What did you do today to save money?

minnie1928

WDW addict
I was recently looking at another site and they had a thread like this and I thought it might be interesting to see what you guys did. I thought this might be an interesting twist on spending (or not spending;) ).

You can post every day things like I skipped a latte or Disney things like I just called and got at AP rate at the Contemporary. I thought it would be something that we could all participate in and maybe give us a few new ideas.

So I'll start:
1. Ran a load of laundry and let it air dry about 90%. Then threw it in the dryer for about 10 minutes to shake out the wrinkles.
2. Called around for insurance quotes (auto and renters policy) for my mom. Cut her annual bill from $993 to $727!
3. Didn't run any errands today, saved them all for tomorrow when I have other running around to do (saved gas hopefully).
4. Called my alarm company to confirm that I don't need a dedicated phone line for the alarm. They said that I don't need the 2nd line so I can cancel that once the alarm company comes out to make the change. I negotiated the alarm company's service call from $75 to $20 and now my phone bill will drop by $15/mth.

How about some others?

I purposely avoided the stores and drove straight home. :car:

I did not go to any stores today. I actually have gymbucks that started today but my dd does not need anymore clothes. I stayed home and cleaned the house.:)

I unsubscribed from all my shopping emails (Disney Store, Amazon, Buy.com, etc) so there's no temptation.

And tonight is a leftover night because I didn't feel like grocery shopping...I mean, because I was saving money on groceries. :rolleyes1

Added fresh coffee to the used grounds to stretch it out. Dried some of the heavier clothes on the line. Spent about an hour reading about the DRIP program of my favorite stock and retrieved the certificate of a non-performer to take to Scottrade tomorrow. Weeded out my coupons and used them to complete my shopping list.

I did not go to Target today!!! :cool1:
I also started reading Start Late, Finish Rich by David Bach today. (I got it from the library.)

I used my 40% off JoAnn's coupon to buy a craft item.
Plus I bundled that trip with getting my son's hair cut, thus saving gas! (Which meant I had to listen to ds complain about going shopping!:rolleyes: )

I walked the kids to school instead of driving so saved gas(a big one since it snowed here and was below freezing, but it isn't far and we just bundled up)

I read a library book instead of browsing online shopping sites/deal sites

Threw some chicken in the crockpot although I REALLY wanted to order pizza

I also unsubbed from a bunch of shopping sites over the past few days, I can't believe how much easier it is to check my email without all of those cluttering it up

Stuck to my plan to drink only one soda per day, so I've been drinking water (and one cup of hot chocolate to warm up after walking the kids to school, lol)

Made my grocery list for tomorrow

Went to the grocery store to buy blueberries, lemonade mix pouches (for my boys lunches) and cat food before the sale ended.

Threw some chicken in the crockpot although I REALLY wanted to order pizza

I really wanted to order pizza tonight, too!! But I stuck with my plan for the week and made the stir fry that I already had in the freezer.

I also decided not to use a $10 Disney Coupon that I have because I would have had to have spent more money to use it and I didn't really need or want anything. That was a hard one for me!

1. I subscribed to the Omni Preferred Guest program a few weeks ago, so today when I woke up in my hotel, I got Starbucks coffee and juice, and the Boston Globe delivered--free! No breakfast cost.
2. Used my AAA discount to go to the JFK library-- a great museum!
3. Walked out of the craft store without buying anything when the clerk would not let me use one of the coupons in the flyer that was sitting right on her counter!
(we won't talk about how much it cost to park my car in Boston overnight:blush:)

I also made dinner from what we had in the freezer, and I would have LOVED pizza as well.

I have not left my house in 2 days other than taking DD to school...I avoided Target and the grocery store. Normally I end up at one or the other every other day, but I looked at my list and realized there was nothing we absolutely needed, so I'm going to go tomorrow or over the weekend to combine it with weekly grocery shopping.

Tomorrow, going to take out a fixed amount of cash for spending for the week, including our eating out and groceries. Normally I debit the groceries and just have the cash for our weekend outings. AND going to cut down eating out to Friday and Sat only....going to plan my meals and start cooking the rest of the time including Sunday. This is actually helping with 2 goals, cuz I also am trying to lose weight.

Went to the mall to return some things I bought. I told my DD4 that today we could LOOK in The Disney Store, but could not buy, and she was actually fine with that.

Exchanged 3 bras I had gotten (super cheap from the LB thread) for a different size. they owed me $4 - usually I look at the sales and I owe them!

Returned 2 shirts I received in error from Old Navy - and just took the credit. Did not even look at the massive clearance.

Got an iced coffee - and my friend that I went with offered to pay (she had a gift card), so I took her up on the offer, and said Thanks!

Made up my shopping lists for the loss leaders at both Stop N Shop and Pathmark and coordinated them with my coupons.

Samantha

Well let me see.

I started to click on the thread about the Croc sale but stopped myself because I knew I wouldn't be able to resist.

I walked around one of my favorite stores and then left without buying anything.

DH had to work tonight so the kids & I just had leftovers.

I paid for something that was 3.25 with 4 1$bills so I could put 75 cents into my change jar. It adds up quick. :thumbsup2

I only had 1 kid for the am (1 was in K & 1 was in pre-K) & I usually try to hit the store when I only have the 10 mo old but I didn't. I came home instead & played on the computer.

I cooked the kids pasta & I used the previously made but frozen sauce vs opening a new can & making it (not jarred but homemade via a can, I am not my grandmother so I don't squish the tomatos although that is yummy).

I used last nights left over chicken & the previous nights rice & then added, cumin, chili powder, garlic, black beans, peppers, jalepeno's & I think that is it oh & water & cooked dinner for dh & I vs taking something else out.

I paid $100 on a credit card so it only had about $1000 left until it is paid off (but only $800-$900 on this months bill) but tomorrow I will add more from dh's check. Techincally that is spending but I saved on interest, right?

I think that is it.

LOL Kelly, I guess you can call running around Home Depot and The Galleria pricing out stuff for our basement remodel, saving money. But, I don't know if you call cutting through the Walmart parking lot to get to the mall and seeing Party city ad for a clearence sale saving money. (I live in Y too) I did buy a few things clearenced for my middle DD b-day soon and for the supperbowl party Dh wants to have to show off the basement. :goodvibes :goodvibes

I did go to Blockbuster to get the dvd non returned (I did rerturn it) straighten out and my balance wipped away and hopefully the calls stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter