What did you like and dis-like about Coral Reef

stoudt6

Mouseketeer
going there soon and want to hear about the good and bad from Wait-time, seating,service food and price.

The atmosphere was very cool. If you were lucky enough to get a window seat even better. We were not. But it was still a great atmostphere. We thought the food was overpriced adn not for us. Kids left feeling hungry as did we. We wont go back there... Some people like the food, but I thouht it was small portions of stuff I wouldnt normally order way over priced. :goodvibes

We ate there for the first time last year. Our ADR was for 5:45, and we didn't wait more than five minutes before being seated. Unfortunately they seated our party of four on the uppermost level, at a table at the far end of the wall. I'd read that there are no bad views at CR, but ours certainly wasn't a decent one. DH and I had to actually turn around if we wanted to see the fish tanks. It was darker inside than I prefer; almost too dark, really. Service was very slow, but the food was pretty good, particularly the NY Strip. Their chocolate wave for dessert was sublime. All in all I doubt we'll go back; too many other good places that we enjoy better.

I've eaten here about 6 times in the past 3 years, both lunch and dinner.

The pros:

1. the atmosphere. It's dark and undersea feeling. The tank itself isn't a big deal but I love the decor here, starting the moment you walk in the door.

The cons:

1. service ranges from slow to non existent. They often seat behind schedule. Your server will be nowhere to be found.

2. noise level. The acoustics are terrible in here and all it takes is one screaming baby to ruin a meal. It's not as bad if you are seated on the fringe but if you get a table in the middle of the place, it's uncomfortable.

I can't put the food into a pro or con category because Coral Reef has suffered more from dining plan changes than any other restaurant on property IMO. To keep costs down to make it a 1TS on the DDP, they have gotten rid of the great entrees. The only item on the current menu that I like is the mahi mahi. For someone who doesn't remember the way it was, the opinions will be quite different from mine.

service ranges from slow to non existent. They often seat behind schedule. Your server will be nowhere to be found.

I remember that; we barely saw our server. He disappeared for long lengths of time; if you wanted refills ... too bad. And while the food we had was tasty, the portions were quite small.

We were there 3 years ago, but it was overpriced and my husband left hungry. Kids didn't like their meals at all. We will not be dining there on our trip in a few weeks.

What I love: The atmosphere! The food! The service! We always enjoy Coral Reef and have not had a bad experience yet...I would highly recommend it. We usually have to wait around 15 minutes with an ADR, but have always enjoyed our dining there.

Coral Reef for lunch in Dec. 2010. Asked for a table by the aquarium. Seated in about 5 minutes. Really like the decor, very nice and relaxing. Had a great view of the aquarium from our table... other tables seem fine too because you are elevated. We had a couple young kids come to our table, clearly they wanted a closer look... so we moved a chair out of the way for them. No problem.

Food was pretty good, details in my review. One of the most expensive lunches... $114 for 2 adults (appetizer, entree, dessert, drink) and 1 child meal. On the deluxe dining plan, so just 1 credit.

My Review of Coral Reef -- Includes photos and a video of the aquarium taken from our table.

Or here's a link to the video

I like it and continue to go back.

The Pros

1. The decor is wonderful especially if you get seated next to the tank.
2. The food is good. I have not had a bad meal there yet. I had the mussels appetizer, mahi mahi and Baileys Mouse and it was all fabulous.

The Cons
1. Inconsistent service - seems like every other time we visit there we get bad service.
2. It is very loud inside.

Here are a few pics from Lunch there in Dec 2010

The mussels appetizer

The Salmon (my dad had this. Sorry it isn't rotated correctly)

The Trout my mom had

The Wave - (molten Chocolate Cake my mom had)

The butterscotch creme brulee

The pics of the mahi mahi, bailey's mousse didn't turn out, but they were delicious.

Hope this helps.

The atmosphere was very cool. If you were lucky enough to get a window seat even better. We were not. But it was still a great atmostphere. We thought the food was overpriced adn not for us. Kids left feeling hungry as did we. We wont go back there... Some people like the food, but I thouht it was small portions of stuff I wouldnt normally order way over priced. :goodvibes

I was worried about this. I haven't been there but really wanted to go there when I go in September, but the menu really turned me off so I picked another place. Lots of things we wouldn't normally order too. :confused3

Love the food and atmosphere. The last 2 times, Nov and Dec, we had to wait forever for the check. Service was good until then. You would think they would want to get you out and the next person in...................:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter