• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What are your thoughts? DME vs car service & grocery options

Any of the proposed options are good, IMO. The last several trips we've gone DME and grocery delivery from Amazon. This upcoming trip, some of us are flying, and some are driving, so we will have a car available. Also for very basic breakfasts (eggs, cereal, bread) the resort stores will carry those items. We have a Gluten Free person on this upcoming trip, so will likely do a combination of ordering the basics and a grocery run to Publix.

When I arrived at MCO and was staying at Beach Club, BoardWalk, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, the towncar driver took me to:
Publix
Lake Cay Commons
9930 Universal Blvd
Orlando 32819

When I arrived at Sanford airport and was staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge:
Publix
4195 W Lake Mary Blvd
Lake Mary, FL, 32746-2410
The driver refused to go to the Publix in Orlando whic is listed above. She said it would not be on the way. I was annoyed because I knew it would be a long ride from the grocery store to the hotel. It ended up taking an hour to get from the grocery store to the hotel. I wanted to go somewhere closer to the hotel so that I could buy perishables.

2. take DME then schedule a grocery delivery
Pros: cheaper than option 1 (we would use Instacart, Garden Grocery is insane with their prices)
Cons: 2 hour delivery window where we have to be at the resort and we can't guarantee when we will arrive at the resort to schedule the delivery. More time waiting than the other options.

If I'm reading your itinerary correctly, delivery to Riviera can be made to Bell Services, so you won't have to be at the resort. This is what we did in late-August, when we had a car - it was more for our convenience. The items were delivered before we arrived. When we were ready, we went to Bell Services to arrange for someone to deliver it to our room when we knew we'd be in it. This will cost you $6+tip to the CM. I believe there is no charge when you pick it up from Bell Services. Hopefully, this alleviates your "con" if you choose this option. It was actually very convenient for us.

This is Disney. Price is less of a consideration than your time considering what you already shelled out.

I would take DME (I've never waited more than 20 minutes), have a food delivery set for the day you arrive. You can always go to the resort market to top off items during your stay.
It normally goes to Bell services and they can deliver the groceries. Saves you the trouble of carrying stuff to your room, assuming it is ready and you don't waste time in the stores. Pamper yourself and do as little as you have to to get set up and then go to Epcot that night via the skyliner and enjoy with your friend. Your on vacation!! Have fun!!

We have done both and after enduring long lines at DME it was such a treat to get off the plane, grab our luggage and just find our driver. Our driver actually offered to make a grocery stop but we actually just opted for amazon prime now - so much less expensive than instacart or garden grocer. We like the convenience of just having it delivered to the resort and bell services bringing it up to our rooms. With 3 kids and luggage we'd rather not have to worry about more bags.

I’ve never stood in a long line for MDE. Must just have been lucky over the years. Way too impatient to grocery shop when we land!

We have rented cars, currently for several years and used Black Car in the past. We were able to stop at Publix, Target with no problems. Black car would stop at either place for us to shop.

We sat for like 1 hour waiting on Instacart because the driver kept going to the right place instead of Boardwalk. I kept texting him and tried calling him.

Worst experience and I can't imagine doing it again unless it was a delivery they could just drop off at the front desk because there is no cold items (yes they will supposedly put it in the fridge but I also have read about that not occuring and I don't want food spoiling then being cold when we get it because there was finally space in their fridge after someone else picked up their food).

This next time we are landing later in the day so we will stop at the store on the way to the room. If we land earlier in the day when the room might not be ready we then typically wait and take a lyft/uber once we have our room.

I literally did Amazon Fresh today!! I ordered last night for a delivery time when I expected the DME to deliver me to the hotel as well. I am still on the DME as I write and the Amazon driver just texted as well as Amazon App notified my items had been delivered!!! They will be there when I get there. Perfect! Will always use this service.

Good to hear. We're using Amazon Fresh for the first time next week.
We have always used Amazon Prime Now.....but it is discontinued. Hope it works the same.

Just got back from our trip, used DME will not use that again took over 2 hours to get to AKL after checking in. and they were about 30mins late to pick up for airport. and for now on definitely doing some sort of grocery thing

Just got back from our trip, used DME will not use that again took over 2 hours to get to AKL after checking in. and they were about 30mins late to pick up for airport. and for now on definitely doing some sort of grocery thing
I'm just waiting for all the updates from folks who have been swearing on this and other threads that they are sure Mears knows what they are doing, and will be just fine, and the service will continue, just without Disney, and at a reasonable cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter