a solo trip in November with my ADRs coming up soon. I’ve previously done a solo trip before but didn’t try any sit down restaurants and would like to do so this time. I am undecided on what I should be picking or if there are any recommendations I should try to visit.

Woodys BBQ
Mama Melrose
Steakhouse 71
Space 220/Via Napoli
Jiko ( hotel based)
Boma (hotel based)

These are the ones I have on my list at the moment. Probably won’t do all of these. Not that keen on Character Dinings as they seem at a bit awkward to me. Though they could be fun..

What are your thoughts?
As a seasoned Solo traveler....look for reservations for 2 or 4 people....then once you get the time you want you can adjust your party to 1. I can never get the reservation I want at a time I would like when just searching for a party of 1. I have even had better luck looking for a party of 12 when I was trying to get Chef Art Smith's!

Any suggestions for a party of 5? Since its an odd number, should I book for 6 and then modify down?

Will I only be charged for 5 if I don't cancel the 6th person until we arrive? Also, how does that work for prepaid reservations like Cinderella*s Table?

Will I only be charged for 5 if I don't cancel the 6th person until we arrive? Also, how does that work for prepaid reservations like Cinderella*s Table?

You can't do that for prepaid reservations like CRT, you'd have to pay for 6 when you booked.

As for regular reservations, I've always been able to Modify online after booking for a higher number of people, I like it to be correct before I arrive.

You can't do that for prepaid reservations like CRT, you'd have to pay for 6 when you booked.

As for regular reservations, I've always been able to Modify online after booking for a higher number of people, I like it to be correct before I arrive.
Actually you can.

When you get your bill at the end of the meal they will adjust the total and issue a credit back to whatever method you used to make the reservation. This is how discounts… AP, etc. … are handled.

Up to you whether having to prepay and wait for a refund is acceptable or a deal breaker.

As I am seeing this probably quite close to your trip, remember that cancellations are now up to 2hrs prior. So, if there is a reservation you couldn't snag at your 60 day ADR, you can check the morning/afternoon of! I just came back from a solo trip and there are reservations that become available, you just have to be quick to grab them! Also, I agree with the even number party size. I always booked for 2 even though I was by myself. Best of luck and enjoy your trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter