what college/univ give kids a tuition break if a parent works there?

I think Rice University does give a discount on tuition, but the is no special consideration for admission.

Not many public colleges offer tuition benefits for children of employees. Rutgers is progressive, offering tuition remission for employee dependants.

Many private colleges do offer free/reduced tuition at their college; some on the first day of work, others after several years of service. For example, Duke requires five years of employment before the dependants are eligible for free tuition. All require that the student meet the published admission criteria; there is no preferential treatment.

It is considered a taxable benefit, so the employee will have to pay more income tax.

My friend and her husband both worked at Stanford a few years ago. They said their kids could get really low tuition if they met the admission requirements.

My stepmom works at Boise State and they allow her unmarried under 26 year old kids (none of us left, by the way) to go for $5/credit. Thats pretty cheap.

My former landlord worked at Villanova- she worked in the cafeteria. All three of her kids went to Villanova for very low cost.

I used to work at Eastern University. At the time, they offered it immediately for full time and part timers got it after a year.

My friend work at Penn- in the IT department. Apparently you can get a greatly reduced Penn tuition for undergrad, but grad school has more costs and fees.

I think Rowan University does it as well.

Pretty much all private universities offer some kind of tuition remission for dependent children of their full time employees. I personally know yeshiva university, seton hall, Tulane, princeton, rutgers, nyu, Columbia and drexel offer something. It varies exactly how much. In addition some colleges offer what they call tuition exchange. So if an employee of college a has a kid that want to go to college b, college b will off reduced tuition if someone employees at college b has a kid who wants to go to college a.

Honestly, I thought all colleges and universities offered free or nearly free tuition for the children of their employees. In PA, the dependents of the State University employees can go to any other state school for free tuition, unless that has changed recently (Edinboro, Clarioin, Indiana, Slippery Rock, etc.). Believe me, with 5 teens, if I lived close enough to a university, I would be doing ANYTHING there to get my kids the tuition break...

State of Tennessee employees get 1/2 price for immediate family. One free class per semester and 1/2 price over that for self.

Honestly, I thought all colleges and universities offered free or nearly free tuition for the children of their employees. In PA, the dependents of the State University employees can go to any other state school for free tuition, unless that has changed recently (Edinboro, Clarioin, Indiana, Slippery Rock, etc.). Believe me, with 5 teens, if I lived close enough to a university, I would be doing ANYTHING there to get my kids the tuition break...

Nope. I work for a state university. We get a whopping $500/semester off in normal situations. We are currently without a contract and get nothing off.

Of course, this sort of listing gets compounded by the complication of what benefits they offer to which employees. If you call HR at a large university and ask a question about random benefits, they need not only your exact title, but often will not even discuss possibilities until they have the exact contract in front of them.
Are you support staff, janitorial staff, faculty, a department secretary? Even among faculty there will be different deals for different departments, different "status" of professor, etc. With my DH I ran into a situation where the % of our insurance we had to pay changed when he switched between titles for the same job with the same pay- I can't even imagine how complicated some of the calculations for tuition must get.

That said, I am hoping DH gets into a position that at least offers tuition assistance in the next 10 years. I don't feel too confident that my DD will even get into college, but I would like to know that if she did it would not create a burden. I would rather use that savings to help her into a house or something.

St. Louis University and Washington University in St. Louis. In both cases there are seniority requirements that come into play that determine what the costs actually are.

I do not know of ANY universities anywhere that lower their admission standards for the dependents of employees, unless the employee also happens to be a very big donor as well.

There are also a number of reciprocal agreements in place for public colleges and universities in the US which allow out-of-state students to pay in-state tuition under certain circumstances. Two that come to mind are the Academic Common Market in some of the southern states, and the Midwest Student Exchange Program in some of the midwestern states.

Of course, this sort of listing gets compounded by the complication of what benefits they offer to which employees. If you call HR at a large university and ask a question about random benefits, they need not only your exact title, but often will not even discuss possibilities until they have the exact contract in front of them.
Are you support staff, janitorial staff, faculty, a department secretary? Even among faculty there will be different deals for different departments, different "status" of professor, etc. With my DH I ran into a situation where the % of our insurance we had to pay changed when he switched between titles for the same job with the same pay- I can't even imagine how complicated some of the calculations for tuition must get.

That said, I am hoping DH gets into a position that at least offers tuition assistance in the next 10 years. I don't feel too confident that my DD will even get into college, but I would like to know that if she did it would not create a burden. I would rather use that savings to help her into a house or something.

I'm faculty, and at my institution it's the same ($500 per semester if there's a contract) for faculty and professionals.

DePaul in Chicago offers at least a sizable discount.

My father taught at a private college for many, many years. My siblings and I could get free tuition where he taught and I think up to half of their tuition amount paid to another school.

My friend currently works at a small Christian collgege. They (and their dependents) get a certain percentage off of tuition based on their years of service. They also have tuition exchanges with other schools.

Indiana University has 50% off.

I worked at IU and had coworkers taking classes. The kicker was that they got taxed on the discount. So, if you took $4,000 worth of classes for $2,000 and were in a 25% tax bracket, your next paycheck would come $500 lighter to pay the taxes on your tuition discount. I'm not sure if this is everywhere or just how IU does the books. And, granted, this was about 8 years ago. I can only assume they still do the same thing.

This is the primary way higher ed institutions offer ed benefits to employees: http://www.tuitionexchange.org/schools.cfm

Other associations do this as well, on a smaller scale. One example is http://www.colleges.org

Other schools, outside of tuition exchange or consortiums, offer benefits for staff outside these. Perhaps just at their own school, a percentage of tuition at another school or some other form of financial assistance.

It is not taxable in all instances.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter