• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your WDW vacation alternative?

I think we’re cancelling our Aug DL trip and renting a beach house instead. We’ve already cancelled a trip to Idaho and a cruise in Aug (although that ended up being cancelled anyway).

We have a Nov trip planned too and we’ll play that one by ear, but are prepared to push it into 2021. We also have a March 2021 cruise that I think we’ll be cancelling. Thinking maybe replacing it with Hawaii, but won’t make that decision for awhile.

We didn't have a Disney trip planned, but we were supposed to fly into Denver, stay for a few days, take the train through the mountains to Salt Lake City, and then go to Yellowstone, flying back home from SLC. We cancelled it. It's too stressful, not knowing if there will be hotels open, anyplace to get a decent meal, if that train will be running to SLC, having to quarantine in different states, etc. It was just too stressful, too many unknowns- and even if my questions are resolved in a couple of weeks, it could all change at the drop of a hat. Instead we are renting a cottage on a beach in the state where we live, so we know the accommodation will be there, we can drive to and from in our own car, we'll have a kitchen and can bring groceries if need be, and we won't have to quarantine when we get back.

We booked a long weekend in October at WDW to make up for the Disney cruise we missed in April. As Disney started to look less feasible, I booked a backup hotel on the beach in Cocoa Beach to give us options. We are definitely not doing Disney, as of last night. If we are able to fly then, we will spend the weekend in Cocoa Beach...maybe do the space center and Brevard Zoo. I'm not aiming to try for Disney again until late next summer.

We have moved our Disney trip from this September to February next year hoping that, by then, the US will have opened it's borders to us non resident aliens.
In the meantime, when international travel reopens in Europe, probably in July, we can go to our apartment in Spain.

ford family

We didn't have a Disney trip planned, but we were supposed to fly into Denver, stay for a few days, take the train through the mountains to Salt Lake City, and then go to Yellowstone, flying back home from SLC. We cancelled it. It's too stressful, not knowing if there will be hotels open, anyplace to get a decent meal, if that train will be running to SLC, having to quarantine in different states, etc. It was just too stressful, too many unknowns- and even if my questions are resolved in a couple of weeks, it could all change at the drop of a hat. Instead we are renting a cottage on a beach in the state where we live, so we know the accommodation will be there, we can drive to and from in our own car, we'll have a kitchen and can bring groceries if need be, and we won't have to quarantine when we get back.
A cottage in Maine is ALWAYS a great vacation. Have a wonderful time!

We didn’t have a Disney trip planned, but we are planning to spend a week or so in the Mt. Washington area of NH. We are very lucky that my brother has a condo there that will be empty all summer so we can go whenever we want. We will float on tubes in the Saco river, go canoeing and do lots of hikes and picnics by waterfalls. Always a great time and we don’t have to be near a lot of people.

We have a Universal and Disney trip booked in October. Depending on how things evolve with Disney, we may cancel the Disney portion and stay a few extra days at Universal. Perhaps tack on a couple days in Clearwater or at the Margaritaville resort in Orlando. We're also considering alternatives outside of FL as we are flying from NY which has restrictions in FL, so Vegas, Outer Banks, and Hilton Head are on the short list as well.

I canceled my November reservation at the Yacht Club yesterday. We’ve decided it is just too much money to spend to not have the full Disney experience. We have been many, many times over the years (most recently last November) so there is no urgency. My adult son and I also had plans to go to NYC in October, and we have decided against that, too.

I have plans with a friend to go to Northern Michigan in August and September. Those trips are on for now, unless something changes. I remain hopeful.

Last edited:
We didn’t have a Disney trip planned, but we are planning to spend a week or so in the Mt. Washington area of NH. We are very lucky that my brother has a condo there that will be empty all summer so we can go whenever we want. We will float on tubes in the Saco river, go canoeing and do lots of hikes and picnics by waterfalls. Always a great time and we don’t have to be near a lot of people.

You are going to have a great vacation! One summer we rented a cottage just north of North Conway (in Bartlett?) and had a lovely time. The Saco River ran through the property, we drove up MtWashington, took the gondola up Wildcat Mountain and hiked around on the summit, hiked the Flume, explored the notches, saw the Old Man in the Mountain before he "fell." It was amazing, beautiful, restorative, relaxing. We had a great time!!

Regarding the cottage in Maine... Yup, we will be in York for a week. I have 2 siblings in town (so adult nieces and nephews, too) and spent every summer for about 30 years at my mom's place (no longer own it, though). At first I balked at the price (NOT cheap) but when I figured out hotel costs, rental car, restaurant meals, train fare, etc for out CO/UT trip, it put it all in perspective. We have a 2br cottage with living area/kitchen, a 3 minute walk from the ocean. We'll spend the week taking coffee to the beach to see the sunrise, wine in the evening at sunset, doing a lot of cooking outside, visiting with family, and just relaxing. It won't be the vacation we'd anticipated, but it WILL be a vacation for us (as opposed to staying at a siblings' home)... and I won't stress to the max trying to plan it!!

My husband’s and my families are spread out from NY to Florida and out to Colorado, so our vacations often include trying to visit someone combined with some explore on our own time. My extended family rents a house on the outer banks of North Carolina every summer, and I’ll be there soon for two weeks without my husband because he has been swamped with work for months. Once he slows down, we will go upstate and spend a few days at a lake house that is our true happy place.

We have an August trip which we have no intention of canceling as of now. But we have explored Universal as a back up plan. They seem to have a plan together and based on limited experience so far, guests are going and having a great time.

i am holding out hope WDW releases more details and we can go and have a great time!

but I’d not, universal seems easy enough to plan.

We cancelled our September trip and are just doing a staycation this year. We live on a lake in a tourist area so I suppose we're "on vacation" all of the time. I'll probably take a week off in July and one in August (DH is retired). We do have a long weekend planned for DD's wedding in October (if that happens).

We dumped our October DCL a while ago. We are traveling to southern Utah and Vegas in July instead. The school schedule may change and not include a fall break, so we are going when we know we are all available, which is like, now! We still hope to get to DLR before the end of the year, but that’s so up in the air right now.

Do you mean normally or with our current situation? We had 5 trips of different lengths planned for 2020 including Disney. All are cancelled. We feel things are opening too early and no one should be going anywhere not truly essential so the 21 days of PTO I have to take this year will all be at home.

Normally we try to do one trip to visit friends or family around the country and *** in a national or state park near their home. I also look for out of state races I want to do and plan trips with either just friends or the family. Our preschooler will be entering school so we will start to plan summer trips in the coming years. Both my wife and I can work from anywhere so we are toying with spending a month somewhere and mixing PTO with just working some days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter