What car rental companies is everyone using now?

steve_rob

Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?
Going to be renting a car at MCO in September and it's our first time back in Florida for over five years, so was curious to see whether anyone had any preferences of which car rental company they end up hiring from, or whether they're all much of a muchness and it's a case of picking whichever one is cheapest. Note that I'm not talking about which website you book through (e.g. NetFlights, HolidayAutos, Kayak, etc.) but the actual rental company that provides the car (Alamo, Thrifty, Enterprise etc.).

I only bring this up because on our previous Florida trips we usually ended up renting through Dollar and had no complaints at the time. Now when I look at pricing on-line they are usually coming up as one of the cheaper agencies, but their customer reviews are terrible - 5 out of 10 or below, compared to most other companies getting 8's or 9's. Unfortunately it does not tell you why they are getting low scores, so I'm having to guess (long queues, poor car choice?) but it does make me wary as I don't know who is a reliable company any more.

Choosing a car rental company can be a daunting task, especially when there are so many options to choose from. While it is tempting to go with the cheapest option, it's important to consider other factors such as customer service, car availability, and additional fees.

Based on customer reviews and ratings, some of the top car rental companies at MCO are Alamo, Enterprise, National, and Avis. These companies consistently receive high ratings for their customer service and overall rental experience. However, keep in mind that these companies may also be more expensive than some of the other options.

When it comes to choosing a car rental company, it's also important to consider any additional fees that may come up. For example, some companies charge additional fees for things like GPS or adding an additional driver. It's important to read the fine print and understand all the fees before making a decision.

Budget are coming out cheapest currently but shocking reviews. I usually use Hertz but finding Alamo are cheaper currently.
Prices fluctuate all the time so keep checking, or lock in a deal you are happy with but with free cancellation in case it goes up or you find a better deal.

Budget are coming out cheapest currently but shocking reviews. I usually use Hertz but finding Alamo are cheaper currently.
Prices fluctuate all the time so keep checking, or lock in a deal you are happy with but with free cancellation in case it goes up or you find a better deal.
Warning - do not rent a car from Budget at Orlando Airport. They force you to wait in line to speak with someone at the counter who then has the opportunity to hard sell you on things you do not need. Totally unnecessary as everything can be arranged ahead of time nowadays. Best case, it's a waste of the customer's time. Worst case, it's a predatory sales tactic.

This past January I was there and politely declined all of the extras and then a month later, guess what, my credit card has several hundred dollars worth of extra charges from Budget! I tried to dispute these charges and failed, ended up eating the costs.

Budget really screwed us over last time we used them. first they tried the hard see, then when we dropped off (one way rental) they screwed us for $150 for 'late drop off'. I insisted that we didn't owe this as I'd hired from 3pm on the first day til midnight on the last. I refused to pay but they took it anyway. Then another $250 disappeared from my account 2 weeks later for 'upgrades'. We didn't take any upgrades. The same thing happened to our friends. When they dropped off at MCO, where it's very dark, she read the ticket thing they give you and it had $400 in additional charges! She'd asked the drop off guy if she needed to do anything else but he'd told her she was 'good to go'. It's a good job she looked. It took her 40 minutes to get it sorted but she's one of those people who arrive hours too early. If she had been in a rush she would have been $400 down. (Which co-incidentally is what they screwed me for)

We've been renting from Alamo. DH likes an SUV, even though there's just 2 of us and his golf clubs. Alamo has been giving relatively good prices for their SUVs.

We used Alamo in April and definitely recommend.

Decent price, free additional drivers, no up sell, friendly staff.

Rented from thrifty in January and it was awful. They say you can collect from the terminal if you give them your flight number but no one is there. A sign tells you to take the shuttle bus to the main terminal which takes a while as no room on the first one, then on arrival we queued for well over an hour when none of the other counters had any queue at all. More than two hours from baggage collection late at night with young kids was not fun.
I think the desk was shared with dollar so would avoid that too as we were all lined up together.

Have had very good experience with Avis in the USA

We used Alamo in April and definitely recommend.

Decent price, free additional drivers, no up sell, friendly staff.
Did you take it from the airport and drop it off at a different location?
Are there any drop off locations on Disney property? There used to be a drop off at Swan...but I am not finding that now.

Just booked Avis (via British Airways) for pickup at MCO and drop off at Hilton Disney Springs. Not sure if we've been screwed on price or a great price, but hey-ho.

Just booked Avis (via British Airways) for pickup at MCO and drop off at Hilton Disney Springs. Not sure if we've been screwed on price or a great price, but hey-ho.
I’m not sure if you can still do this but I got a free Avis Preferred card and you could skip lines when picking up

Last time I got a rental when I traveled from Florida to Phoenix, AZ. It was the smoothest and cheapest rental I've ever used. I've made my booking via phone, got a Corvette C8 that was great, and for 2 days paid just 250$.

See this luxury car rental here. They also have got a lot of positive reviews, so might be helpful for your future trips.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter