• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what is a biscuit

I see you're in Massachusetts, but you shore do sound like a proper southerner!

Why, thankie, kind sir. It's true, I'm a yankee (shhhh!) but I learn't all 'bout dem biscuits from Ellie May Clampett and Daisy Mae. Did anyone ever see the Beverly Hillbillies episode where Granny was trying to teach Ellie May to make biscuits and they were so heavy, they fell through the floor? Seriously, though, I had an aunt that was a true southerner, and she prided herself in her biscuit making ability. No Bisquick for her!!! MAn! they were good!;)

Now the real question is: do you just pour the gravy over the biscuit, or, do you properly break the biscuit in half and pour it on both sides?

As for me and my house, we break in half.

He Joyce,

Afgelopen jaar heb ik voor het eerst ook een biscuit geprobeerd. het lijkt op waar wij pasteitjes voor de raqout voor hebben, weinig smaak en een beetje zoutig.

Jutta

Well, I guess you didn't get a good one, because it is nothing like the "pasteitjes" for chicken ragout. Well, at least not when you eat good ones!

OMG, I'm so craving biscuits now.
Which sausage gravy.
Or just with butter. Lots and lots and lots of butter... mmmmmm

Thanks for this post, you have solved something that was really puzzling me. I’m from the UK and was wondering why you would eat sausage & gravy with biscuits (which to us in the UK are what you call cookies) it sounded horrible and I couldn’t understand why everybody was raving about it. What you call biscuits are what we call scones, so now I understand.

Over here we have Cornish cream tea which is scones (your biscuits) smothered with strawberry jam and topped with Cornish clotted cream. The yummiest way to eat scones in the whole world.

I’m really looking forward to trying biscuits & sausages when we come to WDW. Only 8 months to go!!

Thanks for this post, you have solved something that was really puzzling me. I’m from the UK and was wondering why you would eat sausage & gravy with biscuits (which to us in the UK are what you call cookies) it sounded horrible and I couldn’t understand why everybody was raving about it. What you call biscuits are what we call scones, so now I understand.

Over here we have Cornish cream tea which is scones (your biscuits) smothered with strawberry jam and topped with Cornish clotted cream. The yummiest way to eat scones in the whole world.

I’m really looking forward to trying biscuits & sausages when we come to WDW. Only 8 months to go!!

Suggestion from a born-bred-Southern-girl who can make biscuits...

the biscuits and gravy at Disney World aren't horrid, but they certainly aren't "good" (although we have a friend from Alabama who swears that the biscuits and gravy at Port Orleans French Quarter are the best ever)...

the two best chains for biscuits are Hardee's and Bojangle's
the biscuits from McDonalds are too chewy
both Hardee's and Bojangle's make their's fresh by hand (most other places, including Disney World I'm guessing, use frozen biscuits)

and the true southern treat = biscuit w/ sausage & grape jelly (though not to my taste)

and by the way, although they aren't traditional, the cinnamon raisin biscuits at Hardee's and the Bo-berry (blueberry) biscuits from Bojangle's are both great for the "dessert" course :)

EG

Suggestion from a born-bred-Southern-girl who can make biscuits...

the biscuits and gravy at Disney World aren't horrid, but they certainly aren't "good" (although we have a friend from Alabama who swears that the biscuits and gravy at Port Orleans French Quarter are the best ever)...
EG

Another southerner here who couldn't agree more (although I do place DW biscuits pretty close to horrid ;) ). I had forgotten about the biscuits and gravy at POFQ--they were pretty good, actually. "The best ever?" Ummm-no.

Another southerner here who couldn't agree more (although I do place DW biscuits pretty close to horrid ;) ). I had forgotten about the biscuits and gravy at POFQ--they were pretty good, actually. "The best ever?" Ummm-no.

The best ever --
homemade biscuits made w/ lard, buttermilk, and self-rising flour (and for goodness' sake, don't overcook them!)
Jesse Jones sausage, scrambled & then make brown pan gravy w/ the sausage tossed back in
split biscuit
top with eggs sunny side up
smother in sausage gravy
dessert -- another biscuit, make a hole in the side w/ your finger (think jelly donut), add butter, after it melts, pour cane syrup in and eat

EG

Hardees makes really good biscuits for fast food!!!

I prefer mine as a chicken biscuit or with jam/jelly and butter on it!

I am so not into gravy on my biscuits. And yes, I am a southern girl, who loves country/old ham, grits, and collards!

Not quite. Biscuits are fluffier than the average scone. Scones are more like a shortbread, containing more butter or shortening than a biscuit. IIRC, scones contain more sugar as well. But there is a wide variety in both scones and biscuits. Clotted cream does not work well on biscuits. It just doesn't. I've tried.:crazy2:

a cookie is a biscuit here in england

i do like american biscuits though although never really sure what u r supposed to eat them with

Biscuits are so good. Just don't confuse them with dog biscuits! :thumbsup2

Where in NY and when? I have lived in New York, Queens and Nassau county, all my life (50+ years :scared1:) and have never heard a cookie referred to as a biscuit. :confused3

I'm in NY, and the only biscuits that are cookie shaped are the ones I feed my dog.;)

Oooh, a sausage smoothie - I know what's for dinner tonight! We'll have gravy on it :rotfl:

Gosh, I hope we are never stationed in the South. I think I'd blow up like a balloon with "your" food. :rotfl:

"would you like gravy with that?"
"umm, can I get a salad?" (at the chester fried chicken)

I also think comparing a true southern biscuit to a scone is a bad comparison. Biscuits are (or should be) much fluffier and lighter - more air inside them, like a muffin, but not as sweet and in a different shape. When you cut or break open a biscuit, pieces of it should fall off and crumble because it is so light and fluffy.

The only thing that holds a biscuit together should be love. :lovestruc

(This is why grandma's biscuits are always the best - no matter who your grandma may be or what you call her by...) ::yes::

I'm more a fan of jelly or honey on my biscuits - I have a sweet tooth!. Then there is always maple syrup, or Karo. Yummy! :love:

Now the real question is: do you just pour the gravy over the biscuit, or, do you properly break the biscuit in half and pour it on both sides?

As for me and my house, we break in half.

Just like sloppy joes, you break your biscuit in half and cover it with that good ole gravy, and then you take a second bicuit to slop up all the gravy that slid off the biscuit.

Suzanne

you guys are killing me!!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl: I agree; scones are in a different category than biscuits. Scones are heavier, or more dense than a biscuit. Biscuits should be light, fluffy served with dripping butter, and jam. (or gravy!) Real biscuits are not the "poppin' fresh" kind from the freezer. We're talking homemade miracles that are rolled out, and cut with a biscuit-cutter, and lovingly placed on a cookie sheet and baked. Oh, man, I'm hungry now...

The best ever --
homemade biscuits made w/ lard, buttermilk, and self-rising flour (and for goodness' sake, don't overcook them!)
Jesse Jones sausage, scrambled & then make brown pan gravy w/ the sausage tossed back in
split biscuit
top with eggs sunny side up
smother in sausage gravy
dessert -- another biscuit, make a hole in the side w/ your finger (think jelly donut), add butter, after it melts, pour cane syrup in and eat

EG

Lard used to make everything better! My cousins and I finally figured out that was why everything our grandmother made was so delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter