• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is with Vinylmation?!?!?!?!

Sydnerella

enough is as good as a feast

This is so not important, but I have to ask....

We just got back from WDW and we saw this product there and looked at each other with big ? in our eyes - :confused3

What is with all the interest/promotion of these little dudes?

Today I just saw an email about them from the Disney store - are they the new beenie babies/tickle me elmos or mouse ears craze?

just wondering and clearly a bit out of it!
Sydnerella's Mama

I'm hoping someone can explain this as well.

They're not even as cute as beanie babies and tickle me elmo (at least to me).

My husband and I have been to the World a few times recently and we just don't "get" it.

Can't help you, sorry, because I don't get it either, but people do seem to go crazy for them. Probably part of it is you don't know what you get until you open the box (the thrill of the hunt?), and part of it is that they are created to commemorate rides or characters. Myself, I am just grateful for once Disney started making something I do not feel the need to collect! LOL I am running out of room!

I don't get the smaller ones. I don't think they're cute at all. Last fall, however, I did buy one of the large white ones for each of my kids. They used those to collect character autographs. It was a bit more of a pain to take them around, and if you weren't careful, the signatures would smudge. We were looking for something different than autograph books and baseball caps, since we'd done that before. The larger vinylmations with autographs look really cute in the kids' rooms.

Count us in too :confused3

It reminds me of the 50 or so statues they created of mickey mouse a few years back... in which each was painted differently. Remember those?

I actually like a few of them... especially the disney related ones... but the fact that most of the pins/toys are "surprise buys"... loses it's appeal to us!

Perhaps it was a ploy for the young male demographic disney seems to have lost?

I have no iterest in them. Give me a great painting anyday or even the normal statues.

Glad I'm not alone. I just don't get it either.:confused3 But what the heck, to each their own. And like others said something I don't feel the need to buy so better on my checkbook.

Can't help you, sorry, because I don't get it either, but people do seem to go crazy for them. Myself, I am just grateful for once Disney started making something I do not feel the need to collect! QUOTE]

Totally agree!! My kids didn't really get the point either & they were 5, 10 & 15 on our last trip. I'm not sure what their target group is but it missed my whole crew & that's rare.

This is so funny, becasue I didn't like them at first either. My Dbf (25) LOVES them. I was shocked when we were leaving on the ME for the way home and he pulled out a package to give me and volia! he handed me one of the packages.

I was thrilled! I got a really cute one and the fact that he bought it for me probally has something to do with the fact that I do think they're cute.

I keep a small collection on my desk at work and it makes me smile when I see them... so there you go!

I agree, I don't get these things. Is it just me or do some of them remind you of creepy mutant aliens??

When we first saw the display at the Gift Shop - we all looked at each like - WHAT????? Didn't buy any....... Glad to hear that we are not the only ones!

They actually creep me out! I think for my generation, they're just so anti-traditional Disney, and I like the classics. But I'm sure Disney's marketing dept. cashed in on these with a younger demographic.

I agree with all of the above. At least there will be more for everyone else, because I will not be buying them.

I don't get them either. Some are kind of cute but I wouldn't want to waste money trying to get the one I want.

I'm sure glad it's not only me! I have a couple of them I received as gifts, and I had no clue what they were. They're just sitting on my shelves with my other Disney momentos, but I don't think they're particularly cute.

I love them. I think some of the art is very interesting. I also like it that they aren't all cutesy, some are very different. And my kids enjoyed the mystery of it all.
We brought some home our last trip (still sealed) and surprised the kids in their Christmas stockings. It was a huge hit.

I will be in the huge minority here and say that we've probably collected 40 of these. I think that it is just another Disney collectable that appeals to some more than others. Part of the attraction to us is not knowing which one you will get before you open the package. I will admit it is frustrating if you get a duplicate one though.

Side note: have any of you looked on Ebay? Some of the exclusive sets (Wall-E, Haunted Mansion Anniversary) go for more than $200!

TXHMF

I TOTALLY don't get it either!
I noticed them for the first time during one of our trips at the end of last year. Disney has really been trying to force these weird things down our throats since then.
They gave away a miniature one as the "gift" during the special passholder/DVC members clearance sale at World of Disney last December. I had no idea what I was supposed to do with it.
We just returned from WDW on Wednesday and I saw those darn things in one form or another in every store. I can honestly say that I never once saw anybody purchase one; and I did A LOT of shopping.

I guess we are a minority. My kids love these things. We only have 4 right now, but when we return in December, both kids have already asked to go to D street first. They plan to spend all of their souvie money on them.

Wow! I am so glad I am not alone! I think these things are not very cute and didn't really understand why they are all over never saw people buying them. Hmmm.....weird lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter