• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What if...COVID

I am not sure how driving would be safer in your situation especially if you are considering spending overnight in a hotel. I think I would prefer a 90 minute flight

My point was that RIGHT NOW our country is experiencing a massive surge in cases and hospitals in most places are full. I would have traveled to WDW a few months ago. I wouldn't even think of going right now.

I just got back two weeks ago from my most recent trip. I did not feel less safe than I did on my August trip. But this is definitely an individual decision. If you don’t feel safe going right now, that is fine. There are a lot of things to consider and they won’t be the same for any two people. A single young person working from home alone is probably going to make different decisions than a person who has high risk people living in their household.

This isn't a good comparison.

I disagree. There are a couple different “don’t go out” groups I have come across. One group says we shouldn’t be going out anywhere, even the grocery. We should be doing all of our buying online and only going out for a medical emergency. The other group is OK with going out for life necessities like food, but not OK with going out to malls or dine in restaurants, etc. So when someone comments that we should be staying home, it’s important to know which group they identify with to understand their point of view. I don’t want to assume a person feels one way when they actually feel another. Neither point of view is wrong so long as everyone obeys the mandates in their area.

My point was that RIGHT NOW our country is experiencing a massive surge in cases and hospitals in most places are full. I would have traveled to WDW a few months ago. I wouldn't even think of going right now.

Especially with this more contagious strain possibly appearing at any time. I mentioned in another post that two families I know went down earlier in the month came back, and now have Covid ...sure, they could have gotten it anywhere. Who knows? My friend lost his perfectly healthy father last weekend, and have other friends who had severity of symptoms all across the board. The good thing for Florida is people who do get exposed get to go home ....then it becomes their State’s problem!

I disagree. There are a couple different “don’t go out” groups I have come across. One group says we shouldn’t be going out anywhere, even the grocery. We should be doing all of our buying online and only going out for a medical emergency. The other group is OK with going out for life necessities like food, but not OK with going out to malls or dine in restaurants, etc. So when someone comments that we should be staying home, it’s important to know which group they identify with to understand their point of view. I don’t want to assume a person feels one way when they actually feel another. Neither point of view is wrong so long as everyone obeys the mandates in their area.
I'm not sure why any of this matters in the context of this thread or the post I was referring to. Going to a grocery store is 10 steps closer to the "necessity" end of the scale than vacation travel so regardless of where they stand on that, it's way before "fly to WDW." It's a diversion tactic and nothing more.

I know it's up to each family to decide how safe it will be for them.

Here is why I agree with @DLgal . We were going to go last May and had to cancel. Had a standing reservation for Nov. 1-6 ( go every year for F&W ) at AKL, had to change resorts and ended up at YC. Because of the change we decided to only do Epcot for our stay. Did not want to take Disney transportation at all, no rides, and did not want to Uber to DS even though we drove. We enjoyed our time but the capacity was 25%. After reading the paper about crowds and how our cases are going up, I am so glad we are not there now. I don't like going to the grocery store here ( FL ). DD is a FL teacher and has been quarantining since school let out so she can be with us this weekend.

OP, whatever you decide, read up on Disney website and stay informed. If you come to FL I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

Reactions: GAN
I am not sure how driving would be safer in your situation especially if you are considering spending overnight in a hotel. I think I would prefer a 90 minute flight
Because, like I mentioned, they are only a 9 hour drive away, so there really is no need to stop overnight, and your not surrounded by a bunch of other people like you are in an airplane, no matter how good a planes air filtration is, it's still a bigger risk. Also, just because a flight is only 90 minutes, you still have to add the 2 hours (each way) that you need to be at the airport before the flights, so realistically, they would only save a few hours.
BTW, I have no issues going grocery shopping etc. because I wear my mask and I can normally control that situation and keep a distance from other people. In airplanes, you cannot.

Because, like I mentioned, they are only a 9 hour drive away, so there really is no need to stop overnight, and your not surrounded by a bunch of other people like you are in an airplane, no matter how good a planes air filtration is, it's still a bigger risk. Also, just because a flight is only 90 minutes, you still have to add the 2 hours (each way) that you need to be at the airport before the flights, so realistically, they would only save a few hours.
BTW, I have no issues going grocery shopping etc. because I wear my mask and I can normally control that situation and keep a distance from other people. In airplanes, you cannot.
I think a car is safer no matter what.
It's not just the airplane but the airport, the line through security, monorail, all that stuff.

It really depends though. Right now flying is cheaper than the cost of gas to get down there, wear and tear on the car and depending on distance you have to add in lodging unless you are gonna sleep at the rest area with the migrant workers (one who pulled out a piece of cardboard and slept on the sidewalk! It was hot that night)

We were supposed to go on 12/18. We canceled. I would not have enjoyed myself worrying about staying 6ft away from everyone (which is probably impossible to do). We rebooked for summer. I'm hopeful that we will be vaccinated by then and will be comfortable going.

We were supposed to go on 12/18. We canceled. I would not have enjoyed myself worrying about staying 6ft away from everyone (which is probably impossible to do). We rebooked for summer. I'm hopeful that we will be vaccinated by then and will be comfortable going.

I just resort hopped. Wasn't a good value to go into the parks when they were crowded and you can't park hop. People were pretty good with mask but to me it defeats the purpose when you see a restaurant with no walls inside the resorts next to the lobby and everybody is eating and has there mask off.

I really don't get lets keep the mask on all the time but then when we eat everyone will take masks off all at once and open their mouths.

If the drive was only 9 hours, I would definitely drive just to give myself the flexibility of not having to rely on Disney transportation during a pandemic and being able to get home in my own car should I fall ill. Since it would only be a 9 hour drive home I would consider myself and family still quarantined and isolated.

Good luck OP! I think it's a good thing that you are thinking about all the possibilities so you will have a plan in place.

I really don't get lets keep the mask on all the time but then when we eat everyone will take masks off all at once and open their mouths.

It doesn't make sense. And that is why some states have closed sit down restaurants.

I was there for 8 days last week. My husband and I had COVID in the spring and my DD had it 14 days before we left! I was really worried my DS would get it. We talked a lot as a family about cancelling but decided to go. We did fly and rented a car too. I was stressed the whole trip but am glad to have gone. Our contingency plan was to drive home if needed. I think it helps to talk about the what if’s before you go

You bring up a really good point. People traveling who become sick will need somewhere to go. Driving while symptomatic isn't advisable, yet lodging providers don't want any Covid positive people onsite. So what's a Covid positive person far from home to do?

You bring up a really good point. People traveling who become sick will need somewhere to go. Driving while symptomatic isn't advisable, yet lodging providers don't want any Covid positive people onsite. So what's a Covid positive person far from home to do?
They can hope that someone else can drive or they end up hunkered down until they feel better. It could be a pretty expensive proposition.

They can hope that someone else can drive or they end up hunkered down until they feel better. It could be a pretty expensive proposition.
But hunkered down where, if they're honest and then the hotel throws them out?

Have you heard of Disney throwing out COVID positive guests?
No, but it's certainly a possibility. Most Disney guests with Covid probably don't know they have it, and the few who do probably wouldn't tell Disney about it if they needed a place to stay, so it's not like a lot of people's experiences with testing positive for Covid while at Disney have been reported.

I do have a very hard time imagining Disney (or any hotelier) knowingly allowing Covid positive people to stay at the resort. I also know that the Four Seasons temp checks all guests every time they enter the resort (even after a swim in the resort pool), and won't allow anyone with a fever inside. So the possibility of getting stuck without lodging is real, if you're honest about contracting Covid.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. We have been hunkered down for the last couple of weeks and were tested on Thursday. We have decided to continue with our trip and fly out tomorrow morning. We can’t wait! If anything does happen, we plan to try and get a one-way rental car to drive home.

No, but it's certainly a possibility. Most Disney guests with Covid probably don't know they have it, and if they do, probably wouldn't tell Disney if they wanted to be able to stay, so it's not like a lot of experience with testing positive for Covid while at Disney has been reported. I have a hard time imagining Disney being okay with Covid positive people using the resort facilities.

And referring to travel in general, I know that the Four Seasons temp checks all guests every time they enter the resort (even after a swim in the resort pool), and won't allow anyone with a fever inside. So the possibility of getting stuck without lodging is real.
There was a link posted previously that things are handled on a case by case basis by Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter