What do you use to plan your meals?

We buy what is on sale usually in bulk an then use from freezer. Recently I have been fixing some different foods we had not had in a long time or some new ones.

I really try not to have the same meal twice in 2 weeks unless it's leftovers that we need to use up then often times I'll change it a bit to make it a little different.

Never do I plan out a week or 2 of menus in advance tried that yrs ago a few times always found that DH did not want those foods those nights or my DD's schedules did not allow me to cook.

DH also subscribed to several magazines thru his Coke Rewards I laughed an told him good look at finding recipes there. The one he did find I refused to use because sweet taters do not need 2 cups of whipping cream to be good!

Usually if I want something a bit different I can find something we will eat in a few mins at allrecipes.com or cooks.com

We are fortunate that we are able to grow, hunt, fish, and raise most of our food. We plan a monthly menu based on what is in the freezer and pantry. There are times when we do have to purchase items for the menu. Since it is planned a month in advance we can buy them ahead of time. This helps us avoid those "quick trips" to the store that end up costing $100. :rolleyes1

I have to say that the best cook book we have ever owned is Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. It has some great easy recipes. Perfect for a beginner cook. We have tweaked some of the recipes over the years, but for the most part we follow them as they are. We also get some ideas from watching cooking shows.

SaraJayne said:
I have made it a goal this year to plan better as far as meals at home go. :)

What do you use to plan your meals? Cookbooks, blogs, online recipe sites?

Hopefully, this will help others, too. :coffee:

*scratching head* A piece of paper and a pencil. I buy basics each week--fruits &veggies in season and meat on sale. I make menus from that and put it on the fridge

I have a 3 ring binder that I have recipes in page protectors. :) Some are from the web, some are torn out of magazines, others are handwritten.

I need to pull that out and go through it. :)

So do I :thumbsup2 with page protectors too ;)

Mine has gotten so big I now have a "Holiday" binder with recipes I use during the holidays and a "Sweets" binder and then my big binder is meal ideas along with a crock-pot section.

I think the majority of my recipes are from Foodnetwork. I also get recipes from the backs of cans/boxes at the store, and MIL is a good resource as well.

Any recipe that is a hit, I'll print out and put into a 3 ring binder. Those page protector sleeves are awesome....I'm a messy cook, always getting stuff everywhere!

Whenever I run out of dinner ideas, my go-to save is this: Pick up a rotisserie chicken at grocery store. Get a veggie, and some form of potatoes. Bam! You have dinner. Getting anything from the deli is pricy, but this works in a pinch. Kroger's rotisserie chickens are yummy! And this usually gives me and DH two nights worth of dinner. Plus extra chicken for sandwiches.

diznee25

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter