• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do YOU want for Christmas?

I haven't figured out which bag I want yet, but I usually get a new Vera Bradley. I'm intrigued because the newest bags allow you to charge your phone or ipad in your bag...

I also usually get the train case gift from lancome. It's a great value and I feel like I'm getting a big treat since I will use virtually everything in it.

I always ask for new earrings, my dh seems to just know what will suit me well that I would never choose for myself.

After that it gets dicey -- I've learned if I really want something to go ahead and get it. My dh shops late...in reality we do buy what we need when we need it. Without having a small child anymore, Christmas is less about the presents and more about appreciating time with family. Don't get me wrong, I am always up for being surprised with a great gift! I think that's my problem -- I really prefer the "surprise" part, no matter how small the gift ;)

Maria :upsidedow

I really want a trip. We used to travel all the time but my DH's sales have gone way down in the past year and a half so we've cut our traveling by a lot. I used to take the kids to Orlando at least once or twice a year alone for short trips and then we'd do one or two big family trips to other desinations during the year. I'm hoping to go somewhere for April vacation especially since my oldest DD just tarted high school and I feel like our family vacations are slowly coming to an end. I wish my kids would be happy with just a couple small gifts and then we could spend the rest of our budget on a family trip.

I actually bought my big gift today (my other desired gift other than bubble bath). I'm taking the fam for the 1st time ever to see Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Christmas Town. I'm a sucker for Christmas lights and they have the most in North America (even beats Orlando). This was my combined birthday/Xmas gift, since we added on a small hotel stay (we got 2 days worth of tickets, so I can see all 6 shows without rushing - I'm also a sucker for shows). I've always said I wanted to see a theme park at Xmas and I've never done it yet...so now I am. Bucket list item getting crossed off this year:). I am very excited (and yes, I'm sharing the gift with my family, but that's also a big gift for me - having a happy family:))...

I actually bought my big gift today (my other desired gift other than bubble bath). I'm taking the fam for the 1st time ever to see Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Christmas Town. I'm a sucker for Christmas lights and they have the most in North America (even beats Orlando). This was my combined birthday/Xmas gift, since we added on a small hotel stay (we got 2 days worth of tickets, so I can see all 6 shows without rushing - I'm also a sucker for shows). I've always said I wanted to see a theme park at Xmas and I've never done it yet...so now I am. Bucket list item getting crossed off this year:). I am very excited (and yes, I'm sharing the gift with my family, but that's also a big gift for me - having a happy family:))...
I bought my tickets today too:) I take my kids and my sister every year. It puts me in the Christmas mood. The decorations are beautiful!

If it were up to me, I'd rather not be given gifts at all and just share a meal (I value quality time over objects, but that's my love language) but for people for whom it's really important, here are some things that would make me happy:

- an Amazon gift card to buy myself some books, or I can hand them a list of books I want if they'd rather give me a present
- jewelry or a gift card to buy some
- a Paperblanks journal
- a scented candle
- motivational shirts for running
- a Spotify subscription or an Audible credit
- warm socks
- framed pictures of my loved ones
- perfume
- a massage

There are a lot more things that I want, but I'd rather buy them for myself.

I am not trying to attack anyone I am truly just curious for the people that want kitchen appliances do you really consider this a gift for yourself? I know that if DH would ever come up with something like that he better have the receipt and a big apology. I don't consider things for the house a gift for me.

I would love it. A gift is a gift, in my eyes. When I was pregnant with my second kid, I CRAVED McD's egg mcmuffins. For Christmas that year I got, from DH, an all in one- toaster/egg poacher. I loved it.

I really don't like getting gifts, I love giving them but I don't really like getting them.

This year I have asked for Disney GCs. I hope my mother listens to me. Usually she gets me tons of gifts that I really don't need or want. Like expensive purses. I swear my mom shops for herself and just gets me the same thing. Although last year she gave me an instant pot and that was an awesome gift that I didn't even realize I wanted.

My husband is under strict orders to not get me anything. We are going to Disney in February and I that is gift enough. He works hard throughout the year and I am able to get anything I want or need. Except for chocolate, I'll always take some chocolate.

I am not trying to attack anyone I am truly just curious for the people that want kitchen appliances do you really consider this a gift for yourself? I know that if DH would ever come up with something like that he better have the receipt and a big apology. I don't consider things for the house a gift for me.

I usually don't ask for stuff and I really don't like people getting me stuff. I'd rather my kids get what they want rather than money being wasted on me.
I do 95% of the cooking and if I feel the need to ask for something, it's usually kitchen or household related. i would really love a new lens for my camera or quality jewelry, but i dont ask for those because it will never happen. so kitchen stuff it is. last year I got weather tech floor mats for my new van. not a glamorous gift, but it was a want/need

I don't understand people that expect their spouse to sleep on the couch /apologize/hand over a receipt because they didn't like what they got.

I bought my tickets today too:) I take my kids and my sister every year. It puts me in the Christmas mood. The decorations are beautiful!

I've been thinking about going this year as well! I've never been before but have heard great things. Anyone seen any discounts or groupon deals?

I've been thinking about going this year as well! I've never been before but have heard great things. Anyone seen any discounts or groupon deals?
They have an offer now that if you buy ahead they are discounted. They go up in price for busier days and as they sell more tickets. I got my tickets for the Sunday after thanksgiving for $16 each. It's such a fun experience although last year it was too crowded for my tastes (Monday before Christmas).

https://seaworldparks.com/en/buschg...pJobID=1040048110&spReportId=MTA0MDA0ODExMAS2

Oh wow, that's not bad at all. Whatever I was looking at before must have just shown me the Fun Card price. $16 isn't bad at all, even if it goes up a few dollars if we wait to buy!

We no longer exchange gifts and give gift cards to the younger nieces and nephews. We are fortunate enough to be that couple that if we want something we just get it ourselves so there really isn't anything we want or need. We tell our family if they feel they have to get something, to donate to a charity in our name.

I usually don't ask for stuff and I really don't like people getting me stuff. I'd rather my kids get what they want rather than money being wasted on me.
I do 95% of the cooking and if I feel the need to ask for something, it's usually kitchen or household related. i would really love a new lens for my camera or quality jewelry, but i dont ask for those because it will never happen. so kitchen stuff it is. last year I got weather tech floor mats for my new van. not a glamorous gift, but it was a want/need

I don't understand people that expect their spouse to sleep on the couch /apologize/hand over a receipt because they didn't like what they got.

I totally get that you would want you kids to get what they want I think most mothers would choose that if they needed to. I do not however see why would you consider money will be "wasted" on you. I think everyone deserves to get something for themselves once in a while. Why couldn't you ask for gift cards to eventually get those lenses or jewelry you want?

I also do about 90% of the cooking as I stay home. But I do not feel that getting stuff for the house/kitchen would be consider a gift for me. Because that is something for the good of the household therefore not a gift for me. I usually see a disconnect between what it is acceptable for one spouse and not for the other would you DH would be ok if you got him a kitchen appliance or something for the household? To me giving any household goods unless I really enjoy cooking(which I don't hate but not love) Gifts should be something that makes a person feel special something thoughtful something that gives joy to that person. To me a household good says here it is for you to work and for all of us to enjoy. Something that benefits a chore.

It is not that we would expect a receipt / apology, etc because we didn't like what we got. I would be truly insulted if while I got him a new set of golf clubs I get a freaking vacuum! Anything that it is a we thing it is just not a me gift. We both enjoy to eat, we like a clean house, we cook, we need clean laundry. Yes he would have to apologize because I would hope that DH knows me better than that and I would want the gift to be something thoughtful and special for me. Now if for example he got me a book/purse, etc that I just didn't like I wouldn't expect him to apologize I would be happy that he put the effort (I would still exchange it though). Thankfully DH doesn't/never has consider household goods gifts. It is not about the material things DH got my mom, sister and sister fiancé to come for my birthday for a surprise party this year. It was so amazing to get to see my family.

As long as gifts are thoughtful and take into consideration what the recipient wants/needs/values/treasures then that's the key for me! My ex husband would always buy me things either he wanted me to have or (probably) what his secretary recommended. One was a bicycle (which I've ridden twice in 12 years or so-my DD used it until she got too tall!) and the most infamous was a Kitchen Aid stand mixer---a wonderful gift for many, just not me :) So in subsequent years, when my significant other bought me luggage (and apparently my face fell), we called the large piece "the blender." Unlike the blender, however, I used the "blender" luggage until it wore out. So while it wasn't what I'd hoped for...it was very practical, used a lot, and had a funny nickname :)

My father has said that the key to keeping my mother happy with gifts for the past 47 years is "no cords." That's been his success...but again, that might not work for you. Vive la difference!

I wonder if the difference between those of us who are okay with getting household items and those that are not has anything to do with age/time married? We've been together going on 28 years and I have plenty of "me" stuff. Jewelry, bless him, he leans toward gaudy and I like more of a refined, simple look. He's hit it out of the ballpark twice, simple 1/3K studs of great quality and my Bulova watch. The rest, just too big and my favorites are the ones we've gone and picked out together. I wear it a few times a year, anymore would be a waste. Clothes? Absolutely not, that could go so bad, lol. He bought me a beautiful leather jacket our first Christmas together, spent too much on it and it is NOT my taste at all. Camera lenses? I could specify what I want but he's going to see what he perceives as better, longer reach at a better price where what I'm looking for is light gathering capabilities and compression quality. This is why we've moved to the one big gift for the year that we pick out on our own. Kitchen gadgets benefit *me.* I have the things I need to put out a good meal but if there's a cooler way to do it? Bring it!

I wonder if the difference between those of us who are okay with getting household items and those that are not has anything to do with age/time married? We've been together going on 28 years and I have plenty of "me" stuff. Jewelry, bless him, he leans toward gaudy and I like more of a refined, simple look. He's hit it out of the ballpark twice, simple 1/3K studs of great quality and my Bulova watch. The rest, just too big and my favorites are the ones we've gone and picked out together. I wear it a few times a year, anymore would be a waste. Clothes? Absolutely not, that could go so bad, lol. He bought me a beautiful leather jacket our first Christmas together, spent too much on it and it is NOT my taste at all. Camera lenses? I could specify what I want but he's going to see what he perceives as better, longer reach at a better price where what I'm looking for is light gathering capabilities and compression quality. This is why we've moved to the one big gift for the year that we pick out on our own. Kitchen gadgets benefit *me.* I have the things I need to put out a good meal but if there's a cooler way to do it? Bring it!

I don't think how long you been married has anything to do with it we been married 8 years but my grandparents have been married over 60 I know my grandma would not consider any appliances a gift and she likes to cook. my step dad loves to cook and he would ask for kitchen gadgets, but because cooking was his hobby and not a family thing.

I've gotten kitchen/household items and never thought of that being a negative thing. One year for our anniversary I had DH get me the large skillet that matched out pots/pans set. It was exactly what I wanted.

This year, my mom is going to get us a new computer. I'm not sure what I will ask DH for. We are going to Disney next week, so I might get a new Dooney and call that his Christmas gift. He does a really good job of picking things out, he just isn't a bargain shopper like me and I about die when I see the credit card bills for what he spent.

I don't think how long you been married has anything to do with it we been married 8 years but my grandparents have been married over 60 I know my grandma would not consider any appliances a gift and she likes to cook. my step dad loves to cook and he would ask for kitchen gadgets, but because cooking was his hobby and not a family thing.

For me, even though cooking is a family thing, it is also a hobby. I watch cooking shows, I'm always on the hunt for new recipes and my family are the guinea pigs. I love seeing what new products are out there.
I'm a SAHM, so I do the lion's share of the household chores. If there are things that make that easier for me I don't have an issue with getting those kinds of gifts. I have asked for things in the past, and have also been surprised by things.
People don't hesitate to give teachers, or people in any other profession, things as gifts that make their job easier. I know I've given dh things through the years that are work related, or household related things like tools. It always seems that when a wife gets a gift like that there is some negative connotation associated with it (by others).

I think for me, if its a gift that shows some thoughtfulness then that is what matters whether you like getting household stuff, jewelry, clothes etc.

To the pp who said they couldn't understand people making their dh sleep on the couch for giving a bad gift, I was only kidding. :) Trust me, I've gotten some bad ones from him in the past, we just joke about them.

I admit - if my husband spent a ton of money on jewelry for me, I wouldn't be ecstatic. Save my engagement/wedding rings, I find no value in it and wear nothing. Same for makeup - I don't use it. Same for fancy purses and high fashion stuff - I don't use it (I literally have a $500 high end wallet given to me by my brother who works in the fashion industry and got it free and it sits unused - the $500 free boots he got me the year before went to my daughter this year b/c my wide feet would have died of discomfort - in fact, I now tell him if he has free samples, just gift them to my girls and he can be the best uncle ever:)...If my husband actually bought any of this stuff, I would probably get upset at the money literally wasted b/c I know none of it is cheap and I would never use any of it:).

I think we all value different things...I value comfort, happiness of everyone around me, and seeing/doing new things. So, gifts in those realms make me happy...they show thought and understanding of me on his and the kids' part. The year he got me a $200 gift certificate to the fancy French place here so we could have a date (and I wouldn't worry about the money spent) was the best gift he ever got me. Saying yes to the Christmas tickets this year is his 2nd one:)...and when he started buying me the year's supply of aromatherapy bubble bath (and then dealing with kids while I take baths) the 3rd:)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter