• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is your pet peeve about grammar?

Cue.

Walt Disney World may provide an indication of something to say or do. It may have some venues with pool or billiard tables, and the sticks necessary to play said games.

Lines, on the other hand, are queues.

I am bothered by so many of the examples in this thread, because I don't think it's a huge burden to learn to use the language properly. One of my biggest peeves at the moment is the use of "I's," as in, "It's my husband and I's anniversary." Makes my skin crawl! (to say nothing of the way "husband" is used)

Also on my list:
> The demise of the adverb
> Making everything possessive instead of simply pluralizing
> Not using the Oxford comma
> seen
> less vs fewer

There are more, but it's late and I'm tired.

Last edited:
Cue.

Walt Disney World may provide an indication of something to say or do. It may have some venues with pool or billiard tables, and the sticks necessary to play said games.

Lines, on the other hand, are queues.

I’m going to qualify this one as a spelling peeve and so I will break the rules and add ‘walla/h’

O
M
G

My eye twitches sooooo hard when I see that. Again, I’ll admit, I judge people who do this.

I’m going to qualify this one as a spelling peeve and so I will break the rules and add ‘walla/h’

O
M
G

My eye twitches sooooo hard when I see that. Again, I’ll admit, I judge people who do this.

Voila! No more eye twitch!
(sorry- can't figure out how to insert the accent mark!)

I was thinking that poster was referring to the proper pronounciation as ant-eye.
OP here and YES, thank you. I always say and thought it was pronounced "ant-eye" if you are against something and "ant- tee" if the person is your relative.

OP here and YES, thank you. I always say and thought it was pronounced "ant-eye" if you are against something and "ant- tee" if the person is your relative.

Thinking about it, I use both pronounciations of anti (ant-eye and an-tee).

Six pages and no one hit on either of the two which bother me the most:

It's " if I were..." .NOT "if I was...."

And using literally when speaking figuratively.

I agree with most of the others posted here, but those two really get to me.

I have no issues at all with accents (pronouncing asked like axed, or how one says anti) but cringe when people use the wrong words, such as:
It's a mute point
All intensive purposes
Right off the back

And so on. Ugh

I see this all of the time, especially online, but never see anyone complain about it. It's the use of "you" instead of "your" as in "type this on you keyboard." It drives me nuts, yet no one else notices?

Six pages and no one hit on either of the two which bother me the most:

It's " if I were..." .NOT "if I was...."

And using literally when speaking figuratively.

I agree with most of the others posted here, but those two really get to me.

I have no issues at all with accents (pronouncing asked like axed, or how one says anti) but cringe when people use the wrong words, such as:
It's a mute point
All intensive purposes
Right off the back

And so on. Ugh

Was and were is one that trips me up. Unless it’s obvious, I’m never sure of which one to use.

Was and were is one that trips me up. Unless it’s obvious, I’m never sure of which one to use.
To keep it truly simple you almost always want were when it follows " if I". The if is a big tip off.

"I was" relates to things that actually happened.
"If I were" is for hypothetical situations.
Ex:

I was late to work, but my boss didn't care.
If I were late to work, I'd be docked pay.

I was going to give you 100 dollars but since you didn't miss the lawn I'm keeping it for myself.
If I were to give you 100, what would you do with it?

I was a rich man until I lost all my money producing Starlight Express
If I were a rich man I'd produce a rivival of Fiddler on Broadway.

To keep it truly simple you almost always want were when it follows " if I". The if is a big tip off.

"I was" relates to things that actually happened.
"If I were" is for hypothetical situations.
Ex:

I was late to work, but my boss didn't care.
If I were late to work, I'd be docked pay.

I was going to give you 100 dollars but since you didn't miss the lawn I'm keeping it for myself.
If I were to give you 100, what would you do with it?

I was a rich man until I lost all my money producing Starlight Express
If I were a rich man I'd produce a rivival of Fiddler on Broadway.

Thank you. That’s a really good explanation.

The grammar thing that frustrates me the most is mixing up "your" and "you're", or "their", "they're" and "there".

“ All of the sudden” or “All the sudden” for All of a sudden . The last phrase is the only correct one.

1)Missing words: When somebody says "I graduated high school" or "I graduated college" and omit "from."
When "of" is not used. Example: "Couple of (whatever)" and "of" is not used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter