What do Cast Members see when they scan your magic bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodad

DIS Veteran
I'm curious how much information shows up when CMs scan my magic band. Do they see the name on my MDE? Do they see the name on the magic band? Do they see where I'm staying, what fast passes I have that day, what fast passes I have other days, how many dining credits I have left, my picture even?

I'm assuming they see different things depending on whether it's at a fast pass kiosk, a restaurant, a gift shop, or Stormalong Bay. Are there any pictures online of what the screen looks like?

I glanced at the fastpass screen and I know one of the things that popped up was what I was celebrating - my graduation. Only one CM the whole trip said something about it.

It depends.

FP CMs see your fastpasses and any celebrarions.

Hotel CMs see you reservation information so I think they pretty much see everything. That's from the people at Stormalong bay, to check in, to the security guard. I only figured that out because we were coming back to the Beach club and the security guard said oh you have my favorite meal Be Our Guest for later! So not sure if it is just hotel and dinning but it is the reservation section.

They can not see CC information, pin info, anything like that. They can't access photos unless they are on a photopass computer as there is no photo on your account. They may see the character you chose to represent you.

They will be able to see what is on your MDE account. Your real name (not the one on your magic band), your resort if on site, your ticket media (hopper, AP whatever), your FP reservations, your ADRs if made through MDE, if you have entered a celebration etc. They will not have your credit card information, that is encripted for point of service transactions. They will not have your social security number (would you give that to the MDE site?). And no, they do not know if you wear boxers or briefs, thongs or boy short underwear. That is the max they will see, some touchpad locations will have less.

Varies by the location:

1. At Main Entrance, your name. If a ticket issue, such as not having a hopper and trying to park hop, or an invalid day, biometric fail, no ticket media on MB, etc., it will show the type of issue with the ticket media.
2. At FP locations, your MB name and celebrations. If not touched inside of your FP window, it will show your time window. If you do not have a FP for that particular attraction, it will show what your "next experience" is and the time.
3. As far as the Resort information, wilkeliza above, has it pretty much correct although I don't think that Security has handheld devices to scan the MB. I've never seen any Security with a handheld (not sure what their "need to know" from the MB would be) nor have I known any of them that had been trained on the handheld devices. I don't think that front desk at Resorts has ability to see as much (FP's, MDE stuff) as the Concierge (basically Guest Relations) can see.
4. Guest Relations can see just about everything, although I don't think they can see your CC information.
5. Guest Relations at Main Entrance (by the touch-points) can see some other stuff relative only to your ticket media. Can't see MDE, Resort, etc., related items.

I glanced at the fastpass screen and I know one of the things that popped up was what I was celebrating - my graduation. Only one CM the whole trip said something about it.

Honestly, about the only time the Greeter CM looks at the screen is when it shows blue and we turn to look to see what the issue is. When it's green, we don't spend a lot of time looking back to it.

Last edited:
Security posted to the entrances of the resorts certainly have MB handhelds, or at least they do at Wilderness Lodge.

I'm pretty sure Disney knows everything about all of us! Real Age, height, real weight, all our favorites, children, Married, single, darkest secret, location at all times, & yes The Mouse does know what kind of undies you wear or if commando is your preference. The great Mouse has spies everywhere! Think about it....fairies are tiny & fly fast. Who knows what they reporting back to The Mouse right now! ;)

I don't think that Security has handheld devices to scan the MB. I've never seen any Security with a handheld (not sure what their "need to know" from the MB would be)

I've had a band scanned by secuirity when driving into a resort, I assume it is to check if you are a guest of the resort or have a dining reservation entitling you to park there.

The most interesting scan we noticed was when a fingerprint read didn't work and a guest services (plaid vest) came over and scanned with an iPad, they could see a CCTV image of us entering out first park on the first day the ticket was used.

Varies by the location:

1. At Main Entrance, your name. If a ticket issue, such as not having a hopper and trying to park hop, or an invalid day, biometric fail, no ticket media on MB, etc., it will show the type of issue with the ticket media.
2. At FP locations, your MB name and celebrations. If not touched inside of your FP window, it will show your time window. If you do not have a FP for that particular attraction, it will show what your "next experience" is and the time.
3. As far as the Resort information, wilkeliza above, has it pretty much correct although I don't think that Security has handheld devices to scan the MB. I've never seen any Security with a handheld (not sure what their "need to know" from the MB would be) nor have I known any of them that had been trained on the handheld devices. I don't think that front desk at Resorts has ability to see as much (FP's, MDE stuff) as the Concierge (basically Guest Relations) can see.
4. Guest Relations can see just about everything, although I don't think they can see your CC information.
5. Guest Relations at Main Entrance (by the touch-points) can see some other stuff relative only to your ticket media. Can't see MDE, Resort, etc., related items.

Honestly, about the only time the Greeter CM looks at the screen is when it shows blue and we turn to look to see what the issue is. When it's green, we don't spend a lot of time looking back to it.

All security has the handhelds now. They typically bring it out now if you don't use the returning guest thing. Some may not use it but at least at all the Deluxe resorts we have been asked for our band and it has been scanned. I believe they use it to see if you in fact have a reservation and are staying at that hotel or have a dinning reservation. Since they are making it to the security kiosks I wouldn't be shocked if they start telling the quick service/ hidden mickey hunters/ hotel lookers that they have to park at a resort or Disney springs and bus over. It would help mitigate a lot of the parking issues some of the resorts have.

On our last trip the tapstile CM had on their iPad a picture of my partner so blue error on the bio reader as well as his photo from the year before as it never fails. Every scanner that needs his fingerprint Disney or six flags NEVER scans. We tell the CM to put their hand up each time and they always say "try one more time" before they do. It's quite annoying

At the park entrance they can also see if you are a dvc member as the mickey head went from blue to green to pink flashing and the cast member told us Welcome home....lol.

At the park entrance they can also see if you are a dvc member as the mickey head went from blue to green to pink flashing and the cast member told us Welcome home....lol.

That is relatively new but yes the tapstiles now show who is DVC by making the pink circle. Not sure if the CMs actually see that you are DVC or they just know the tap point is coded to make it do that. They don't touch a button or anything.

The colors that appear on the Touch-Point are just that, on the Touch-Point stand, not on the Greeter CM's handheld device. They change the color / display programming dependent on special promotional tickets, type of "special" ticket and so on. The Greeter CM's handheld does not have the capabilities that the Guest Relations @ Park Entry CM has on their iPads, totally different operation.

With respect to the Resort Security kiosk, I haven' gone over to a Resort in several months so have not seen them with a handheld, guessing it is just as said, for reservations and ADR's. My comments were directed to Parks so should have said that in my earlier post, sorry for confusion.

With respect to biometric scans issues, training protocols call for the Greeter CM to try 3 times before signalling for a GR@PE, so they're doing what they are supposed to do.

FWIW: Since late Spring 2016, the Greeter CM handheld at the Touch-Point has the capability to process "Will Call" ticketing whether it is a printed copy or a phone copy, as long as it has a bar code. It can be scanned at any Touch-Point and a "hard card" will be issued right there with no need to stand in the Will Call lines. Be advised though, that "sometimes" the system will ask for a credit card verification that was used for the purchase. The CM will only have to see the last numbers (usually 4 I think), not the whole number, so a guest can just hold their finger across the other numbers to block them out.

Last edited:
Now that the info for @hodad has been clarified and because this thread has attracted jokes - some that are funny and some that are inappropriate, closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter