What do you think about the Pandora theme at AK

JustinD

Earning My Ears
The movie was hugely popular, but mostly because of the technology. It was incredibly immersive and had hot alien chicks with tails. However, it was a bit heavy handed and clunky in the theme and plot. Do you re-watch that movie? Has anyone born after 1990 even seen it? I don't think my kids have.

I look forward to new attractions as always. Will visit as soon as time permits.

First thought?

A bad movie with "animals" that weren't animals in a park called Animal Kingdom.

I think that they should have saved the money.

I wish they had built Beastly Kingdom.

Or stuck with real animals ... there are options still.

Avatar = Blue Aliens to me - so I don't feel the fit.

Doubt story will be appreciated by most, certainly not me, for what it is. It will just be "something new."

Lots of folks who didn't like Frozen are standing in that line, this will be no different, even more so.

I think it will be visually cool, the boat ride looks "different", really not interested in the part Soarin'/part StarTours attraction, the dining looks lackluster but hoping the landscape will be somewhat interactive and cool to enjoy since getting on new rides will be difficult or impossible for many to get on. I think it will be a great photographic opportunity as is much of AK .......... Rohde is first and foremost an artist - he does not disappoint there.

We shall see ..........

Has anyone born before 1960 seen it? ;)

Regardless, sequels are on the way.

Sequels doesn't mean the story is sustainable, it could just mean Cameron's ego. And he better hurry up ... at his production speed he may never see them complete.

My "after 1960" born, very movie obsessed kid said "Beautiful movie in the theater visually. At home on TV it was Ferngully. Nothing original or interesting about the story, and without the big screen the visuals are lost."

At first I was like ugh I didn't care for the movie (it was beautiful but besides that brought nothing to the plate) but then when more was revealed and the fact it was not about the movies but more the world of Pandora I became intrigued. With each new update and glimpse I become more and more excited. Sure it is a land of fantasy but DAK was suppose to have that from day one (thus the Dragon as AngiTn said and the fact it almost had a unicorn forest) and because it isn't based on 1 specific movie or even really the arch of the movies it will be less likely to feel stuck.

Is there land in AK to do something later on? I myself am not too interested in Avatar. I never saw the movie because it never seemed interesting to me. I will still go to the land and ride the rides, hopefully it is at least entertaining.

I'm very "eh" on it. The film was magnificent in terms of visuals, but pretty forgettable otherwise.

It's odd because I've never seen a film make that much money and completely drop out of the pop culture conversation that quickly. But, Disney signed the contracts during that whole 20 minutes that it was relevant and here we are.

Is there land in AK to do something later on?

Just a bit, yes. ;)

DAK-All-Area.jpg

I've never seen it and my DS9 has never seen it. I've shown him the concept art and little sneak peaks that have been revealed, however, and we are both intrigued. We certainly enjoy immersive entertainment and technological advances at theme parks, so we are looking forward to it! I guess I never understood how they decided to invest so much in Avatar. Star Wars and Marvel I get (HUGE fan bases). Frozen, I get (plus, it's already a Disney property). Harry Potter in Universal, I get (again, huge fan base). But Avatar? Has it really maintained its fan base over the years? I, too, wish they had built Beastly Kingdom. Every time we walk by the Animal Kingdom sign on the way into AK, DS always asks why there is a dragon on it.

Like everyone else said, the visuals are what made the movie, not the story. So yes, I'm excited to see those visuals brought to life at Animal Kingdom. Plus with one of the messages of the movie being about conservation and preserving nature, I think that lines up with Animal Kingdom even if it isn't animal based land.

I've never seen it and my DS9 has never seen it. I've shown him the concept art and little sneak peaks that have been revealed, however, and we are both intrigued. We certainly enjoy immersive entertainment and technological advances at theme parks, so we are looking forward to it! I guess I never understood how they decided to invest so much in Avatar. Star Wars and Marvel I get (HUGE fan bases). Frozen, I get (plus, it's already a Disney property). Harry Potter in Universal, I get (again, huge fan base). But Avatar? Has it really maintained its fan base over the years? I, too, wish they had built Beastly Kingdom. Every time we walk by the Animal Kingdom sign on the way into AK, DS always asks why there is a dragon on it.
Well, they didn't buy Lucasfilm until a couple of years after they'd signed the contracts for Avatar. And the rules on what they can and can't do with Marvel at WDW are...a little dodgy.

Just a bit, yes. ;)

DAK-All-Area.jpg

oh my lol. So they definitely have room for many other things. A little off topic, but just looking at how much land is there by AK alone, do you think there is enough land for a 5th park???

But Fantasy was always planned to be a part of AK (hence the Dragon on the logo)
But wasn't the a point of the movie that these things aren't animals? And that we shouldn't treat them as such.

I only saw the movie once. So I can't state that as fact, but I thought that was one of the points of the movie.

New rides will be nice. But another theme would be better.

Like everyone else said, the visuals are what made the movie, not the story. So yes, I'm excited to see those visuals brought to life at Animal Kingdom. Plus with one of the messages of the movie being about conservation and preserving nature, I think that lines up with Animal Kingdom even if it isn't animal based land.
Yes, exactly. While the movie itself was just ok the world it created and the story it brings do fit, in my mind, very well with AK. I am very excited for it. I think it will be the most artistically stunning land done thus far.

But wasn't the a point of the movie that these things aren't animals? And that we shouldn't treat them as such.

I only saw the movie once. So I can't state that as fact, but I thought that was one of the points of the movie.

No, I don't recall that message (if it was there it was lost on me) but my point was Avatar the movie was a Fantasy movie. So the land fits as a Fantasy-based land.

I think its way to early to have an opinion on the new section of DAK. I'd prefer to actually see/experience it rather than speculate on what little we know, even for those who may not have seen or cared for the movie.

Yeah, I've seen the movie a few times and that was definitely not the message. It was more like, "We're all animals and part of the same environment, so we need to take care of it."
Personally, the movie was OK but I'm really looking forward to how immersive this new land can be (assuming it didn't or doesn't suffer from the Shanghai axe!).

Has anyone born before 1960 seen it? ;)

Hmmmmmm. I was born in 1946 and have seen it several times - first two times in IMAX. I also have the DVD.

I think it was a great movie. We saw the floating islands from the parking lot in October/November and they look awesome. We'll be back in March then in December. I can hardly wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter