• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do you think of Saratoga Springs

ols386

I want to live at Disney World!!
DD and I are planning a trip to WDW in May of 2009. What do you think of SSR? Is it really only a 10-minute walk to DTD? What are the studio suite rooms like? Do you have any photos you can post? Did you like the counter service food? Any input would be great. (We were originally planning to stay at BC Villas, but it is more costly than SSR.)

How far the walk to DTD is dependly largely on what part of the resort you're in. If you're in The Grandstand, for example, it's a lot longer than Congress Park. I like SSR very much, by the way!

DD and I are planning a trip to WDW in May of 2009. What do you think of SSR?

We own here and really like it. The grounds and resort are nice. It's a relaxing atmosphere. Although you're "farther" from the parks (except TL!), you are "closer" to other stuff, like off-site restaurants, shopping, and groceries.

Is it really only a 10-minute walk to DTD?

Yes, but only from Congress Park, which is right across the lake from DtD. Some parts of the path are a little spooky at night, and some are even posted as closing at dusk. But when I was running early one morning a bicycle cop rode by, so at least they are cognizant of the security issue. The Paddock is not much farther than CP. Some parts of the resort are much farther.

What are the studio suite rooms like? Do you have any photos you can post?

Sorry, we've only stayed in the 2BR, which are really nice.

Did you like the counter service food?

Honestly, I love the Artist's Palette. They have an interesting selection, and the food is good. They also have grocery and snack items, including :mickeybar !
http://allears.net/menu/menu_ssap.htm

The Turf Club (TS) is really good, too.
http://allears.net/menu/menu_turfdin.htm

SSR can't beat BC for location, at least for Epcot and DHS. And Stormalong Bay beats SSR's pool hands down. But SSR will not disappoint.

DD and I are planning a trip to WDW in May of 2009. What do you think of SSR? What are the studio suite rooms like? Do you have any photos you can post?

some SSR information, including links to a photo gallery

some SSR pics, including studio pics.

i stayed at SSR a couple of years ago and really liked it. it is a lot farther from the action than BCV, but that can be a positive for some. if you don't like the turf club or artist's palette, there are plenty of excellent dining options just a walk or boat ride away at DTD.

also, studios are not really "suites", they are more similar to hotel rooms, but with only 1 queen size bed and one pullout sofabed. IMO, SSR's furnishings are very classy.

I love SSR, but I am biased since it is my home resort.

I did the walk to DTD from Grandstand.....a bit more than 10 minutes!! However, if you enjoy walks, it is a lovely one!! Especially if you are headed to DTD for shopping!! As I was last Dec!..lol...had to take the boat back!!

I digress....it is important I think that you are doing research now:) THere are different sections, and could affect your stay..if you have your own auto or not.
I have stayed in Grandstand section both times, and love this section. Close to private pool, which is wonderful and there is also a pool bar there. A quick 5 minute walk to Artist Palette (counter service)....
I will post some photos for you:)

WDW_Di_DEC07-006.jpg

WDW_Di_DEC07-005.jpg

WDW_Di_DEC07-007.jpg

WDW_Di_DEC07-008-1.jpg

WDW_Di_DEC07-022-1.jpg

if you want the quick walk to DD definitely go with Congress Park.

go behind the swimming pool and start there - do NOT follow the signs.

they are definitely misleading in SSR.

I love SSR, but I am biased since it is my home resort.

I did the walk to DTD from Grandstand.....a bit more than 10 minutes!! However, if you enjoy walks, it is a lovely one!! Especially if you are headed to DTD for shopping!! As I was last Dec!..lol...had to take the boat back!!

I digress....it is important I think that you are doing research now:) THere are different sections, and could affect your stay..if you have your own auto or not.
I have stayed in Grandstand section both times, and love this section. Close to private pool, which is wonderful and there is also a pool bar there. A quick 5 minute walk to Artist Palette (counter service)....
I will post some photos for you:)

I agree with all of the above! Including the home resort bias :laughing: Great pics btw! Makes me homesick :sad1:

We've stayed at SSR twice now (Grandstand by request both times) and I booked my Dad & Stepmom there last year in Congress Park. We love being at SSR, it's very relaxing. Food options are great! Love that Artist's Palette has different stuff, not standard burger & hot dogs. Turf Club is a hidden gem IMHO, we've had excellent food & service every time we've gone (quite a few times :rolleyes1 )

disneybride....thanks for the photos. And thanks to everyone for the input.

We had a fabulous 8n/9d trip to SSR this past June. Everything about it was terrific. Our room was the cleanest room of any hotel we've ever had and statyed that way (we had a 2 bedroom at SSR), the HRS pool was a blast with games and movies-the kids loved loved the pool. We particularly loved Artist's Palette. I was worried due to some reviews but it all turned out better than I expected. The chef's daily special was very good (something you can share). They had a small grocery section that had enough that I did not need to order from the online grocery store, I wish I had not done that. We had the dining plan and only needed a few things for snacks and breakfast and they had that to choose from. The grounds were beautiful and the cm's all very nice. We took the boat to Downtown Disney three separate times. It's a very nice boat ride and always quick. We had our own car as we prefer that so I am unaware of how good/bad the bus service was.

Take Care

I agree with all of the above! Including the home resort bias :laughing: Great pics btw! Makes me homesick :sad1:

Turf Club is a hidden gem IMHO, we've had excellent food & service every time we've gone (quite a few times :rolleyes1 )

I have stayed in a 1 bdr and a studio, both time got my requests...Grandstand!
Turf Club is a hidden gem, and I usually make alot of typos, and one time referred to it as the Turd Club..! LOl Maybe thats why its a hidden gem:rotfl2:

What do you think of Saratoga Springs

What we think:
1) It is pretty new.
2) It is far too spread-out, being the largest DVC.
3) It has limited food offerings.
4) Bus service can be spotty.
5) The rooms are nicely decorated.
6) They staff is freindly.
7) Walks to pools and food can be very long on wamr days.
8) Walks from bus to room can belong after a day of walking at the parks.
9) Based upon you room, the walk to DTD cna be brief or very long.

I love SSR! It's nice to go to relax after we go to the parks. We normally got into the buildings right by the main pool and main building, but it was still very quiet and didn't ever seem very crowded. The first time we went we stayed further away from the main building and I didn't like it as much but every other time it has been great especially being able to walk to DTD. It's the perfect resort if you don't plan on going to the parks for the entire day. :rotfl:

We just got back from our first DVC points as members. Here are my comments:

Pros:
1. Very nice decor in the rooms
2. Artists Palette was an excellent counter service restaurant - food was made fairly fresh, and as others had mentioned, did not have the typical burgers/hot dog type menu
3. All the staff there were extremely friendly
4. Beautiful grounds
5. By staying at the Grandstand, we were close to both the Grandstand pool (which had a nice water play area for kids) as well as the main pool

Cons (not really negative, but things I noticed):
1. While the resort is nice, I didn't find it to be as unique looking as other resorts
2. Bus service - we stayed at the Grandstand, so we were always the first stop to be picked up or dropped off. For every time we used the bus, by the time the bus got to the Springs busstop (the last one), the bus was full and people couldn't get on
3. Everything seemed busier than other resorts. The main pool was really busy, as was Artists Palette, at 'peak times' which by itself is not surprising, but I found it more busy than 'peak times' at other resorts' pools and counter service restaurants

We enjoy SSR and it's condo style openness. Very quiet resort and a nice place to relax.

We love SSR.

I think AP food is some of the best counter service food at WDW. It is more "Adult" in its offerings and I enjoy the dinner specials. Very reasonably priced and no need to dine out everynight if you dont feel like it.

I stayed at BCV earlier this month, and I still hopped over to SSR for dinner at AP 1 night. Spent 10 bucks and had a nice dinner.

Community Hall is also great. THey offer ceramics and Floral classes.

THe spa is wonderful and they give the best pedicures I have ever had and I have had pedicures in Vegas spas, DCL, and the fancy places at home. Here is what they offer at www.relaxedyet.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter