What Disney Tip Are you really glad you listened to?

Yes. If you go to the main menu/list of threads, there is one for technical questions, and within that there is a pinned topic of list of abbreviations. Which may or may not help, as it seems people make up new ones every day, KWIM? (That would be "know what I mean"? LOL) And by the way, for our British friends, in Disney World, "WC" is "Whispering Canyon," not what you might think.
Anyway, here is a link to that thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1660743

Thank you! And it's official! My daughter called this afternoon to say that her requested vacation time for the first week of December had been approved. Yay! First girl's trip! I put my ticker up early just in hopes and my wish came true.

I am so bummed they don't let kids ride in the front of the monorail any longer:(. We asked last summer on our trip and were told it was closed.

When we were there, not sure if it was July 2009, June of 2011 or July of 2012 but while in training the monorail crashed and killed the new employee so I am sure Disney decided safety of guests is too important to ignore that this gentleman actually died in the crash... Another time we were there an elderly gentleman stepped off the curb in front of a bus and it killed him too so everyone PLEASE be careful while walking in front of the resorts, those buses can't stop as fast as a car and it's very dangerous to walk in the areas where buses or other vehicles travel because let's face it most people are really thinking about the park and day that lies ahead of them or what they did that day if it is evening time... Sorry that these tips seem a bit grim... but if it makes everyone more careful... I will feel I did offer some good advice.

always get hopper passes. it took us a couple of trips to learn how to use them properly but they are worth the $.::yes::

we have certain eating areas that we love to hop to in different parks. also may want to hop over to the french bakery to pick up things to have in the room. a few small items from the main st bakery also. run back to mk for one more space mountain or splash mountain ride. or back to ak for 2 or 3 more expedition everest rides. or to pick up that tee shirt you did not buy when you found it.

doesn't that make you home sick for disney? pixiedust: it does me. i want so much to run back to some favorite spots just for the beautiful memory.

always get hopper passes. it took us a couple of trips to learn how to use them properly but they are worth the $.::yes::

we have certain eating areas that we love to hop to in different parks. also may want to hop over to the french bakery to pick up things to have in the room. a few small items from the main st bakery also. run back to mk for one more space mountain or splash mountain ride. or back to ak for 2 or 3 more expedition everest rides. or to pick up that tee shirt you did not buy when you found it.

doesn't that make you home sick for disney? pixiedust: it does me. i want so much to run back to some favorite spots just for the beautiful memory.

We used to park hop back when it was an added charge. Then we bought extra days so we could park hop when it was a charge on the cheap. Now that Disney also caught on to that trick we have learned how to enjoy without the hoppers and find ourselves having just as much fun !!

Ziploc bags all the way. Perfect for phone, autograph books, and wet anythings.

A brightly colored scarf to tie on the stroller handle makes it easier to find in the "sea" especially when they move it on you!

My daughter brings about $20 of her own money to buy something we won't. She hardly ever spends it all!

Bring a nightlight for the bathroom.

Are the fastpass machines on before the park opens?
This is no longer relevant with the implementation of FP+. FP+ allows you to book your ride times up to 60 days in advance if you are staying in a Disney resort. You only get 3 choices per day as of right now. Guests who are staying off property can make their selections at kiosks once inside the park. I'm not sure when the kiosks are turned on but it will be no later than official park opening.

This is no longer relevant with the implementation of FP+. FP+ allows you to book your ride times up to 60 days in advance if you are staying in a Disney resort. You only get 3 choices per day as of right now. Guests who are staying off property can make their selections at kiosks once inside the park. I'm not sure when the kiosks are turned on but it will be no later than official park opening.

If you stay off site do you have to use the kiosks to get a fast pass? Have they done away with the fast pass machines at the ride itself?

If you stay off site do you have to use the kiosks to get a fast pass? Have they done away with the fast pass machines at the ride itself?
Yes. Kiosks are your only option. Legacy FP is all gone.

With early adr, can we really finish eating before RD?

Depends on how early your ADR is, what type, and if they open the park before the scheduled opening time or not.

For instance, we had an ADR for CP at 8:10 on a day the park opened at 9:00. They took us in about 8:20. We were done eating and had paid our bill by about 10 minutes before 9:00. Breakfast did feel a little rushed, but overall was fine. We ended up splitting up, though, because Eeyore (the only character that we just had to meet) skipped our table. It took forever for him to make a second round and get back to us, so dad stayed with one girl, and the rest of us left to get in line for Tinker-belle. They ended up joining us about 10 minutes after RD.

So you can see if you get in early enough, making rope drop is no problem. However, if you are trying to wait on characters or have issues you may cut it close. Also, if they had opened the park early at 8:30, we wouldn't have made it either. As we were just getting started about then.

Depends on how early your ADR is, what type, and if they open the park before the scheduled opening time or not.

For instance, we had an ADR for CP at 8:10 on a day the park opened at 9:00. They took us in about 8:20. We were done eating and had paid our bill by about 10 minutes before 9:00. Breakfast did feel a little rushed, but overall was fine. We ended up splitting up, though, because Eeyore (the only character that we just had to meet) skipped our table. It took forever for him to make a second round and get back to us, so dad stayed with one girl, and the rest of us left to get in line for Tinker-belle. They ended up joining us about 10 minutes after RD.

So you can see if you get in early enough, making rope drop is no problem. However, if you are trying to wait on characters or have issues you may cut it close. Also, if they had opened the park early at 8:30, we wouldn't have made it either. As we were just getting started about then.

Thanks! I guess if we could get an 8 05 or 8 :10 we ll take it, or else we should take the last breakfast seating right? Is crt breakfast longer than cp? Everyone seems to be doing cp for early adr,

Thanks! I guess if we could get an 8 05 or 8 :10 we ll take it, or else we should take the last breakfast seating right? Is crt breakfast longer than cp? Everyone seems to be doing cp for early adr,

I would think it might be harder to make RD with CRT because it is table service. CP is buffet, so if you ask to pay up front when you first sit down, you are good to go as soon as you finish eating and meeting the characters. You can really rush it or drag it out depending on your preference. Also CRT are face characters who talk to you, so that usually means the encounters last a little longer than just the typical quick hug and photo op you normally get with the CP characters. Both of those things will make CRT take a little longer.

I think personally I'd rather save CRT for last and enjoy it, not feel so rushed, but I know I've read about people who do it first and still make RD. Character meals are really hit or miss. Sometimes you have great interaction, and the characters stay for awhile at each table. Meals can last over an hour. Sometimes you get rushed through with barely long enough to smile for a photo. Just depends on how busy they are and who is working. It took us 3 hours to get in and out of 50's Prime Time, and they don't even have any characters. It was just that slow. You just never know what type of service to expect.

I haven't read through this whole list, but two of the most helpful tips I've been given are both about counter service restaurants.

1. Any counter service restaurant will give you a free cup of ice water if you ask. No need to buy anything, just ask. Very helpful on hot days!

2. The lines to the cashiers go on both sides, and the cashier takes the order first from one side, then the other. I have often seen a long line on one side, and no line at all on the other. Just walk up to the empty side and your order will be taken next.

TP

Oh and I had also read a tip to take things for your kids to do in the long lines. I packed the little bottles of bubbles in my back pack. My older kids loved blowing them and watching the smaller kids in lines chase after them. The other parents were also grateful that we had provided 10 minutes of entertainment for their kids. It was a win win!!:cheer2:

I know this was posted a while back, but if you do this, please, please be careful with it. Some people (like me) are allergic to the some of the chemicals that they put into those (like perfumes). I have to be very careful of what comes into contact with my skin. So, if I'm in line and some of those soap bubbles land on me, I will break out into itchy red rashes. Not something I want to deal with while in a hot park.

Taking a picture of my suitcases before checking them. When they lost my black suitcase I could show them the picture with the brand name and the scratch on it. I'm not sure I'd have gotten it back if I hadn't had the picture.

I like this tip. :)

Bring a nightlight for the bathroom.

We've never used nightlights. Instead of buying and/or packing one, just leave the light on in the bathroom and leave the door cracked just a bit. Has always worked for me.

Solan pas for the hubby's sore back; gold bond powder for my feet; ginger capsules for my son (he thought they worked better than his motion sickness pills); multiple pairs of shoes for swapping daily; water flavor stuff; peppermint lotion for my tired feet each night; snacks for the kids to take daily for those in-between hungry moments; glow necklaces from home (we shared those one night in our resort pool!); extra empty carry on bags in our checked luggage for the return trip home (we flew Southwest and kids did not have a carry on on the way down, but on the return trip they each got one!); stopping at walmart on our one day trip to the ocean and buying water, pop and breakfast items to save money. I'm sure there are more, but these are at the top of my head at the moment!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Long thread, I haven't read it all. If it's been mentioned already, mine is a ditto Bring along a small nightlight. Some of those rooms are very dark, it's tricky to wake up in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar room. The problem with some of the bathrooms is the fan that comes on automatically when you leave the light on. It can be noisy.

THANK YOU for reminding me about a night light! We forgot to pack one on our last trip to DL. My daughter sleeps better with a white noise generator so we were able to get an app that does that.

My trip in September this year is my DD 18 first time and My Dh first time. I have been but its been 20 years ago so its like my first time too. Don't remember much at all from that long ago. So i have a question about my 18 year old. I know shes going to have a good time but is there anything that we can do to make it even more special? She has said she doesn't want to do any character dinners or meet and greets (I do though) so what else can we do?:confused3

I also asked this question for my new wife
and one thing was to start your disney experience at the magic kingdom looking down main street to the castle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter