What is your earliest "where were you when" story?

Spinneret

DIS Veteran
I remember being in primary school and them putting a TV and showing that the queen's mother had died

It's a bit murky, but when I was very little, I remember when the news broke that Ronald Reagan had been shot. I freaked out a little because I thought he had died. My mom had to calm me down and explain "he's not dead yet."

I remember very clearly when Regan was shot, it happened soon after my 9th birthday and I was annoyed because all of my after school shows were preempted!

Horrible things tend to happen when my family goes on vacation.
I was at WDW for the Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine, and Sandy Hook.
We had just gotten into our room at the Disneyland Hotel when we turned on the news and saw about the TWA flight 800 crash. A little disconcerting when we had just been on planes all day. We were still on vacation in CA 10 days later when the Olympic Park bombing happened, too.

I kinda sorta remember the family gathered around the B&W tube TV watching one of the moon landings. I also kinda remember when Nixon stepped down. I was really young, just vague details.

The first vivid memory was the Challenger explosion. I was in HS in a math class and a group of students had gathered in an adjoining hallway to watch the liftoff on TV. We heard everyone gasp then one of the students actually burst into the room to tell us what happened.

Horrible things tend to happen when my family goes on vacation.
I was at WDW for the Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine, and Sandy Hook.
We had just gotten into our room at the Disneyland Hotel when we turned on the news and saw about the TWA flight 800 crash. A little disconcerting when we had just been on planes all day. We were still on vacation in CA 10 days later when the Olympic Park bombing happened, too.
Please post your travel schedule, kthxbye

That would be Elvis. I didn't really know who he was, but all the women in my family were so upset.

Challenger, though, that was different. I was in my teens and it was a snow day (no school). I was babysitting the four neighbor kids and was like "Hey! Let's watch the space shuttle launch!"..... I can still remember their eyes looking at me as I tried to figure out how to explain what happened.

Assassination of President Kennedy. 7th grade. Our principal came on the loud speaker and his voice cracked as he told us.

Apollo 11 moon landing. The family was gathered in the living room, watching Neil Armstrong step onto the lunar surface. I remember saying that I could barely see the image and my older siblings telling me to be quiet. I also remember being somewhat bored. :)

The first one that comes to my mind was the death of Princess Diana. I know exactly where I was when I heard the news.

JFK assassination. I was in first grade. I don't recall the announcement, but we apparently we were sent home early.
I do remember getting the day of the funeral off from school and wondering why EVERY TV station was covering the funeral. All 4 of them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter