What can I get started on now?

WDWAurora

<font color=teal>I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'
Ok, long story short, we're not engaged yet. We've basically set a date for early August, so I want to get some things planned before we're "technically" engaged. I've been working on the guest list. What are some other things I can do that will make this easier for me later on? I graduate in May, so I'm really not going to have a lot of time later on...I need to do the things that can be done now, now. (And he's finished his half of the guest list also, btw) I'm just stressed wondering if I'll have time to do everything by August!

Some things to know: We're getting married near Asheville, NC most likely (read: not at WDW) and more than likely honeymooning to disney. We'll stay offsite and visit the 4 parks, at least one waterpark, DisneyQuest, and Pleasure Island.

What else can I work on? Thanks!

Hey WDWAurora - congrats on your impending engagement ;)

Wow graduating in May - good luck with your studies and very good thinking of you to make wedding plans and arrangements now !

Are you having a theme for your wedding - this could just be you colour scheme ?

Have you chosen your invites - obviously once you've set your scene choosing the invites is easier but there again you could choose your invites that you like and then theme the wedding around them ;)

You definitely need to decide on your wedding location and book that and then you can work on the food and beverage side.

Do you know who your attendants will be?

Very important one here - have you seen a dress you like or been dress shopping

I think you should try and pick up some wedding maagazines for sure and have a read through :)

Had you any ideas on where you would stay off-site for your honeymoon? I have stayed on International Drive before now and loved it. Are you thinking of staying off-site to fit in with your budget? I ask this as sometimes there are some great deals around to stay on-site.

Well I'll wait for you to answer some of my questions (I seem to have bombarded you ;)) and then we can help you go from there.

Thanks for the help! I don't want to book anything, etc...until we're definitely engaged, because, should we wind up not being able to get engaged as soon as we'd like, we may not be able to get married that quick.

We haven't really decided on a theme...Originally we thought we'd go with red and black, since those are our school colors, and that's where we met, but since then I've been leaning more towards pink or a pale green to match my favorite flowers, stargazer lillies. A lot will depend on my dress, because I've been leaning toward getting one with a hint of a color on it...I saw a beautiful one with the pale green...

Invitations we're looking at the doit yourself kits...my boyfriend is a computer whiz and could make them look as fabulous as they would from a printing company, he has one of those amazing printers.

Location-it'll be near the small town where I live, so finding a location won't be hard, they don't book quickly there, especially in August because it's so hot and humid.

My maid of honor knows that she's my maid of honor, and I think my boyfriend's sister wants to be in it, so I suppose she'll be matron of honor. Beyond that, I'm waiting to see how many guys he chooses. He has two brothers and a brother in law, so I'll have at least one more to choose, possibly two (if the maid and matron of honor count as one). I haven't entirely decided who to ask yet.

I've been looking a little at dresses, but not trying on anything yet again until we're actually engaged. I know what I want, but the problem is that EVERYTHING is strapless right now. I don't want a train, I don't like them (not a removable one, not one that buttons up, nothing) and I want a fitted bodice with a huge tulle skirt and spaghetti straps. I may have to have the straps added. I'm hoping to find one for relatively reasonable, or get my grandmothers to make it. More than likely I'll find it at the new David's Bridal in town.

I have a Bride's, and my boyfriend subscribed me to Modern Bride, the first issue is supposed to arrive February 2nd. (that's another story, he ordered it in October and it's finally going to get here)

We're staying offsite for several reasons. The main one is that I can't justify the cost. The hotel we generally stay in is more than $40 a night less than even the value hotels on site, with the AP codes at various hotels, with various other discounts we qualify for...I just can't justify it. The hotel we stay at is very nice, and only half a mile off property. It has continental breakfast and we can be at the parks in less than five minutes...I'm totally happy with it.

Thanks so much for all your help! Just having someone ask questions is really helping to make me think about things I need to be thinking about!

WDWAurora~ I don't have much input for most of what you wrote, but my dress sounds like just what you were talking about. I got it at David's Bridal, during on of thier million sales and saved $75, which then paid for the slip and such underneath. Here is photos of it and you can have the alterations shop hack off the train to make it a ballgown style. :) I believe the dress started out at $550 and after the sale, and adding the slip and taxes, I paid $572.

wedding_dress_front.jpg
wedding_dress_back.jpg

HTH!

I love that!! It is exactly what I'm looking for! Just in case I can't get it altered (I worry about having a train removed, too much opportunity for damage), does it bustle or anything?

Thanks for sharing that, it's great! I'm technically very tempted to go on to David's in the next day or two and if I find one, get it...I plan on paying for that myself, and I have the savings right now to do it...but the sale is what would really allow me to do it. The fact that my mom is nearly 300 miles away though is keeping me from it...

WDWAurora, i am graduating in may also!!! with my masters. i too met my FH at school. i know how much work you will have between now and may, but i also know how much work you will have planning a wedding! i have been engaged since 10/02, and am not getting married until 5/05!! a long engagement i know, but i knew there would be NO way that i would be able to plan a wedding while still in school, and i knew i wanted to get married in the spring so 2004 was out. actually, we have done a lot of planning (ie, got the site for the reception and the DJ), but still have tons and tons to do. don't mean to get into your business, but just remember that this will be one of the most memorable days of your life and you don't want to rush the plans and have something go array... take your time and enjoy your engagement (or future engagement)... marriage will be forever... you have time!!

well didn't mean to preach, that is just my opinion since i am going through it right now. i am sure that no matter what you decide you will have a very special day.

have fun planning!!

WDWAurora, the gown can be bustled or altered to take the train off. They provide the service for a fee at DB, or you can find a tailor who will do it for you, as well. (I live 2 and a half hours from my DB, and I didn't want to make several trips, so my local tailor guy is doing it). It is not uncommon to get the train cut off, according to the girl who helped me.

In case you are curious, the style number on that one is 9004 and a similar style but strapless (I loved it and wanted it, but the bugle beads on the bodice irritated my skin, which is way toooo sensitive) is T8017. The strapless one was actually my fave, but I couldn't wear it for 5 minutes without a rash, let alone 6+ hours. The first one (9004) has pearls rather then bugle beads. They are both the same price.

When I walked through the door, I told them those two dresses were my faves and she pulled down about 12 that were similar, as well as some different, just to make sure and I walked out with the first one! :)

Thanks for the advice hotveggy. We've been dating for over three years, and, with me starting graduate school in the fall, we're ready to go ahead and start our life together as a married couple. We've been planning to get married basically since day one it seems like, and I want my next move (I have to move from my college apt to my grad school apt, since it'll definitely be in a different city) to be us moving to our home (whether that be an apartment, house, etc). We've thought about this, and what we both really want is to get married in early August, before I start back to class, but after my birthday (the 2nd). This is what we want...we just hoped that we would be engaged by now. He's been looking for a job since he graduated, and hasn't had the best of luck...so we're waiting for that. I told him that if we were able to get engaged by March at some point, we'll still aim for August. We'll probably go for my fall break otherwise, but August is ideal, otherwise our living situation will be difficult to figure out for a few months.

Sorry for the life story. :D

Thanks for the rest of the info on the dress! I'm SOOOOOOOO tempted to go up there and buy one during this sale...I'm fighting it, but I really want to just go do it...Anyway, those style numbers will probably come in handy!

Thanks guys!

Courtney

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter