What if...COVID

RNicole1

Mouseketeer
My family will be going to WDW next weekend. We are flying, have 8 day park tickets, and are staying at Pop. None of us have had Covid, therefore we do not have any antibodies. With numbers on the rise and capacity raised to 35% during the busiest time of the year, I have been back and forth on my feelings about this trip.

My question is, does anyone know what happens if we start to have symptoms during our trip? With us being there for so many days it is certainly a concern. Since we are flying, we can’t just get in the car and drive home.

My family will be going to WDW next weekend. We are flying, have 8 day park tickets, and are staying at Pop. None of us have had Covid, therefore we do not have any antibodies. With numbers on the rise and capacity raised to 35% during the busiest time of the year, I have been back and forth on my feelings about this trip.

My question is, does anyone know what happens if we start to have symptoms during our trip? With us being there for so many days it is certainly a concern. Since we are flying, we can’t just get in the car and drive home.
Unfortunately you’re pretty much on your own if you do contract it while there. If Disney is made aware, they can ask you to vacate the resort. You could always rent a car and drive back home. It’s a hard situation to gauge what you would feel comfortable with. But Disney has more than covered the situation on their end by making you read and agree to their policies regarding the virus.

For one thing, what are the regulations about travel? Make sure you don't violate any laws

1. Can you get some sort of insurance? Not a US citizen so no idea, but my sister had to travel to the US for a very good reason, and made sure both she and her family had insurance which covered covid related expenses.

2. Covid is nasty and unpredictable. I wouldn't risk driving, both because it may affect your driving and because you may find yourself far from emergency help should you need it. Not to mention eating only in drive thoughs etc would complicate everything.
So I would cancel the flight, rent a local house / appartment as comfortable as possible, order everything and just hope you get through the next 2-3 weeks as easily as possible.

Sorry for being dramatic
Most people getting covid will either be asymptomatic or have minor symptoms. But for the 20-30% who get it bad...

If Disney is made aware,

Which they should be so that they can take the necessary contact tracing and notification precautions. Part of what happened with more than a few cruise ships is people either boarded knowing they were positive or tested positive after a cruise - but within the time that they would have been contagious and spreading on the ship - and failed to notify the cruiselines so that appropriate action (quarantining crew who had been in close contact, etc.) could be taken. There were ships that believed they were clean until people on sailings AFTER the one where infected people were were testing positive within days of disembarking and the "flu" that crew members had been sequestered in cabins was tested and turned out to be COVID.

Regardless of the possibility (probability?) of being asked to leave, if you develop symptoms, you should get tested AND report positive tests results to avoid needlessly exposing more people.

Should you start to have Covid symptoms while there you may have to check out since it is not a wait it out virus. At the parks they do temperature checks and also before entering restaurants at resorts, etc. If you or a family member has a fever you will be denied entry. You may be able to get a resort refund under those circumstances.

Honestly, if you have any concerns at all I would cancel. Also, since you are in AL I would drive, not fly.

Read on Disney website the "know before you go" section. If you develop symptoms, you need to notify Disney, so all protocols can be followed.

We spent 11 nights at POP. Flew Delta, wore our masks and washed hands (too many times to count). I felt safer in Disney then our local stores.

Only you can make a decision for your family!

Just back.......haven't had covid, high risk. I felt very safe there and enjoyed the visit.
Home 7 days now and no symptoms.
Just wear your mask, wash your hands and sanitize. All worked fine for us.
First time we have dined inside a restaurant since early March and it was very nice.

The guy who died on the UA flight was coming from MCO to go home to LAX. I don't know if they were Disney guests, but I guess they just wanted to get home. They obviously should have sought out medical care in FL or rented a car and try to get home that way. You might want to research your options for out of town medical care on your health insurance. FWIW, I went to Disney in November and did not get sick there or when I came back.

since it is not a wait it out virus.

What does that mean?

The guy who died on the UA flight was coming from MCO to go home to LAX. I don't know if they were Disney guests, but I guess they just wanted to get home. They obviously should have sought out medical care in FL or rented a car and try to get home that way. You might want to research your options for out of town medical care on your health insurance. FWIW, I went to Disney in November and did not get sick there or when I came back.

What does that mean?
I meant Covid is not like a cold or flu where you can just stay in your room if you start having symptoms.

We were there in Nov. and I quarantined at home for 7 days...just in case.

Does Anyone know what happens if you run a temperature while staying at a Disney resort.
Do they ask you to leave? , Where would you go if you flew in?
If they ask you to leave do they refund you?
Thanks

Last edited:
So drive there! You live in AL, why would you take an unnecessary risk by flying, when you're only a 9-11 hour drive away!

Our main reason is because we are using 8 day park tickets we purchased back in February for the trip we were supposed to have in May. If we drive, we lose two days to travel. With flying, we only have a 90 minute direct flight and can still be in the parks the same day.

Other reasons include enough frequent flyer miles to all 4 fly for free.

Our main reason is because we are using 8 day park tickets we purchased back in February for the trip we were supposed to have in May. If we drive, we lose two days to travel. With flying, we only have a 90 minute direct flight and can still be in the parks the same day.

Other reasons include enough frequent flyer miles to all 4 fly for free.
Those are "normal times" reasons, I do not think those are good reasons for these times. Your air miles aren't going anywhere and if you really wanted to err on the safe side, you would take 2 extra days to travel. FYI, I do not believe in not doing anything during these times, BUT I do believe in minimizing the risks as much as I can, and air travel is one of them. Either way, I hope you have a safe trip.

Cancel the trip. It's not worth the stress and aggravation and there is a decent chance you will come home with this virus. Now is not the time for unnecessary travel.
I have had three, week long trips to WDW since the reopening, and did not catch Covid, so I don’t agree there is a decent chance of catching it there. I think the chance is no worse there than anywhere else. I followed all the rules and quarantined before and after, and I did not fly. I have also had a couple trips to the beach during the same period, and did not get sick.

That being said, I agree with you that if the thought of traveling is stressful and aggravating, it’s probably better to postpone for a while. A vacation should be enjoyable, not make you anxious. Everyone has to make the decision based on their own risk tolerance and willingness to follow the rules. So long as you aren’t breaking the law, I will not judge your decision either way.

Airplanes have improved air filtration, much better than other modes of transportation. I felt very safe on my recent trip. People saying you should stay home, are they also saying don't go to grocery stores? Even if someone gets Covid, if they are under 65 and healthy an overwhelming percentage of them only have very mild symptoms that do not need medical attention. Enjoy your trip.

I have had three, week long trips to WDW since the reopening, and did not catch Covid, so I don’t agree there is a decent chance of catching it there. I think the chance is no worse there than anywhere else. I followed all the rules and quarantined before and after, and I did not fly. I have also had a couple trips to the beach during the same period, and did not get sick.

That being said, I agree with you that if the thought of traveling is stressful and aggravating, it’s probably better to postpone for a while. A vacation should be enjoyable, not make you anxious. Everyone has to make the decision based on their own risk tolerance and willingness to follow the rules. So long as you aren’t breaking the law, I will not judge your decision either way.

My point was that RIGHT NOW our country is experiencing a massive surge in cases and hospitals in most places are full. I would have traveled to WDW a few months ago. I wouldn't even think of going right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter