What settings for cell phone on the ship?

angelinaxox

Mouseketeer
I have a question as I can't remember the answer to what settings to turn on/off to access ship's wifi for the navigator app to work and so I can still take pictures but don't want to incur charges for calls/texts. I turn off cell data, leave wifi on and ? Just want to make sure I do this all correctly. Thanks for any help.

If you're just going to use the phone for photo's and the Nav app, all you need to do is put in airplane mode, then enable the wifi again as it will have been disabled. No risk of roaming or updates as you are not using a data plan nor able to connect to a passing cell tower or the ships cell system to make a call, just able to use the app FOC.

Now if you want to use the data plan on the ship for FB, Instagram etc, then there are a few more things you have to do to stop the data plan being used up.

xlxo seems to be the current tech member around here and should know the answer of which settings as it will vary from iPhone to Android or what other operating system your cell phone uses.

Does anyone around here know how to message or alert xlxo to this thread?

If you're just going to use the phone for photo's and the Nav app, all you need to do is put in airplane mode, then enable the wifi again as it will have been disabled. No risk of roaming or updates as you are not using a data plan nor able to connect to a passing cell tower or the ships cell system to make a call, just able to use the app FOC.

Now if you want to use the data plan on the ship for FB, Instagram etc, then there are a few more things you have to do to stop the data plan being used up.

xlxo seems to be the current tech member around here and should know the answer of which settings as it will vary from iPhone to Android or what other operating system your cell phone uses.
Sorry been away for little while.
  • My main phone is a Blackberry... I do have an android phone, but know android phones can vary. @angelinaxox.... what phone do you have?
  • Yes airplane mode is a quick disable. However being able to override it on some phones makes it so confusing that you turn something on you don't want.
  • sim card extraction will guarantee no roaming charges. Or using a prepaid phone
  • if you want the navigator app to work... you run the risk of phone updates on your data allowance. Again knowing what phone @angelinaxox has clarifies procedures to disable the updates. I had a weak moment in getting updates and lost 300mb in minutes.

Last edited:
I have a question as I can't remember the answer to what settings to turn on/off to access ship's wifi for the navigator app to work and so I can still take pictures but don't want to incur charges for calls/texts. I turn off cell data, leave wifi on and ? Just want to make sure I do this all correctly. Thanks for any help.

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is stop by the internet desk right away. I've found them friendly, helpful, and VERY knowledgeable. They'll be able to check all the little nuances (apps that use data in the background, cloud backups, etc) and make sure you're all set.

Until you get there, turn off everything you can think of (airplane mode, automatic photo uploads, automatic updates, roaming, location services, to name a few), then get it checked by the pro. Easy.

over50visits, if you just enable airplane mode, then re-enable wifi until you can stop by the internet desk you can use the app.
There is no way the phone can connect to a cell tower or the ship's cell system to make or receive phone calls or texts, and without actually signing up for a wifi package, you have no internet access either, just the ship's local intranet.
That way you still get to use the phones camera until you can speak to the internet desk CM.

BUT I do agree if you are going to use the free 50Mb package or buy an internet package, definitely speak to the internet CM ASAP!

Thanks for the replies. Got off the ship today and I think I did it all correctly. Love using the Disney Navigator App on my iPhone. Followed the advice of the early posts I saw before disabling the cell data.

angelinaxox: glad it worked for you !

For future reference:

I have an iphone. when I am traveling somewhere where I do not want it using any cellular data, I do the following:

Open the "settings" app. Select "Cellular" (on some older IOS devices you have to dig for it, I believe it used to be inside the "General" section).

I have "data roaming" ALWAYS turned off no matter where I am, even at home. BUT, I always take a glance to make sure it is off.

Then I turn off "Enable LTE" (or 3G data on older phones) and "cellular data".

this disables the phone from using cellular data and is important to do in case somehow you accidentally turn off Airplane mode later in the trip. You have to turn these off BEFORE you enter Airplane mode.

Once cellular data is off, I go back to the main settings screen and toggle ON Airplane mode.

Once Airplane mode is on your phone won't talk to anything external. No data, no voice calls, no texting, no apps, no wi-fi.

Now, once I am somewhere I want to use wi-fi, I turn JUST wi-fi on.

In settings, glance to see that airplane mode is still on.

Select "wi-fi", opening the Wi-Fi screen. Toggle wi-Fi to ON. This turns on JUST your wi-fi.

You can then select the wi-fi network that you want to join. Depending on the network you may need to log in to it as well.

Now, I like the battery to last on my device. I also like it to not eat data when I do not want it to.

So, I turn wi-fi on when I want to use a session of it (eg use the DCL app on the ship), then I turn it OFF when I am done. it takes a little bit extra time, but I would rather that then be frequently charging the battery or the phone doing something I do not want it to.

Also note, some wi-fi providers require you to sign in to start a session and then SIGN OUT when you are done or you may continue to be "charged" (if there is some kind of fee or limited amount of data available, especially ones that are charged by time). Also, if you are logged out your phone can't go connecting places. So, log out of the wi-fi service as well. Then turn it off.

Finally, this site tells you how to turn off automatic updates in IOS 8:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/31/how-to-turn-off-automatic-app-updates-in-ios-8/

This site tells you how to do it in IOS 7:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-disable-automatic-app-updates-on-ios-7/

Apple's page on the matter (but it is about turning auto updates ON :-) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180

-SW

angelinaxox: glad it worked for you !

For future reference:

I have an iphone. when I am traveling somewhere where I do not want it using any cellular data, I do the following:

Open the "settings" app. Select "Cellular" (on some older IOS devices you have to dig for it, I believe it used to be inside the "General" section).

I have "data roaming" ALWAYS turned off no matter where I am, even at home. BUT, I always take a glance to make sure it is off.

Then I turn off "Enable LTE" (or 3G data on older phones) and "cellular data".

this disables the phone from using cellular data and is important to do in case somehow you accidentally turn off Airplane mode later in the trip. You have to turn these off BEFORE you enter Airplane mode.

Once cellular data is off, I go back to the main settings screen and toggle ON Airplane mode.

Once Airplane mode is on your phone won't talk to anything external. No data, no voice calls, no texting, no apps, no wi-fi.

Now, once I am somewhere I want to use wi-fi, I turn JUST wi-fi on.

In settings, glance to see that airplane mode is still on.

Select "wi-fi", opening the Wi-Fi screen. Toggle wi-Fi to ON. This turns on JUST your wi-fi.

You can then select the wi-fi network that you want to join. Depending on the network you may need to log in to it as well.

Now, I like the battery to last on my device. I also like it to not eat data when I do not want it to.

So, I turn wi-fi on when I want to use a session of it (eg use the DCL app on the ship), then I turn it OFF when I am done. it takes a little bit extra time, but I would rather that then be frequently charging the battery or the phone doing something I do not want it to.

Also note, some wi-fi providers require you to sign in to start a session and then SIGN OUT when you are done or you may continue to be "charged" (if there is some kind of fee or limited amount of data available, especially ones that are charged by time). Also, if you are logged out your phone can't go connecting places. So, log out of the wi-fi service as well. Then turn it off.

Finally, this site tells you how to turn off automatic updates in IOS 8:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/31/how-to-turn-off-automatic-app-updates-in-ios-8/

This site tells you how to do it in IOS 7:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-disable-automatic-app-updates-on-ios-7/

Apple's page on the matter (but it is about turning auto updates ON :-) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202180

-SW

GREAT info, but am I the only one who immediately thought of Marlin's quote from Finding Nemo? "You're really cute, but I can't understand what you're saying!" :o

Using the Navigator app on my phone was fabulous! I never carried the paper copy with me. I would mark my favorites and get a notice buzz 15 minutes before an event that I had marked as a favorite was to start so I could decide to go to it or continue doing what I wanted to do. It also allowed you to see ALL of the times events were happening during the cruise - rather than just the next day like in the paper copies of the Navigator. I'm used to carrying my phone anyway so it was easy to do so and had it for a quick picture if we didn't have the good camera with us.

Just curious because everyone keeps saying "bring a watch" what time zone are things done in and will my phone automatically sync to the correct time zone if I have the phone in airplane mode?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter