What is new on DCL?

brandyleeann

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We have not cruised since Feb 2019 and I am excited to be planning our first real vacation since then for this coming November! We are booking onto the Dream for the 7-day Southern. We have done the Southern before out of San Juan, but our last cruise was on the Wonder. This will be our first on the Dream as I have always been turned off by the short itineraries it was sailing (we have to travel from Canada, so 7-days is a must).

Has anything changed a bunch in the past four years? Are we still using a KTTW? Is the dining rotation still on it and that is when you find out what night you are in each restaurant? Anything with COVID that I need to know about?

Thanks a bunch :)

Currently, no restrictions due to Covid. No tests or proof of vaccination. US citizens don’t have to show insurance. You might have restrictions for your return, imposed by Canada.

Menus are pretty much the same. You will see very similar menus in the restaurant off the atrium and in Animator’s Palace for one night. Pirate Menu. It’s still DCL menus. Nothing should surprise you.

And, yes, Rotational Dining. You find your rotation schedule in the app in your phone (that is probably new). Also listed are the menus. Accessible once onboard.

Gone are daily paper Navigators for activity schedules. On the app.

In addition to Palo for adult dinner and brunch is Remy, a French cuisine experience. A bit more upscale than Palo’s Italian. Palo brunch has lost its buffet portion. Prices on all these meals has gone up. Dress code has gone down - more relaxed, less restrictive.

As is the overall feel for attire and cruising in general - more casual (throughout much of the cruise industry).

Yes to the KTTW card. Future changes/ additions to this are possible for the future, but are currently only on the Wish and Fantasy.

I had a gap from Dec 2014 to Sep 2021 and had no surprises. The Disney Cruise formula gets tweaked very little. I have been ordering similar meals since 2007. If you are happy with past experiences, you should be able to go in expecting a similar reaction.

It is possible that the “best” thing about cruising might have gone away. But the Big Picture is very similar.

No Pirate Night Buffet after the Pirates IN the Caribbean Party with Fireworks.

No option for Cabanas at dinner.

Yes to 3 well-done production shows in the Walt Disney Theater.

Yes to latest Disney, Marvel, Indiana Jones movies in the Buena Vista Theater and all day movies on the Funnel Vision.

Pools are crowded. Wait, that’s not a change.

Adults hang out in their areas - pool, Satellite Falls (Dream, Fantasy), Cove Cafe (with free pastries).

Dream has a water ride over the pool area that was not on the Wonder.

Towel animals and chocolates put out during your twice daily room care (with turn down).

Cast Members are still friendly and want an Excellent rating on the exit survey.

Alcohol tastings seem to be more popular. Or people just talk about them more.

Soft drinks and self-serve ice cream are still complimentary.

The cruise groups that chatted on this forum have moved away to other social media sites, for most cruises.

You still don’t need to make reservations or worry about being blocked out of the evening shows. There is still a built-in attempt to give guests a similar cruise experience. Honestly, even those in Concierge don’t get any major priority. This is not true on other cruise lines. Booking excursions is still at set dates, based on Castaway Club (loyalty) status. That’s probably the biggest inequity.

The Dream has a larger Adults Only area for evening entertainment.

And the Aft elevators require you to walk through Cabanas to get to the pool. That was my biggest surprise - I had forgotten about that.

Gone are daily paper Navigators for activity schedules. On the app.
Navigators are still available -you need to request them. They have them at guest services, I believe they were available in the early morning. However, our room steward brought one to us each day when he made up the room.

And as others stated - the dinner menues haven't changed much at all. We are heading on our 10th Fantasy cruise later in the year and at this point I know exactly what I will order because it is the same. We end up taking advantage of the Indian cuisine of the day usually just to have something different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter