• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What else to do on Oahu?

czmom

DIS Veteran
I see several posts about staying a couple nights at Waikiki at the beginning of your trip. I love this idea as we already have minimal points for Aulani.

What all is suggested to do on the island before Aulani?

For us, we're traveling from the East Coast so we are spending our first 3 nights in Waikiki. While there, we will do Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head, as these places are best done in the morning and we expect to be up early while still adjusting to the time change. We're also doing the Swap Meet. Also in that vicinity is Hanauma Bay which is great for snorkeling. We're doing this part of our trip without a car, and utilizing tour companies for Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor. We didn't want to hassle with traffic and parking concerns/costs in Waikiki, so we're not getting a car until we go to Aulani. We'll also do some shopping and check out the beach, so it saves us a trip down to Waikiki while we're at Aulani as well.

We'll do the Dole Plantation, North Shore, and Kualoa Ranch during our time at Aulani when we have a car.

You should look into the Go Oahu Card. We used one this past March and saved ourselves a bundle. You can pick how many days you want. We really enjoyed the bus tour of All of Oahu in One Day. It was a 10 hour bus tour of all over the island and you get off in many different places. We didn't even realize it was 10 hours. We also did the Makani Catermeran and saw whales, went to Pearl Harbor, went to a Luau (not my thing, and did not enjoy), went to the Polynesian Cultural Center (again, not my thing, I found it boring). Or you could just relax on the beach or go shopping at the outdoor mall. I should mention that the bus tour takes you to several places that are separate excursions like the Dole Plantation and a macadamia nut place.

Been to Oahu many times our favs include, Kailua Beach, North Shore snorkeling at Sharks Cove, hiking at Makapu‘u Point (free), the mall at Ala Moana is fantastic, Waikiki is so much for people watching (the mai tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian is amazing as is Rumfire at the Sheraton), visiting the USS Missouri, Hanauma Bay has great snorkeling (closed on Tuesdays), and its touristy but fun the Dole Plantation.

We always stay in Waikiki before our Aulani stay. We rent a condo through VRBO and they usually have free parking included. There is so much to see and do on the east/north/central side of the island that we usually do that during our Waikiki stay in the mornings and then relax at the beach in the afternoons. We also did a whale watch this time.

Coming from the east coast, we are planning on staying in the Waikiki area for 3-4 days before moving to Aulani next spring. We have never used VRBO and just wondering if linens are included and who cleans the condo's between visits? I like the idea of free parking!

You should look into the Go Oahu Card. We used one this past March and saved ourselves a bundle. You can pick how many days you want. We really enjoyed the bus tour of All of Oahu in One Day. It was a 10 hour bus tour of all over the island and you get off in many different places. We didn't even realize it was 10 hours. We also did the Makani Catermeran and saw whales, went to Pearl Harbor, went to a Luau (not my thing, and did not enjoy), went to the Polynesian Cultural Center (again, not my thing, I found it boring). Or you could just relax on the beach or go shopping at the outdoor mall. I should mention that the bus tour takes you to several places that are separate excursions like the Dole Plantation and a macadamia nut place.

Was the All of Oahu tour good? My fiance and I bought the Go Oahu Card for our honeymoon (68 days to go!) and that was one of the things I booked. What was the best thing you saw on the tour, in your opinion? Thanks!

I've lived here since the summer of last year. I haven't even scratched the surface on things to do. Hikes, beaches, tours, snorkeling, diving, boatrides, fishing. on and on and on.

I see several posts about staying a couple nights at Waikiki at the beginning of your trip. I love this idea as we already have minimal points for Aulani.

I highly recommend the MaiTai Catamaran Sail available on Groupon.com that leaves from behind the Waikiki Sheraton.

Take a day and just enjoy the beach at Waikiki. It's incredibly beautiful. Easy swimming water as well.

We are staying two nights in Waikiki then a week at Aulani. Some people don't like Waikiki but I love it there. There is so much to do, tons of food options and everything is within walking distance.

Outside of Waikiki, one of my favorite things I've done was kayaking at Kailua Beach to some islands called "The Moks".

I also like driving up to the North Shore to eat at the shrimp trucks, snorkel Sharks Cove and stopping by Matsumotos for shaved ice.

We are staying two nights in Waikiki then a week at Aulani. Some people don't like Waikiki but I love it there. There is so much to do, tons of food options and everything is within walking distance.

Outside of Waikiki, one of my favorite things I've done was kayaking at Kailua Beach to some islands called "The Moks".

I also like driving up to the North Shore to eat at the shrimp trucks, snorkel Sharks Cove and stopping by Matsumotos for shaved ice.

How long is the drive from Waikiki to the North Shore?

Thanks everyone! We are in the early planning stages of our trip, but it looks like 3 nights in Waikiki followed by 5 nights at Aulani will be good :)

Coming from the east coast, we are planning on staying in the Waikiki area for 3-4 days before moving to Aulani next spring. We have never used VRBO and just wondering if linens are included and who cleans the condo's between visits? I like the idea of free parking!

Linens have always been included in the VRBO properties we have rented in Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Cleaning is an additional fee. We were asked to strip the linens off the bed and put them in the laundry basket along with the towels we used before check-out. We also took out our garbage and placed it in the chute down the hall. The last place we rented was in the Waikiki banyan and the owner was very nice to deal with. Property was just 1 1/2 blocks back from the beach in a very safe area.

How long is the drive from Waikiki to the North Shore?
the north shore is a big place, so it depends on where you're going. But say you go from the middle of Waikiki to Haleiwa - it could take you 45 min. It could take you 3 hours.

I've lived here since the summer of last year. I haven't even scratched the surface on things to do. Hikes, beaches, tours, snorkeling, diving, boatrides, fishing. on and on and on.

I lived on Oahu for 3 years, and also didn't scratch the surface! Of course I was busy becoming a mom there too (my son was born there halfway through my husband's tour in the Marines).

We now go back every other year (own at Marriott Ko Olina), and a few years back, I booked the kids and I to do the Atlantis submarine that goes from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was really fun!

We used to sometimes stay in Waikiki either before or after Ko Olina, but now we try to just do the condo if we can.

We like to go eat at old places that we used to go to - in Kailua we used to always eat at Willow Tree Korean restaurant (my husband is Korean, born there), so we went back a couple times years later! Fun and such good food.

My daughter loves the flea market (swap meet). She wears her tee shirts to sleep in all the time.

I used to take visitors to Pearl Harbor, but have been so many times that I would bring a book & just sit and relax LOL. Definitely you can't visit Oahu and not go there.

I'm not into shopping so really don't go to Ala Moana mall, but if we do go we eat at Shirokiya!

I agree about ramen places in Waikiki - my husband LOVES that stuff! Also any of the Korean eateries are usually really good - the more hole in the wall the better!

For someone first visiting, I do think it's fun to stay in Waikiki for at least 2 nights, then go over to Ko Olina - you will see the difference. It's so relaxing that often my husband doesn't want to leave once we get there. I take the kids around sightseeing, and he stays and enjoys the resort. I remember when it was just one hotel - we would go over from Kailua for dinner & drinks and it was so peaceful, like going to a neighbor island. It's still so much nicer than Waikiki to me!

If anyone in your party is interested, the Waikiki aquarium is cool. It's small and cute, and my daughter who loves animals liked it! Husband and son, not so much! Can't please everyone!

The flea market is a great place to get cheap souvenirs. Kualoa Ranch is great. Hanauma Bay is good but CROWDED even if you get there super early. Get malasadas at Leonard's. Stop at the Dole Plantation for Dole Whips (don't bother with the rest of the plantation) on your way up to Haleiwa. Don't go to Laniakea Beach for sea turtles, go to Papailoa (like half a mile west, way less crowded). Do the luau and show at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Eat at Dukes, make a reservation 2 weeks in advance to get an outside table
Waikiki is very easy to surf, take surf lessons. Do not try on your own, take the lessons
Outrigger canoe ride. $15 best activity in Hawaii alohabeachservices.com
Sunset or day catamaran sail leahi.com
Hike up Diamondhead
The beach Bar at Moana has very good afternoon music, Get a Mai Tai and enjoy the best bar on earth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter