• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What one thing did you wish you had known?

Think of your first visit as a
"Getting to know you trip"

don't try to see / do it all

Let everyone pick their top 3 must do
make those a priority
then just soak up the environment and start a list for next time.

This is your love trip :love:
take the time
(sing it with me)
Can you feel the love tonight...

Congrats to you and your groom!!

Think of your first visit as a
"Getting to know you trip"

don't try to see / do it all

Let everyone pick their top 3 must do
make those a priority
then just soak up the environment and start a list for next time.

This is your love trip :love:
take the time
(sing it with me)
Can you feel the love tonight...

Congrats to you and your groom!!
what she said! Especially the part about everyone picking their must do. (Although with 9 of you, maybe start with one "must do" each and work out from there). Our family started that years ago, and it works SO well. Congratulations!

Wish I had known the first time to plan time for swimming! I still am amazed at how we can be at DISNEYWORLD and the kids really want to swim more than anything!! So now we make time to swim and the kids know when we will do it so they don't beg all day for that and can enjoy everything else!

Have a wonderful time and congratulations!!!

I wish I was told BEFORE going to WDW that there was a place in Epcot where you can try drinks from all over the world (soda).

I still have not been (as we purposely skipped epcot last trip, to save $$), but know of it now ^_^

Me too! I didn't know this until our 2nd trip and it's much easier than carrying heavy water bottles.

The boat rides between the resorts and MK are free and soooooo relaxing!!

WDW can be very romantic at night...with 9 people, I'm assuming there's someone old enough to watch some of the younger kids? One night, I'd order pizza for everyone at your rental and have a romantic dinner and evening in a park by yourselves!! :hug:

Congratulations!!!

My husband and I were married 2 months ago (2nd marriage for both - he was divorced and I was widowed). We decided to skip the wedding and take the funds we would have spent on getting married and take a DW vacation for the family. There's 9 of us going. :eek: We're going the 1st week in June and staying off-site at a rental house. We are doing the 5 day passes without the park hopper option.

I've read almost everything I can find on-line. I have 2 DW apps on my iphone. My "Unofficial Guidebook" is already dog-eared. I think I'm obsessing over this vacation - but I feel like I'm stepping into a whole new and unknown world and I don't want to be lost or confused or in the dark about what's going on. :scared1:

So I want to ask the experts - what's the one thing you wish you had known before you arrived? :teacher:

In June, you should be able to get YES tickets - an awesome discount!

In June, you should be able to get YES tickets - an awesome discount!

Unfortunately, YES individual enrollment classes aren't available this June until mid month. I think June 12 or 13 is the first date. We were hoping to take advantage of the discounts but were disappointed that the dates don't work for us this year.

Any quick service place or carts with fountain drinks will give you a free cup of ice water. And they're not little tiny cups either. On our first two trips we brought frozen bottles of water everyday, wish I'd known about the free water!

This is amazing info. On our first trip we had the deluxe dining plan and you have no idea how many snack credits we used on bottled water. It was June it was hot and I wish I had already found the dis and known about the ice water.

Alot of good tips here. My addition would be to know that you don't have to all stay together.

My family and I had a big trip together and the first hour consisted of the adults hudling around maps and planning what we were going to do after each ride. Meanwhile the kids are getting antsy and just want to go.

My advice would be to let the older kids take the young kids and go. Have the whole group do two or so rides at park opening (get there 15 minutes before it opens) . Then maybe break up into two or 3 groups. And then all come together for meals, shows and rides that everyone wants to do.

Congrats on your trip!! We will be there the same week, and we are a party of 8 (six adults and 2 kids, with me 7 months pregnant!) :scared1: LOL
You will have a great time I am sure. I would say

Dining reservations are key! especially for such a large group
You probably won't get to everything, mark your top choices and work down the list
Use cell phones or some other device and don't be afraid to split up if wanted. Have a place to meet and a time if you, incase someone gets lost or can't be contacted
DON'T be afraid to ask an employee (CM) questions. Ask where to go next, about transportation, any tips, etc. Most are willing and happy to help, especially knowing your size group!
Take your time and enjoy it, sometimes just watching other people can be just as fun
Naps/rest times daily will certainly make the day go longer.

Have a great time, and who knows ... maybe our paths will cross sometime that week!

Thanks so much to all of you for the awesome replies!!!

We haven't even been yet and the kids are already talking about going next year. :scared1: To say we're excited is an understatement.

The best tip I have is about the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, October to mid-November. Since so many people have the dining plan, a fabulous way to use your snack credits is for food plates at F&W. Last time we went, even the $7 Lobster Roll was worth one snack credit at the "Hops and Barley" booth at the American Pavilion. It's truly the best way to use your snack credits, IMO.

My suggestion would be to try to get at least Breakfast reservation in MK before the park opens. Either at Cindy's Castle or Crystal Palace. It is very special to walk into MK before the crowds take over early in the morning.

We leave in 4 days and feel really well prepared, but just now I went to start a thread with this exact title. I know this is an old one, but a lot of the info is still relevant.

That being said...what is the one current thing you wish you would have known before your trip?

I wish I had not wore new shoes I advise you to wear your park shoes the next 4 days remaining to break them in
Have a magical time

^^ to piggy back on the shoe topic. I wish I knew how sore my feet would get, even with comfortable shoes! A helpful solution has been to have 2-4 pairs of shoes for the parks, and to change them out daily (or even mid-day). Once my feet got sore/tired in one pair, having a fresh pair felt really good.

Also, I always carry a pair of flip flops in my park bag in case it rains. Then I can quickly put them on to avoid soggy shoes and socks.

I didn't read through everyone's post so I'm sorry if this is repeat :)

I knew this for our last trip but I didn't a few years ago---you can get a free glass of ice water at any counter service restaurant. We carried an empty bottle of water with us, and just went up and got free water and dumped it in for easier carrying. We just got back from a trip last week and I saw so many people buying bottles of water. I know some people don't like the taste of Florida water but it didn't bother us at all----free is hard to beat!

We get the cheapo ponchos and carry those around with us that way if it rains, you can throw them away after you are done and not have to worry about carrying a wet poncho around.

Don't get too stressed out! Just go and and have fun-- so many people have a huge list of must haves and you just can't do everything. Make sure you take time to relax and enjoy the parks! There are so many beautiful things to look at, if you are just running around like crazy, you miss so much of what is Disney!

We wear Keen shoes. We like them because they are comfy and if it rains, we don't care if they get wet. and we don't worry about wet socks and sneakers. if you do wear sneakers bring another pair of shoes to wear the next day in case they do get wet because they probably won't dry. Also bring band aids and or moleskin to apply if you get a blister. Mine wouldn't stay on all day either so I had to put new ones on.

If the nightly shows are important, make sure you don't arrive 5 mins before and expect to get the best spot- if you want a prime spot you will need to come early. We like to use this as our rest time. If you don't care so much, there are a lot of places around the parks to watch that are just as nice :)

Sunscreen!!! put on throughout day-- if you have the spray kind---be nice to the people around you and step away from the crowd haha

Make sure to get a guide map every day and a times guide so you know what is going on and where you need to be.

Enjoy the resorts! take some rest time in the middle of the day and hit up a couple! They are awesome! and usually the best restaurants are in the resorts (or at least that is my opinion!)

Don't always be looking through your camera, make sure you enjoy what is going on around you :)

Don't feel you need to stay in a huge group-- split up! We went as a family a few years ago and splitting up during the day saved us from having arguments! It's hard to move around in a large group anyway.

above all---Have so much fun and make amazing memories!!!!! Take a deep breathe if things are getting stressful, find a spot to sit down, and just people watch until things have gotten less stressful. and I know you only asked for 1 thing butttttt I decided to go above that haha

Have fun!!! and congrats on the marriage---Get buttons at the parks to celebrate!

Get the photo pass and ham it up. You'll love the freedom of having those decent photos to round out your own snapshots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter