What is so great about TL wave pool?

kbr345

Mouseketeer
Can someone tell me about Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool? I often hear people say they get scraped up and bloody knees yet some say they love it and it is a must do. We will be going in 3 weeks and have only been to BB. Our girls are 10 and 13. Your thoughts?

It'll knock you down something silly. My boys loved it the last time we went (2006, I think) -- me, I couldn't stand it. Never again.

Can someone tell me about Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool? I often hear people say they get scraped up and bloody knees yet some say they love it and it is a must do. We will be going in 3 weeks and have only been to BB. Our girls are 10 and 13. Your thoughts?

At BB they have a "bobbing" wave pool that creates like little mounds of waves. At TL half the time its like the one at BB but the other half its real waves that break like on the ocean. After hours they even have surfing.

The waves are around 6 feet high and in the right spot will knock you down. If you stay in the swallow area its not so bad just like at the ocean.

This pretty much shows the waves it can create.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VibvjQbNFD0

They have some really decent waves at TL. I like to swim out to the deep area where the crowds are sparse and tread water between waves. So fun and great exercise.

I remember getting the crap beat out of me by the waves when I was 3.

:rotfl: What happened to you didnt make me laugh but your wording did! The same words I would use for every time I am in there....:laughing:

I love it though, its really good fun! I once was totally wiped out by the wave and resurfaced with a few layers of skin less on my knees but it didnt put me off going back in!

Last time we were there, we were with two 9 year olds and a 6 year old who absolutely loved the waves! They are very boisterous little boys though! :rolleyes:

when my family first went to TL when i was about 8, i remember my mom and dad being all 'why is everyone standing around as if they are waiting for something?' lol! little did we know that it was a big **** wave.
still, we went to both BB and TL last trip, and maybe it was because it was a dull and rainy day at BB, but we had a much better time at TL.
try to stay either where it's quite shallow (with the kiddies definately) or quite deep. it's the part in the middle where the waves crash that will beat you up. bloody hurts too! i scraped my knee the first time we went and i scraped it again when we went last time. why is the floor so bloomin' rough? lol.
still, as long as you either stay shallow or stay in the little 'kiddy' pool, you'll be fine. or grab yourself a dingy and have a relax on the lazy river. the lazy river is AWESOME.

I wanted to love it but couldn't. I love rough waves and am a fantastic swimmer, but when my parents took me at age, oh 8-9, my mom (who doesn't ever like to go under water) heard the wave coming and grabbed me, accidentally dragging me across the harsh floor! My dad had gone out further but she wouldn't let me go, and in her panicked state - in all 4 inches of water at the top of the pool! - took me down hard! I haven't been back since, as I just generally much prefer BB.

But I could see why people would love it! It really is more of waves instead of gentle swells like at BB. I would think if your girls are good swimmers and you trust that they can swim well, they'll be fine. If not you may just want to keep them closer to "shore."

My terrifying experience at TL wasn't from the wave pool, but from my mom and her hilariously wild panic. (By the way, she ended up scratch-free, while I paraded around Disney another week and a half looking like my left thigh and knees were mauled by a wild animal!)

There is nothing better than being swept up by a huge wave and getting tossed 10 feet back in the water. :thumbsup2 and I am 47.:confused3

My kids would stay in this pool all day long just riding waves.

We went a couple of years ago. At first, like everyone else, we waded out to about chest deep water. When the huge wave came, it did take you for quite a ride, but it was what you expected, so it wasn't too bad.
After a while, though, my 2 kids and I decided to take a little break from the center of the pool, and so we went to shallow end, and just sat down in about 2 inches of water. While we were waiting for the wave to come, and hopefully get us a little wet I happened to look over at the lifeguard. He looked at me, and just kind of rolled his eyes (I think he had a little smirk on his face as well). I just figured that he probably thought we were being chickens for only wanting a small bit of water to greet us.
About 20 seconds later we heard the big boom, indicating that the wave was on it's way. As we sat there waiting, it seemed like the wave that was rushing towards us for some reason didn't really seem to be getting any smaller. I mean surely, by the time it would reach us, it would just be a small wave of a couple of inches or two, right? WRONG. By the time we realized that we were sitting down in front of a wave that was still a good 4 feet or so, it was far too late. The next thing we knew we were tumbling along like some tumbleweeds in a strong desert storm. That wave must have transported us a good 30 feet, all of which was across the very rough bottom of the pool. Maybe because it's because she's so small, and doesn't weigh much, but my daughter came out of it in pretty good shape (a bit dizzy, but pretty much without any extra damage). Both my son and I however, were bleeding from quite a few different spots, and the injuries we got were the kind that would last us most of our trip (not exactly the kind of souvenirs that you are hoping to take home).
So, I say all this to simply let you know that if you are in the water at all when the wave comes, it can knock you around quite easily.
I would also say to watch out for human projectiles. Many people get swept away with the wave, and they have no way of controlling their destiny. If you happen to be in their path you will have a rather intimate encounter with their rapidly moving bodies.
Another thing I noticed while watching the Disney photographers (who seem to have figured the whole wave thing out) is that if you want to avoid getting tossed about, the best thing to do is to dive deep when the wave comes. Every time I saw them, they would be standing in a certain location, and just as the wave was about to hit them, they would go down to the bottom for a few seconds, and then pop right back up where they were.

The TL wave pool meets the needs of all ages, if visitors watch the effects before they enter and then go where they can handle the wave best.

It'll knock you down something silly. My boys loved it the last time we went (2006, I think) -- me, I couldn't stand it. Never again.

Me too.. I hate that wave pool. My son and husband love it. Honeslty not making more of this than it was but I almost drowned. I went down to grab my swim shoe that came off and then a wave came and I got sucked down and couldnt get back up. These poor bystanders helped me. I also scraped my knee. Never again:sad2::sad2:

We make TL a priority every trip and my kids love it. Our twin girls are 16 now and my husband comments that this is the only swimming pool that they want to hang around and play with him still. :lovestruc (being that friends are thousands of miles away and won't see them hanging out with their dad- oh the horror...) :eek:

The last time we went, the girls were about 12 and the waves tossed people around like they were paper. At one point, I heard one of my girls yell really loud "gross, that hairy guy in the speedo ran into me." It was hilarious - still makes me laugh. That is what I love about Disney - we create memories that last forever, sometimes at each others expense! :rotfl2:

Here is a link to a four minute video by the manufacturer of the wave machines.

Normally , when Guests are in the pool, the waves do not exceed five feet. For actual surfing (and there are before opening lesson, after hours surf parties, and after hours surfing competitions) the waves are six to seven feet.

We love the TL wave pool. Yes, we come out with bloody knees sometimes and somebody always lands on top of me. And I feel like I am going to drown quite a few times and my DH always loses his sunglasses, but still TL is a must do for my family. I admit it is strange to be battered and beat down and keep coming back for more............but we do!!!

It sounds fun and very exciting:banana:. I need to check that out when we go next time:goodvibes

We love TL and the wave pool too. If you pay attention, you're less likely to get dragged by a wave.

The TL wave pool meets the needs of all ages, if visitors watch the effects before they enter and then go where they can handle the wave best.

That is some pretty sound advice. I'll have to remember that for our trip. We live in Utah, and the water parks are just "meh." I can't wait to take her to a real water park--big, with an awesome wave pools (that actually works), and fun rides.

There is nothing better than being swept up by a huge wave and getting tossed 10 feet back in the water. :thumbsup2 and I am 47.:confused3

My kids would stay in this pool all day long just riding waves.

Oh, yeah. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 This coming from a grayhaired old lady with one total knee replacement already and another one coming in the next few months who could retire today if she wanted. BB bobbing pool is a waste of water and space. TL wave pool is the best!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter