What has happened to Southwest's formerly good customer service

Donald Duck888

DIS Veteran
Ok I will start off by admitting this post is a bit of a venting for me but hey my vacation has not even started and it is not off to a good start thanks to Southwest.

We are due to leave for Disney tomorrow on Southwest with tickets i bought 6 months ago and both tickets both ways had early bird check in bought and paid for on them. I should have known there might be a problem when about 2 months back Southwest changed the flight time on out outbound flight and it changed for my ticket but not for my 8 year old daughter's. So i spent an hour on the phone fixing that(so i thought). At that point i thought all was good as everything including early bird showed up for her after the phone conversation.

So today i print out the boarding passes and I get A19 so I am really happy as my daughter is not so happy with flying so the sooner we get situated on the plane the better. But, then I print hers out and it is all the way at the end of the B's and not listed as early bird. So I figure (correctly) that something got messed up when Southwest changed the ticket time so I call. After about an hour on the phone again the woman tells me that evidently they neglected to put the early bird that i paid for back on my daughters ticket when they made the changes and there is nothing they can do unless I want to pay $200 to upgrade my 8 yr old daughter to business class and then she can board 1-15.

So i say to the woman "so basically you are telling me that someone on your end messed up and I am now going to have to pay the price for that?" She say yes there is nothing they can do. I say well why cant you put my daughter in the business select and I will then just have her board with me at A19 to which she says " oh we cant do that as we cant comp you something you never paid for in the first place". Really? well how about just giving me the spot she would have had if not for your company's error?

Just really frustrated as the whole reason I book early and pay for early bird is so as to avoid dealing having to board late, risk not being seated together etc. If she was older I wild just go on and then have her join me with her group but she is only 8. All I want is what I paid for and all they would have to do to make it happen is possibly(they might not even sell the upgrade) give up the upgrade money and let her board where I paid for her to be boarding in the first place.

I realize it is not the end of the world but it is not the way I wanted to start out vacation either.

Ok rant over:headache:

Thanks bumber I think i will give that a try. Also i think i will approach the gate attendant early on to see if they will let her board with me based the circumstances.

They told me that i can request one after the fact but if they issued one now it would cancel her ticket out.

The person at the counter or at the gate should see the record that you paid for it. They will probably resolve it.

Simple issue is for SW reservations to enter a record in the reservation that will instruct the gate crew to allow her to board with you despite the number on her boarding pass. Too late to issue a revised boarding number, as the numbers have already been assigned to others. They'd just have to handle it manually at the time of boarding.

Simple issue is for SW reservations to enter a record in the reservation that will instruct the gate crew to allow her to board with you despite the number on her boarding pass. Too late to issue a revised boarding number, as the numbers have already been assigned to others. They'd just have to handle it manually at the time of boarding.

Thanks cigar that is what i am hoping for.

YOu should be able to resolve this at the gate. But if everything goes wrong! You can upgrade your daughters boarding pass at the gate for $20.00 dollars. (that is if there is space available between A1-A15) which there always is! or you can try boarding during family boarding. Please let us know how this turns out.

A similar thing happened to us on Southwest a few years ago. At the airport I went up the the southwest customer service gate and explained the problem. I had paid for early bird check in for everyone, but the flight number changed and somehow my 10 year olds EBCI didn't transfer to the new ticket, giving him a C number boarding slot.
They were very nice and then my 10 year old chirps up. "She'll be okay if I don't get to sit with her". They laughed and put a note in the computer that his EBCI fee should be refunded and told the gate agent to let him board with me anyway.

YOu should be able to resolve this at the gate. But if everything goes wrong! You can upgrade your daughters boarding pass at the gate for $20.00 dollars. (that is if there is space available between A1-A15) which there always is! or you can try boarding during family boarding. Please let us know how this turns out.

I am truly hoping they can resolve at gate. Good idea about the upgrade it is one of my thoughts actually. I actually tried that on phone but they wanted $200 to do it today as they said it is only available at $40 if there is still space on day of flight. I used to sing the praises of SW all the time but this is really changing my point of view. I only want what i paid for and their error messed up and they cant seem to do anything at all for me. Hopefully the gate will be different.

A similar thing happened to us on Southwest a few years ago. At the airport I went up the the southwest customer service gate and explained the problem. I had paid for early bird check in for everyone, but the flight number changed and somehow my 10 year olds EBCI didn't transfer to the new ticket, giving him a C number boarding slot.
They were very nice and then my 10 year old chirps up. "She'll be okay if I don't get to sit with her". They laughed and put a note in the computer that his EBCI fee should be refunded and told the gate agent to let him board with me anyway.

I am hoping that will be the case. in fact i have actually thought of asking the gate attendant as well if i do not get anywhere with the desk.

i would be ticked too. But try not to even worry about it right now. I'm sure you have enough to do. Deal with it at the gate and have a great trip! :) Report back when you get a chance though.

i would be ticked too. But try not to even worry about it right now. I'm sure you have enough to do. Deal with it at the gate and have a great trip! :) Report back when you get a chance though.

Thankfully i am a type A planner so all is pretty much laid out and ready to go lol. Thats why this Southwest thing upsets me so much as I had everything planned so well and now through no fault of my own my outbound flight is possibly messed up. My daughter will not deal well with if we end up boarding to late to sit together.

Thankfully i am a type A planner so all is pretty much laid out and ready to go lol. Thats why this Southwest thing upsets me so much as I had everything planned so well and now through no fault of my own my outbound flight is possibly messed up. My daughter will not deal well with if we end up boarding to late to sit together.
If you have the time right now, maybe call them back. A different agent might be able to help you or offer you a better solution. Good luck!

If you have the time right now, maybe call them back. A different agent might be able to help you or offer you a better solution. Good luck!

I actually did call them twice and the second agent was less helpful than the first. She actually said to me when i asked if they could just put my daughter in the business select and then she would board with me at A19 that they cant comp me something that i didn't pay for. I was not looking for something i didn't pay for just looking for something that i did pay for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter