What is up with Frozen?!

Over $300 million domestic and for the first time someone is throwing around the possibility of a Billion worldwide! Also, the soundtrack has now topped the Billboard chart, only the 4th animated movie to ever accomplish that feat.

From Deadline / Hollywood:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/fro...y-at-655m-worldwide-to-date-is-broadway-next/

‘Frozen’ Becomes Shining Star For Disney: Surpasses $300M Domestically, At $655M Worldwide To Date; Is Broadway Next?

Frozen,the animated musical from Walt Disney Studios Animation, has slid past the $300M mark domestically, according to estimates Tuesday night. The film is on its way to becoming the highest-grossing Disney Animation release in history … one insider said it could become their Billion dollar baby. This, of course, begs the question — will Frozen‘s huge success take it all the way to the Great White Way? It a natural for Disney. The soundtrack just hit No. 1 on the Billboard chart today and the film itself seems custom-made for a stage presentation for a holiday season as soon as the ice freezes in Rockefeller Center. “There’s been no discussion on doing that with Frozen yet, but we are obviously aware how powerful it is and how powerful the music is,” said one top Disney executive. At present, Disney is prepping for Aladdin which bows on Broadway on March 20th. And, as everyone knows, The Lion King has become a huge success — for a while a permanent fixture – on Broadway, winning six Tony Awards and playing throughout the country and on stages worldwide (in many territories). It has, as of year-end 2013, become the first Broadway show ever with $1B in cume gross; it has been running 17 years to pass Les Miserables as the 4th longest running show on Broadway. So, it would make sense for Frozen to follow in its footsteps to become the next worldwide juggernaut. The Lion King box office success also spawned two direct-to-video films, a spinoff TV series and several video games. In fact, the previous record-holder at the worldwide box office for Disney was the original The Lion King, which in 1994 ended up with a total gross on its initial run of $313M domestically and $452M internationally for a total worldwide cume of $765M.

To date, Frozen has grossed an estimated $655.2M worldwide and the picture is still playing on 3,318 screens going into the weekend. Overseas, there are still a number of major territories yet to open – Korea (on Jan 16.), Japan (on March 15) and China, which may bow before Japan, but has yet to be determined. If Frozen continues on its run, it may also become the highest grossing non-sequel Disney/Pixar title (the sequel, Toy Story 3 is still the leader). Frozen actually could surpass Finding Nemo, which took in $340M and $528M on its initial run for a worldwide total of $868M. Both Lion King and Finding Nemo had re-issues in 3D formats which pushed their lifetime box office take even higher. The Lion King’s final worldwide cume was $987.4M; Finding Nemo ended at $936.7M worldwide. “It was a super rare feat for Frozen to return to the top spot after its initial opening which puts it line with Avatar and Titanic, and if you are ever mentioned in a sentence with them, you know there is something going right,” said Dave Hollis, EVP of distribution for the Walt Disney Studios. He attributed its success to quality filmmaking and also being one of the few family films that audiences had to choose from over the holiday. “It was a snowball effect. It had more momentum as time went by. It all began with a really great story and creative excellence, and if you think about it, that is the foundation on which the company was built,” he said. “Quality storytelling and creating memorable characters with heart ultimately transcends language and culture which is why we are seeing strong business internationally.” Frozen has already become the highest grossing Disney Studios Animation picture of all time in Russia, the UK, and Mexico, with Italy and Spain having just surpassed Universal’s Despicable Me 2 run, he noted. The picture also had the biggest opening for a Disney animated film in Brazil.
I was just getting ready to post this. :thumbsup2

I can't let this thread die as long as Frozen continues its record setting pace. Frozen is now at $712,261,000 worldwide and hasn't opened yet in some huge markets such as China and Japan!

From BoxOfficeMojo.com tonight on the weekend numbers:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3771&p=.htm

"In second place, Disney Animation's Frozen eased 23 percent to $15.1 million. Among seventh weekends, that ranks fourth all-time behind Avatar, Titanic and The Passion of the Christ. So far, Frozen has earned an astounding $317.7 million."

Later in the article on world box office:

"Frozen led the foreign box office for the first time this weekend. The Disney Animation blockbuster added $27.8 million from 50 markets for a new foreign total of $394.6 million. On Sunday, it passed Tangled's $391 million total. With South Korea and Turkey next weekend and China and Japan coming up, the movie still has a lot of overseas earnings on the way."

I can't let this thread die as long as Frozen continues its record setting pace. Frozen is now at $712,261,000 worldwide and hasn't opened yet in some huge markets such as China and Japan!

From BoxOfficeMojo.com tonight on the weekend numbers:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3771&p=.htm

"In second place, Disney Animation's Frozen eased 23 percent to $15.1 million. Among seventh weekends, that ranks fourth all-time behind Avatar, Titanic and The Passion of the Christ. So far, Frozen has earned an astounding $317.7 million."

Later in the article on world box office:

"Frozen led the foreign box office for the first time this weekend. The Disney Animation blockbuster added $27.8 million from 50 markets for a new foreign total of $394.6 million. On Sunday, it passed Tangled's $391 million total. With South Korea and Turkey next weekend and China and Japan coming up, the movie still has a lot of overseas earnings on the way."

When I first read some of the markets that Frozen still has to open in I was shocked! The movie still has a lot of money left to make!

I know it dropped from #1 this weekend but I think to still be #2 this long after it was first released is something, especially for a animated film. The movie is certainly special.

EDIT: Just re-read that it was the fourth best seventh weekend of all time...WOW. Good company to be in with Avatar and Titanic.

There is more today including an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal and an article where Iger says it is going to Broadway. Also an article that is very interesting but not brand new that explains why the marketing was spot on.

I like the article. It basically says they attracted young children with Olaf and Sven, and intentionally "undersold" the movie. This only works if you know the movie is very good. People come out of the movie and tell everyone else; "Wow, so much better than we expected!" The idea being let people who go to see it sell the movie. We know they will because we know it's good. Obviously the marketing worked.

Looks like it will definitely make upper $700 Millions, very possibly in the $800 Millions or even more. It all depends on how long it's "legs" last.

There is a very good article by the Wall Street Journal on Frozen titled; "A Charmed Life for Disney's 'Frozen'." I cannot get the link below to work without signing in now. Google Frozen in Google News and you can get the article. I don't think the link will work for you, but here it is:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303819704579316722023392130.html

Iger says Frozen has restored our Mojo: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/13/disney-ceo-iger-frozen-has-restored-our-mojo/

Why marketing campaign was spot on: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/12/10/in-defense-of-disneys-false-frozen-sell/

Review: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/11/19/review-frozen-is-disneys-best-toon-in-years/

Am I the only one that thinks we can close this thread about Frozen not making any money?

Am I the only one that thinks we can close this thread about Frozen not making any money?

I say change the title to "What's up with Frozen MAKING SO MUCH MONEY?"

Too curious where it will end up at this point. :thumbsup2

I say change the title to "What's up with Frozen MAKING SO MUCH MONEY?"

Too curious where it will end up at this point. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

Haha. And I just can't help myself! I keep looking for articles.

I'm not gonna. I'm not gonna. I'm not gonna. I'm not... Oh FORGET IT...

I TOLD YOU SO!
:banana::woohoo::yay:
:cheer2:Frozen is great!:cheer2:

There. Got that off my chest.

:duck:

Well it is close to $650 million so maybe you'll get your wish for IMAX when they do the re-release! :)
~I would love that! It's fascinating how Frozen made so much without any IMAX. If Frozen was on IMAX, Disney would have made a billion by now. :rotfl:

There is more today including an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal and an article where Iger says it is going to Broadway. Also an article that is very interesting but not brand new that explains why the marketing was spot on.

I like the article. It basically says they attracted young children with Olaf and Sven, and intentionally "undersold" the movie. This only works if you know the movie is very good. People come out of the movie and tell everyone else; "Wow, so much better than we expected!" The idea being let people who go to see it sell the movie. We know they will because we know it's good. Obviously the marketing worked.

Looks like it will definitely make upper $700 Millions, very possibly in the $800 Millions or even more. It all depends on how long it's "legs" last.

There is a very good article by the Wall Street Journal on Frozen titled; "A Charmed Life for Disney's 'Frozen'." I cannot get the link below to work without signing in now. Google Frozen in Google News and you can get the article. I don't think the link will work for you, but here it is:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303819704579316722023392130.html

Iger says Frozen has restored our Mojo: http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/13/disney-ceo-iger-frozen-has-restored-our-mojo/

Why marketing campaign was spot on: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/12/10/in-defense-of-disneys-false-frozen-sell/

Review: http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/11/19/review-frozen-is-disneys-best-toon-in-years/
~Wow, this is great!!!^^^ Frozen has made over $700,000,000 at this point, and the soundtrack is still number one on the Billboard charts. :goodvibes

Oscar Nominations Announced

The Oscar nominees have officially been announced! Don’t miss The Oscars live on Sunday, March 2nd at 7e|4p on ABC.

oscars.jpg

Here are the Walt Disney Company nominees:

• Animated Feature, Frozen
  • Original Song, “Let It Go” from Frozen (music and lyrics by Kristin Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez)
  • Short Film – Animated, Get a Horse!
  • Original Score, Saving Mr. Banks (Thomas Newman)
  • Visual Effects, Iron Man 3 and The Lone Ranger
  • Makeup and Hairstyling, The Lone Ranger

And here’s the full list of nominees: http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2014/01/16/oscar-nominations-announced/

Thanks for the above post! I knew Frozen and song were nominated, AWESOME!! Was hoping the Mickey short before the movie would also be nominated, so that's very exciting to hear, I hadn't heard yet!! I was very sad, though, that Saving Mr. Banks was not nominated for best pic as was expected to be, nor Emma Thompson for best actress and she was expected to be a shoe in for that. Very disappointed in that. Oh well. Frozen did great!!!

And, for the record, I'm glad to keep seeing this thread pop up! I'm very interested in the numbers for this movie and too curious to see where things end up! And I'm appreciative of those sharing the great articles and info! :)

http://io9.com/mr-freeze-sings-let-it-go-from-disneys-frozen-1508823194

1878694-nora___victor_fries_on_batman___robin.jpg

Youtube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-qgRasdvc#t=99

Don't fight it. You knew this was inevitable. Honestly, we're surprised it took this long.

Via creators 2chinTV:

Pixar Animation Studios, the studio behind "Toy Story 3" and "Free Birds," presents "Freezin'," a stunning big-screen comedy adventure. Determined scientist Victor (Arnold Schwarzenegger) sets off on an epic journey—teaming up with his loyal henchmen—to make Gotham City pay for his wife thawing research.

The film is directed by Christoher Nolan ("Batman," "The Prestige") and produced by Michael Uslan ("Swamp Thing"). Featuring music from Golden Globe®-winner Diane Warren ("Space Jam," "Mannequin") and U2.

In this clip... Victor, heartbroken over the freezing of his wife, escapes Arkham Asylum and completes his freeze ray, blanketing Gotham City in ice.

Look, it's well clear by now that the absolute best part of Frozen is Idina Menzel's performance of this ridiculously catchy ballad – but this... there are just no words. Probably our favorite take on the song since this little rendition.
Not bad.... :thumbsup2

I am very curious to see how many people return to the theater next weekend for the sing-a-long version of Frozen. I'm taking some kids.

Below is this weekends update from Boxofficemojo.com:

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3776&p=.htm

Around-the-World Roundup

Not to sound like a broken record, but Frozen had another strong weekend at the overseas box office. The movie added $20.2 million for a new total of $462.5 million. In South Korea, it was up 20 percent from its opening, and it's already the highest-grossing Disney/Pixar release ever there with $22.6 million.

Its worldwide tally has now passed $810 million. If it lives up to its potential in China (Feb. 5th) and Japan (March 15th), it should ultimately reach $1 billion.

HOLY FRICK FROZEN IS AWESOME. Yes, I created an account just to say that. If I had to predict Frozen's box office run, I'd put it between 960 million to 1.03 billion worldwide. Hopefully it crosses the 1 B mark, it deserves it!

HOLY FRICK FROZEN IS AWESOME. Yes, I created an account just to say that. If I had to predict Frozen's box office run, I'd put it between 960 million to 1.03 billion worldwide. Hopefully it crosses the 1 B mark, it deserves it!

You betcha!

I just came back from the theater and our 3rd showing. My wife and I took 5 kids, or you might say my wife took 6 kids. :p

The 4:45 non-sing-along showing was PACKED! The third time I loved the movie even more! And the music even more! This movie is great! I hope they sing several songs at the Oscars.

I'll give a report when the box-office estimates are in Sunday evening. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact the sing along version has on numbers. It was the number one movie for advance ticket sales on Fandango Friday.

The blizzard continues!

Frozen won 5 Annies and is going to just edge out a new release to be #2 at the box office this weekend with over $9 million in it's 11th week!

Worldwide Frozen stands at $864.4 Million and STILL hasn't opened in the huge markets of Japan and China (I think one opens in February, the other in March) They are still talking Billion. Also Frozen is now officially the highest earning original non-sequel animated movie of all time.

From the LA Times on the Annies:

"Walt Disney Animation Studio's box office blockbuster "Frozen" won the 41st Annie Award for animated flm Saturday evening at a ceremony at UCLA's Royce Hall.

The film, which is nominated for an Oscar for animated feature, also won the honors for directing for Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee; music for Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez and Christophe Beck; production design; and voice acting for Josh Gad as Olaf."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...d-film-20140131,0,1741428.story#ixzz2sCTJ3HZ2

The short Get a Horse also won.

Here is the Variety article on Frozen's wins:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/frozen-takes-top-prize-at-annie-awards-1201081607/

More info tomorrow when we get the final weekend numbers. Same Frozen time, same Frozen channel...

Frozen Beats Fire With Ice at Box Office: $864 Million http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/02/frozen-beats-fire-with-ice-at-box-office-865-million/

Two princesses outflank one Katniss

ttt736621.jpg

It’s not fair, two princesses ganging up on one commoner. But Anna and Elsa have caught Katniss.

Frozen, Disney’s animated feature based on Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen,” passed The Hunger Games: Catching Fire this weekend in cumulative worldwide box office, $864.4 million to $859.6 million. Neither film will come close to the $1.2 billion earned by Iron Man 3, the top-grossing picture released in 2013. But Frozen, which has yet to open in Japan or the much vaster market of China, could conceivably overtake the year’s worldwide runner-up, Despicable Me 2. At the moment the Disney cartoon is almost exactly $100 million behind the Universal cartoon. Gru, you’ve been served.

Since Pixar stole the animation thunder, beginning with the 1995 Toy Story, and broke Disney’s six-decade monopoly on the format, the parent studio has seemed an irrelevancy. For a decade or so it floundered between 2-D and 3-D. As late as 2009, with The Princess and the Frog, the studio was thought behind the times by focusing on female-centric stories. (Pixar, which earned the billions and the Oscars, preferred guy fables.) But Tangled, Disney’s take on Rapunzel, made money when released in 2010. And now Frozen, the first Disney animated feature with two princesses, has become the studio’s all-time animated moneymaker, passing The Lion King (in inflated dollars).

Since opening in late November, Frozen has remained in the top five each weekend, earning more than $360 million at the domestic box office and another $500 million abroad. And to put a ribbon on the money bag, the movie won five big prizes at last night’s Annie Awards, honoring film animation: feature, director, voice actor (Josh Gad as Olaf the Snowman), production design and, not least, music. Putting a sing-along version in 2,500 theaters this weekend was a smart idea for a property that is as much a musical as a movie phenomenon. Last week Frozen returned to the top of the Billboard charts, making it the first soundtrack to be the No. 1 album for three weeks or more since Zac Efron’s High School Musical 2. And in a year or two, the show will be headed to Broadway.

Even if Frozen doesn’t overtake Despicable Me 2, it and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire have proved the power of movies focused on strong young females. Jennifer Lawrence’s Katniss Everdeen will be saving Panem next November, and Anna and Elsa will surely be back, in sequels and theme-park attractions. All three women are elemental. But this time, Frozen is the victor. It’s beaten fire with ice.

Read more: 'Frozen' Tops 'Hunger Games' at Box Office With $864 Million | TIME.com http://entertainment.time.com/2014/...-ice-at-box-office-865-million/#ixzz2sFvTntlm

What's remarkable is that the movie is still making good money at the box office, and it's due to arrive in homes over the next 3 (Feb 25th via Digital HD) to 6 (March 18th on Blu-Ray and DVD) weeks.

I can't recall a major studio release that was still making this kind of noise in theaters, (#2 in the domestic box office last week with about 9.5 million) that was going to see home release this "quickly" after the end of it's wide release in theaters...since it seems like it will be on big screens for at least a couple more weeks.

I mean..is it possible Disney will still have this movie in theaters (maybe with more "sing along" type additions) WHILE it's hitting the home market? I can't even imagine....

Thanks for posting that article, Rumors Rocks!

Pilferk, that is an interesting question. I have seen many movies come out on Blu-ray/DVD while the movie was still in theaters, but that is usually when it is near the end of it's run and has very small numbers so it won't make a difference.

Disney could delay the release, or they could let it happen and figure people will still go to the theater for the theater experience or the sing-along. We will see. I don't know about the digital release, but by the time the Blu-ray is released in March, the numbers will probably be small enough it won't matter.

We will see... I hope the numbers stay up and it keeps going to $400 Million domestic. I think it is going to reach $1 Billion worldwide anyway. This next weekend it opens in China which is a huge and continually expanding market!

My oldest son, almost 17 yo, went to the sing-along on Saturday night with a whole bunch of his high school friends. This movie is popular across a wide audience. For me, it offers the best music since Lion King. The story is simple, but the music and visuals are stunning.

Great job, Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter