• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is the smartest film/TV twist you have ever seen?

The one that immediately jumps to mind is the first episode of This Is Us. It was at the very end - a pan out to a wide shot of a hospital waiting room. The scene showed decor and people in attire instantly recognizable as being from early 1970'ish, which was the first clue the plot was not set in the present day. Surprising and VERY cleverly done. :idea:

Agree with This is Us. That was so well done all thoughout with mixing flashbacks, flash forwards, and everything developing in a totally different way than you might think. Loved that show.

The Sixth Sense is one of the best movies for a twist. Not going to spoil it at all. My son just watched it, and had NO idea about the twist.

I'll have to think of some more, I know there are some other great ones!!

Imminent arrival. A short sci fi film on youtube from Dust.
It's well worth 20 minutes of your time.
Can't link it on this board because it would be rated R
Reaper Rick, a paranoid country prepper, conspiracy believer whose fears actually come true.

Last edited:
The Good Place twist is one that I loved. I also like that they managed to get beyond that twist and still be a funny show.

The Usual Suspects has a great twist, but it's hard to watch now because of some of the parties involved.

i thought the manner in which the show 'manifest' wrapped up was done very smartly-neither of a couple of very predictible endings came to fruition. very smart, very satisfying.
I thought just the opposite. I saw that ending coming from a mile away but was ok with it. It was probably the best way to end that.

I thought just the opposite. I saw that ending coming from a mile away but was ok with it. It was probably the best way to end that.
:confused: How did it end? We dropped off watching it somewhere along the way but had been pretty engaged for the first season or two.

The one that immediately jumps to mind is the first episode of This Is Us. It was at the very end - a pan out to a wide shot of a hospital waiting room. The scene showed decor and people in attire instantly recognizable as being from early 1970'ish, which was the first clue the plot was not set in the present day. Surprising and VERY cleverly done. :idea:
I think they were born in 1980 (I loved that show, but it seemed implausible that a woman pregnant with triplets wasn’t on bed rest, or that their delivery wouldn’t be attended by a ton of medical staff).

Its been quite a while since I read the book and saw the movie but I loved Shutter Island. Huge Dennis Lehane fan.

"The Sixth Sense" didn't really surprise me as I caught it right away...but I only watched the movie a few years ago and think we're more used to plot twists nowadays.

"Psycho" has a pretty legendary one

Probably my favorite is "Atonement"

First thing I thought of was 6th Sense. I caught the twist about 12 seconds before the reveal.
The end of the Newhart show, the series where he was an innkeeper in Vermont, was pretty amusing!
I have always thought that how the Newhart show ended was the best sitcom finale ever!

Not a show or movie, but the book My Sister’s Keeper. That was a good one. Although, most of Jodi Picoults books have some kind of twist that leaves you questioning everything you thought before.

Also wanted to mention, even though it wasn't a listed category...video games.

Final Fantasy 7, the original already had some wild plot twists...THEN Remake and now Rebirth came out (They're basically splitting the original game into 3 titles) and whoa....intense and very complex plot twists in these games...people going crazy trying to keep up with the theories, symbolism, even the hints in the soundtrack of what is happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter