What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

I'm 23 and my parents have been DVC members for about 15 years. I've been coming to Disney at least once a year for the past 12 years or so. I'm bringing my girlfriend for her first Disney trip in August before Med-School starts for myself, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for nice weather and lite crowds (wishful thinking :goodvibes ) Some of my advice might be geared for people my age, but nonetheless I hope some of it is helpful.

1. Get to Animal Kingdom early, ideally at rope drop, and proceed to Kilimanjaro Safari's. Obtain fastpasses. Ride it - there should be no wait because you're one of the first ones there - and once off, ride it again!

The experience is totally different each time: a different guide, the animals moving around, etc. Plus getting their early, food is put out so the animals get in good viewing and so they will be active in the morning. This is unfortunately a ride that can be a lot of fun (if you see a lot of animals), or a bit of a bust ("Just look at those termite mounds!"). Don't leave it to chance, ride it twice!

2. You can easily make a cheap and fun day at the Boardwalk area.

Take a bus to Hollywood Studios, and walk along the channel to Boardwalk (about 10 minutes). From there you can: walk to Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf (so much fun!), walk around the lagoon to Swan/Dolphin, Beach and Yacht Club or see the sights and sounds of Boardwalk. Big River Grille and the ESPN club are fun (for an older crowd) to grab some drinks or appetizers. Jellyrolls, with dueling pianos, is a fun night cap.

3. Single rider lines.

I believe these are available, at least, at Everest and Test track. More than once I have skipped the 90 minute wait and rode the ride 2-3 times in less than 20 minutes.

4. Wear sandals to the parks.

Obviously comfort is the most important thing, but if it rains or you ride a water ride, nothing is worse than wet socks/shoes all day and the wrinkly feet!

5. Dinner at the California Grille at the Contemporary.

Book those reservations in advance. Arrive 45 minutes early (or earlier and ride the monorail) to make a special table request. Hopefully you'll have a window-table, amazing food, a great view and an overall great experience as the restaurant pipes in music from 'Wishes' being played at Magic Kingdom. Don't worry, they have a balcony if you don't get your ideal table where the view is still great the and music can still be heard. It is a bit spending however, well worth it though!

All great tips! I have yet to walk around the boardwalk area. Good luck with med school. My husband is 23 also and starting in August.

• Utilizing the Fastpass system to the fullest.
  • Hitting a popular ride during the parade. We walked in Pirates all the way literally to the boats with no wait during the parade when an hour before there was a 50 min wait
  • Packing water and snacks each day. Saved lots of $$ that way

Pirates often had walk on times. Of the three times we went we waited no more than five minutes. Neither of our kids like the ride so they tried to walk around it since it was so accessible.

I pack each of my daughters clothes in ziploc bags. Shirt, shorts,panties,and socks. All they have to do each morning is grab a bag out of the suitcase and they are ready to go fro the day. I also do this each night with their jammies. Jammies and a pair of pantie in a bag... they are ready for the tub.
I pack my kids this way for every event! I write their names or give them a symbol so they know what is theirs. This gives them freedom to "pick" an outfit and allows me to relax and let them "be" themselves. Several of my mom friends have stollen this trick and everybody swears by it! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
CA

I do this too! Love it!

On really cold nights (usually around Feb), most people end up buying $50 sweatshirts! I found out from another guest that using a poncho keeps in the heat and is only $6-7! You may look a little silly, but just imagine if you had to buy sweatshirts for the whole family because you didn't think it could get so chilly in Florida!

My absolute favorite advice/tip came from the Unofficial Guide to DisneyWorld. The fact that --- Disney World will always be there. If you don't see it this time, then it will be there for the next trip. This has saved countless hours trying to get it all in with a tired family in tow.

I am really glad I listened to the tip about the mini M&M tubes for the quarters and pennies for the pressed penny machines, and also bringing a wet washcloth in a baggie to cool/clean off. :)

I wanted to add something...

Get or make one of those neck coolers. They are a LIFE SAVER on those really hot days! The "squeeze breezes" are expensive and end up making you damp (and in FL weather that will never dry out!). The neck coolers help a lot and they're the fraction of the cost. :) We're making everyone a cooler for our trip this year.

At walmart i went to the machine that makes dog tags. I made one for each of my kids with there names, my cell phone number, and my husbands cell phone number.and put it on a necklace and they wore them just in case we got seperated.

I like this idea too but my younger DD wouldn't keep a necklace on...so I found a website via disboards that made silicone bracelets with anything on them. I had two bracelets made for my DD's with "Mommy's cell phone # --- --- ----". These work perfectly for us!

I made one for my ds & put it on his shoe since he won't wear a necklace or bracelet.

I am deffinately glad I listened to the boards tips about wearing Teva and Keens, I now LIVE in these shoes!

They make duct tape in colors now, so my little black rollie bag now has a big hot pink stripe on the front and back to distinguish it from the other 5000 little black rollie bags. And it sticks quite well -- I've had it on there for a few years now with no problems. I used to have a bag with a big F marked out in duct tape, but I have since dumped my worthless husband and a B is harder to make, so I settled for just a stripe.

I got terrible blisters last yr so this yr I put baby powder in my sock then wore two pair of ankle socks. gives you extra cushion and absorbs sweat and water (from water rides) so not to give you a blister. worked like a charm this yr!!!:worship:

This has been the best Thread. I've created a list of advice that all of you have suggested (7 pages) and I took it with me shopping. Such great ideas!! This will be my first visit to WDW and I wanted to thank all of you for your great ideas that will make my 1st a wonderful time. 6 days and counting!!! :woohoo:

I wanted to add something...

Get or make one of those neck coolers. They are a LIFE SAVER on those really hot days! The "squeeze breezes" are expensive and end up making you damp (and in FL weather that will never dry out!). The neck coolers help a lot and they're the fraction of the cost. :) We're making everyone a cooler for our trip this year.

What are these? I've never heard of this before.:confused3

I am brand new to this---never been to Disney. What are CRT's and PS's?
CRT is Cinderella's Royal Table. It's the restaurant inside the castle at Magic Kingdom.

PS may be Priority Seating. But Disney Dining doesn't really use that term anymore. They use the term Advance Dining Reservations now or ADRs on this board.

Do everything you can do to "pamper" your feet. Bodyglide, moleskin, Crocs -- whatever works best for you.

Even if you're in good shape and used to walking a lot, WDW is very hard on feet (I read somewhere that the average number of miles walked per day was between 8 and 10 at WDW!). I shudder at the thought of getting blisters. I brought some workout shoes in 2005 that I thought were well broken in. NOT! Got a big blister on the bottom of my little toe the first day; hurt like the dickens. Now I bring more than one different shoe option. Crocs didn't work well for me, so I bring sneakers, sandals, flip-flops -- all very well broken in.

A related thought -- I got terrible shin splints last trip. This year, I'm starting my walking program 3 months ahead of time, to ward off shin splints. They were so painful I thought I would have to go home - each step was agony! I ended up renting an ECV for the last three days of my trip; never again!

What are these? I've never heard of this before.:confused3

We love our neck coolers, too! They're tubes of fabric filled with water crystals. When you soak the neck coolers in water, they plump up like a sausage roll (but if they're made right, they really shouldn't plump up that big). Anyway, the water crystals inside have unique properties that hold the temperature of the water for a lot longer than regular water. In other words, it stays cold longer than cold water or it can stay warm longer than warm water. We put our neck coolers in the refrigerator overnight and carry them in collapsible coolers into the park. When we can't stand the heat anymore, we pull them out and--OMgoodness--the relief is amazing. During lunch we put our neck coolers back in our tote and pour ice over them and then they're ready for a second beating from the heat! HTH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter