What planning is there for a UO trip?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
I accidentally posted this under the resort board, but meant it for the parks board.

your thread is fine in this forum....macraven/moderator

We are going to be doing a split - first 7 days WDW and 3 days UO -- I already booked RPR to get the unlimited express pass. I feel like I am doing something wrong with the UO portion of our trip because besides the room I am not planning anything. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how a UO trip is "planned". As we get closer we might look at one restaurant to do a nice sit down meal.

Does UO parks have shows that you can watch or are they pretty much a ride oriented theme park?

Am i missing something here or is a UO trip just a bit more laid back?

with 3 days, early entry and express passes you really can just show up and enjoy. How do you tackle other non Disney amusement parks? Apply the same planning here. :)
Lots of shows. Spend some time on the Universal site and review the maps. There are several great play areas too- the Jurassic Park area one is so much fun even for adults!

You have a hotel and tickets. Done. You might want to make a restaurant reservation or two a week before you get there. Check out the UO app for your phone. Lots of other things to do and see beyond riding the rides. The last thing you need to do is have fun!

Clear your mind and allow this portion of the trip be a vacation. No need to commando, plenty of food option, and you will fall in love with Express Pass. As wookie said, if there is a certain restaurant that you need, make a reservation nearer your stay. If you are going to be HP-centric, then visit those threads and figure our a plan of attack as the major HP rides do not have Express Pass. I think you really need a 20-30 minute queue for those rides anyway to enjoy the full experience.

And keep in mind that spending a few hours in the park, grabbing a meal, heading back to your room for a nap or short pool stay, then heading back for dinner and evening time is SO EASY at Universal. There is a long thread going on about which is better...it's just different than WDW and can be approached differently as well.

Hope you enjoy!

We were able to get same day reservations for Cowfish and Mythos when we went at the end of July. No worries!

That's the beauty of Universal. You don't really need a set plan. We love going between the parks all day or leaving one park and having lunch at Citywalk and then heading over to the other park.

There are a few shows but not a ton. We love the Horror Make up show. Don't miss it!

There are some character dining experiences and also the Blue Man Group.

Have a blast!

Agree... Universal is so amazing because you don't really need a plan. Not with express pass. It's a much more casual and laid back experience. Enjoy it! We always do Universal right before Disney.
We book restaurants we love, Mama Dellas at Portofino for example, on Open table. That is the extent of our planning,, how great is that?!

Our planning consists of figuring out what park we want to start at each day and then playing a pool afternoon....that's pretty much it and I LOVE IT.

We are going in 3 weeks and staying onsite at RPR for the first time too. We wanted 2 days of unlimited EP,too. I can't wait for a relaxing, non planned trip which is the exact opposite of our WDW trip. This UO trip is right in the middle of our 10 days stay at WDW and is quite the added expense for us, but I feel it is going to be worth it. Can't wait!

irst time too. We wanted 2 days of unlimited EP,too. I can't wait for a relaxing, non planned trip which is the exact opposite of our WDW trip.

You'll have to report back with your thought on how your Universal trip went . Besides looking at different you tube videos of rides and such -- This is super easy and after 7 days WDW and keeping everyone (party of 7) on track with my itinerary of FP and dining reservations this sounds like it will be amazing!!! I am the planner so this will be the perfect end to our trip

You'll have to report back with your thought on how your Universal trip went . Besides looking at different you tube videos of rides and such -- This is super easy and after 7 days WDW and keeping everyone (party of 7) on track with my itinerary of FP and dining reservations this sounds like it will be amazing!!! I am the planner so this will be the perfect end to our trip

I will definitely report on my trip, thanks. I'm really looking forward to no planning! It will probably feel strange for a while:)

Clear your mind and allow this portion of the trip be a vacation.

Yep.

WDW is hustle and bustle, and UO is ohmmmmm. Especially with the unlimited express pass. And the fact that they encourage pool hopping. :)

We decide WHAT we want to ride overall, what we want to skip, and that's kinda it.

Universal planning when staying onsite with UE pass:

1. Plan to get everyone out of bed early to hit the Harry Potter areas when each park opens.
2. Maybe make a dinner reservation, because CityWalk can be crowded sometimes.
3. That's it, that's the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter