• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What part of Disney gives you the "Wow" factor? (post-speech update pg 4 /thank you!)

this is great stuff! I appreciate all the tips!! I need to finish my speech up today and get my powerpoint going. :thumbsup2

I'll check back a bit later to see if anyone thought of anything else to add. Thanks for all the help so far!

Seeing the absolute unadulterated glee on children's faces.
One evening as MK was closing I was very close to the rail and the platform where Mickey comes out to say goodnight. There was a little guy, probably somewhere between 2 and 3 years old standing next to me. His parents were there also but a little bit behind him. It wasn't crowed yet so we had a bunch of that area to ourselves.
When the wee one saw Mickey waving he knew that Mickey had to be waving to him, just him. He was so excited he looked for someone to share his glee. I happened to be closest and since I use a scooter we were very close to being eye to eye. He didn't have the vocabulary to convey his excitement. He didn't need words. He was vibrating with excitement and squealing at me.
I still tear up over that and feel honored that I got to share the moment with him.pixiedust:

Seeing the absolute unadulterated glee on children's faces.
One evening as MK was closing I was very close to the rail and the platform where Mickey comes out to say goodnight. There was a little guy, probably somewhere between 2 and 3 years old standing next to me. His parents were there also but a little bit behind him. It wasn't crowed yet so we had a bunch of that area to ourselves.
When the wee one saw Mickey waving he knew that Mickey had to be waving to him, just him. He was so excited he looked for someone to share his glee. I happened to be closest and since I use a scooter we were very close to being eye to eye. He didn't have the vocabulary to convey his excitement. He didn't need words. He was vibrating with excitement and squealing at me.
I still tear up over that and feel honored that I got to share the moment with him.pixiedust:

Wow! I've got a giant lump in my throat now! :goodvibes My son was ten the first time we went, and he cared nothing for the characters. I would give almost anything to have been able to experience a moment like this with him when he was younger!

When I go to Disney they take care of everything, I can relax and have fun with my DH, DD, and DS. I am always WOWed by their Helping Hand and how far they go to truly help Special Needs families. My DS (10) has food alergies and Aspergers (High functioning Autism) I remember my first WOW! Chef mickey 2004, the chef came out and gave me a tour of the buffet explained what DS could and could not have. My DS wanted mac n cheese... unfortunatly he could not have the one on the buffet about 20 min into eating the chef comes out with a BIG bowl of mac n chees for DS....(didnt ask for this) tears welled up when my son said you cook like mommy!!!
OP if you want to be wowed read this tread make sure you have tissues....It is why I return year after year to Disney:love:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1874043

For me, it's the way the a lot of small items mesh to create a singular experience. At any given second, you are subjected to distinct views, sounds, smells, feelings, (tastes?) that intermingle to create a complete, unique impression. Also, the knowledge that a group of people have imagineered this experience for everyone, every day, and that most of the mechanics of it are unseen, yet seen, also makes me say WOW.

For me it's the moment we pull our car onto Disney property. I have the childhood feeling of "We're here! We're here!!!" I know at that moment that we leave the world behind for 10 days and don't have to think about anything but DISNEY WORLD!!!:cool1:

My "wow" factor has to be when you arrive on peppery and go under that welcome soigné and seeing the castle front a distance.

I wrote an informational speech on Disney for my speech class two years ago. It was suppose to be a seven minute speech but I had a fifteen minute oney teacher helped me cut it down lol. Anyone I brought up the little known stuff about Disney like the surf class at typhoon lagoon and etc. Some people were impressed. I don't know if that helps or not but thought I share

For me its two things. one, walking through the airport and seeing all the signs welcoming you to Orlando,with all the Disney posters. It just really gives me that fuzzy nice feeling.
Two, walking from the Bus to the main gate to MK frist thing in the Morning. With Mk standing tall above MK , thenon your left hand side, Its seven seas lagoon with the sun comining up above the lake and there your starting your day In MK.

On my first visit 12 years and 5 trips ago, these were the things that made me say "wow!"

• The castle down mainstreet

• The lagoon at Epcot at dusk, just after the lights in the countries came on. The whole world showcase area was much bigger than I imagined it would be.

• Illuminations - 4th of July fireworks would never be the same again

• First sighting of The Tree in Animal Kingdom. Again, it was so much bigger than I expected. I remember looking at it throughout the day and just saying "wow".

I hope this helps. If you need help with PowerPoint, let me know. I practically live in that software!

People-Watching. I grew up in a very small town and it is very fun and interesting to watch other people and their actions/reactions, etc...

I lived in south FL for 10 years and my parents took us to Disney frequently with our annual passes. All of those years as I grew up and changed I still felt child-like and innocent at Disney World. My favorite wow moment as a parent is still getting to MK first thing and being there as the train pulls up and the characters do their song and dance and they open the park gates. I always get a lump in my throat and look at my kids and I feel their anticipation. Like a trip to a foreign country gives my children total cultural immersion, a trip to Disney World is total immersion in innocence and youth. Priceless! (ok, it's has a price, but it's worth it! :lmao:)

This was a number of years ago (20), but the WOW factor sunk in for my daughter before we were off the plane.

She was about 10 at the time. The plane had just touched down at MCO and we were rolling down the runway. I reached across the aisle, touched my daughter's hand and said "We're here".The tears started flowing. I'll never forget that moment.:love:

Seeing the Castle and Spaceship Earth as you enter the gates

When I first walk into the lobby at Wilderness Lodge

Riding Soarin'

Fantasmic, Illuminations, and Wishes

When I meet Tigger or Mickey

When I watch Mickey's Philharmagic

I will say it as my 9yo DD said last night. It's walking inot the MK and turning the corner to see Cinderella's castle for the first time of the trip. It makes your body shake w/ emotions. You know at that moment your actually in Disney World. And then she asks Mom to pinch her so that she's not just dreaming it again.
The words of my Princess Alexzandra!

Interesting that you bring this up, as it is one of my points in my speech. A lot of people think it is significantly more expensive than other vacation destinations, but I have a price comparison, as an example.

Last August, my family (DH, DS12, and myself) took a trip to Chicago. We drove, as it's only an 8-hour drive (and much cheaper than a flight). Our hotel was completely free (thanks to my brother), so that saved us $200/night, and parking was free (also thanks to my brother), saving us another $50/night.

So I compared my actual Chicago trip costs plus what I would have paid for hotel and parking, to an acutal Disney trip for my same family of three during free dining this coming August. The Chicago trip was four days, but Disney would most definitely be seven days, so that is what I used.

Also, since we're trying to show how budget friendly this can be, I used the value resort pricing with the free quick service dining plan

Here are the results:

Disney trip pricing
2 adults, 1-13 year old
Value resort, standard room
Aug 25-Sept 1 (7 nights)
7-day Park hopper tickets
Price without dining $1588.44
Price with QS dining plan added $2260.23
Price for flight from Minneapolis (Southwest) for three people: $746.40
Total price with dining and flight: $3006.63
Park & Fly hotel in the cities: $150
Free transportation to and from Orlando airport (Disney’s Magical Express)
Free dining price (park & fly hotel, hotel, tickets, and flight): $2484.84 for 7 nights = $354.97/night total for the trip

Comparison: Trip to Chicago for 4 nights
same three people, driving instead of flying
$1500 (my total costs for the trip) for 4 nights = $375/night for the trip

and the hotel and parking were free! (Savings of $199/night for the hotel = $796 plus taxes of $122.58 = 918.58 more and $50/night for the parking = $200 more)
$1500 plus hotel and parking would have been: $2618.58 for 4 nights - $654.64/night

I hope that's easy enough to understand. I will be revising it on a powerpoint slide so it is easier to understand. I think it's pretty easy to see that even if I had stayed in Chicago for seven nights for the same amount of money, Disney still wins! :dance3:

Props for your speech, but the logic's a bit flawed in your numbers, primarily at the hotel comparison stage. You're comparing Disney Value (which, were it outside the grounds, roughtly equates to a Motel 6/Red Roof Inn) to what was, by your description, a major luxury chain in/near downtown Chicago. Apples and oranges.

For a more realistic comparison, plus up your hotel numbers to a Disney Deluxe (starting at about $250/night for WL, and rocketing skyward from there).

You also need to add in food costs for Chicago -- I use $40 per person per day for a planning figure, both at WDW and in major cities. (Of course, I can eat much more inexpensively than that, but it's a planning figure)

Just some observations, worth what you paid for them...

Good luck on your presentation.

for us, it's the thw whole Disney experience. kind of a cop out answer, but everything gets us. from the ME ride to the resort, to checking in to hitting the parks, the attractions, shows, parades, fireworks, food, etc...it's a combination of all the touches.

if i had to zero in on one thing, then it would be walking down Main St.

Luv2Scrap...... so happy to see your "comparison" of a Disney trip to another destination!
I've had this discussion with many friends and family members!
Long story short....... a Disney trip is a MUCH BETTER VALUE!!
Seriously.... if you do the homework and get any kind of discount.... whether it be on the resort, or free dining, or even on flights!
And... take into consideration your activities!!
a WDW works out cheaper than a lot of other destinations!

yes... if you pay RACK RATES during Peak season at a Delux.... yes... we are talking big bucks! but... we have never paid rack rate and we've stayed mostly at moderate or deluxes!

Oops... sorry.. OT.....;)

anyway.... our WOW is the castle at night.... and watching "wishes" :lovestruc

To me, it's also the first look of the castle as you hit Main Street. There's nothing like this. On my first-ever night at the MK - I just sat on a bench in the hub, soaked up the atmosphere and looked at that huge castle for almost an hour. Wishes also gets me everytime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter