What are your kids doing this Summer?

DD16 is working in the office at my work three days a week. The other two days she sleeps in, watched Netflix, and volunteers at our town's historical society.

DD15 tried very hard to get a summer job, but they all wanted 16+, so she has been going to work with DH and helping him out on his job building a house this summer. The homeowner has hired her to help him some, as well, so she is staying busy. She had yesterday off, and without me asking, she cleaned our entire house. She is heading to hockey camp at the end of July, and may play with a local summer softball team on a casual basis. Field hockey pre season starts for her mid August, so that is about it.

We will be on vacation for a week mid July. Both girls play softball on Monday nights with their high school team.

We are less busy this year than in past summers, but it has been really nice. The girls are so much more pleasant to be around since they have both started working.

This year my 16 year old is heading to Rhode Island for the month of July to Brown University for summer pre-college. Its just one class for 3 hours and then 3 hours of homework, the rest of the time is theirs to go and do what they want. I know she plans to uber to Boston for one of the days she doesn't have class.

From Brown it is an easy walk to the MBTA Commuter Rail Station that goes into Boston and would be much cheaper than uber. From the Boston stop she is right at the subway station. You can also easily walk from Brown to the Providence Place Mall. My nephew goes to Brown (entering junior year in the fall). When dd12 was 10 we visited and did an official tour along with dd14 at the time. My dd12 wants to go to Brown because she liked the horse statue.

DS19 is working for his 3rd summer at the golf course at our country club. He is helping run a golf camp for little kids this week. When he's not working, he is sleeping or visiting friends. He is trying to save as much money as he can, so he has enough spending money for his sophomore year at UVA.

DD17 is working for 8 weeks as a camp counselor at our county summer day camp for elementary school kids. She has varsity volleyball workouts a couple of evenings a week. She'll also take an SAT prep course and do a couple of college visits this summer.

Both kids are so busy with work that they could only come for the weekend of our beach vacation in early June. It made me sad, but I am happy they are both so engaged and productive this summer.

Camps in my town cost mega bucks! Like $800 for the Summer.

Oh wow! The ones offered by our school district are very informal, and run $25-50.

In my county we are very lucky! The county summer camp is free to county residents. There are 7 one week sessions, Mon - Thurs from 8:30 to 2:30. There is one camp for grades K-4 and another for 5-8. The camps are held at the various elementary and middle schools in our county, but they are not run by the schools. Competition to sign up for these camps is FIERCE as they are first come first serve. Reminds me of camping out to get Springsteen tickets!

My daughter is 11 has been out of school since early June. 1st 2 weeks of June she basically did nothing. Lots of TV and ipad. I did make her come with me on 30 minute walks every week. The last 2 weeks of June she had 2 seperate camps. The 1st 2 weeks of July will be will be pretty relaxing but she is going to have to give her bedroom a good cleaning. We probably will go to the local water park and to the zoo and museums. The last 2 weeks on July she will be at Camp Grandma!! Totally worth the 4 hour drive!! In August we will begin preparing for Junior High. She will have a math tutorial "camp" and she will spend a day at the new school learning the ropes.

Absolutely nothing!

Actually she keeps the house clean, works out every day and goes to town most days with friends. And helps me taking her nieces on outings and spending time with dil.

She starts college in early August and while she won't be far away, she seems to be wanting to soak up family time this summer.

Wow! :eek: I need a nap after reading some of these summer reports.

I know, right.

I just feel like a total slacker.
"Here kids, here's some water guns, sparklers, some corn on the cob and some library books...now go on outside until school starts back up again!"

Everyone has structured activities and camp and productive stuff going on. Wow.

I also feel.kind of like I do after I've read one of those holiday newsletters.

From Brown it is an easy walk to the MBTA Commuter Rail Station that goes into Boston and would be much cheaper than uber. From the Boston stop she is right at the subway station. You can also easily walk from Brown to the Providence Place Mall. My nephew goes to Brown (entering junior year in the fall). When dd12 was 10 we visited and did an official tour along with dd14 at the time. My dd12 wants to go to Brown because she liked the horse statue.

Great I will tell her that! She did already scope out that mall LOL. She looked up all the stores in there and places to eat around the area in case the dorm food sucks.

DS 19 is recovering from an emergency open appendectomy 2 and a half weeks ago, still sore and can't bend over or sleep in his bed yet. Back to college mid August.

DS 22 is receiving a National Fraternity award this weekend in San Diego, went to regional soccer games last week in North Carolina as a referee and started his Master's degree program and planning a wedding for next August.

DS 17 just returned from 3 day soccer camp. He'll start band camp in 2 weeks and then go on a church retreat. Senior year starts August 4th.

DD14 had 3 day soccer camp earlier in the week, will have practice tomorrow and training for volleyball 2 days each week starting next week. She'll also get her braces off. Freshman year starts August 4th.

Catch up dental appointments and sports physicals. Then spending time staying up all night and hanging out on the computer will round out what's left of summer.

Once July starts summer break is mostly over.

DD (6) is going to park district summer day camp. They go swimming everyday, play, make crafts and take field trips. She loves it! I am so grateful dear MIL paid her camp fees for us. My boys (age 2 and 9) and I are spending our days reading, playing at the park, and going to the community pool. It has a splash pool perfect toddlers! Also Minecraft and Disney Junior make their way into the mix. :)

Well he's 31 so he will be going to work most days.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Now his kid is skating 6 days a week plus dance for figure skaters & conditioning classes. Plus lots of time in the pool at Mema's house.

I know, right.

I just feel like a total slacker.
"Here kids, here's some water guns, sparklers, some corn on the cob and some library books...now go on outside until school starts back up again!"

Everyone has structured activities and camp and productive stuff going on. Wow.

I also feel.kind of like I do after I've read one of those holiday newsletters.

Awww, don't feel bad. The "slackers" just don't post on a thread like this. When our kids were younger we'd take our vacation and then slack all summer and loved it. The best part was that it was free!!

My kids are 15, 17, 19 & 20. The older two are out of the home. Oldest is doing summer classes at university and next oldest is doing basic training at his military college. The younger two at home are both working this summer, the 17 YO is working full time and the 15 YO is working 16 hours a week. Other than that we will all take some time off in the middle of August when my 19 YO gets leave and he will come home for almost two weeks (he hasn't been home since March so we are all very excited)! We will try to get the boats down to the lake when we have time and that is it. No big plans anymore, it's hard once kids start working and also leave home.

Our kids have been out of school for almost a month and have been relaxing and playing with friends. Next week starts summer camps (3 hrs. a day for DD13; 6 hrs. a day for DD9). They each do 3 weeks of camp (not in a row). We also have a trip coming up. In addition, DD13 figure skates and helps with group lessons, so that takes up some time too.

I like to keep them a little busy, but not crazy busy. They do complain they are bored if no one is around to hang/play with, so we will do day trips here and there too.

I limit electronics to 2hrs. a day (ipad, phone, xbox, etc.) and they only watch TV in the morning until 10:30 and then again at night after showers.

My 22 year old is working and spending his days off preparing for grad school - searching for roommates, apartments, etc. when he is lucky enough to have a weekend off, he gets together with his college friends who live in the area.

My 17 year old is living the dream. He's out with friends almost every day. It's been parties every week since graduation. And when it's not a party, it's get togethers at the beach, out to dinner, Broadway shows and just hanging out. His job plans for the summer fell through in mid May, so he's been looking for a job with not much luck yet.

Driving me crazy.
Driving my MIL crazy.
DD10 is doing a few softball camps.
DD6 is doing a tumbling came and a horse riding camp.

It's so hot outside, I don't know what to do with them most days when I'm off. We watch movies, sometimes we will go to the splash park. But it's 100 degrees here and that's just too hot to do anything outside.
We just moved into a new house so there are lots of projects!

DD15 tried very hard to get a summer job, but they all wanted 16+, so she has been going to work with DH and helping him out on his job building a house this summer. .

Wow that is crazy- don't hire until 16? Our local amusement park hires at 14 and the ice cream place my daughter works for hires at 15-most of my daughters friends had jobs at 15 various places. She is a night owl anyway so she is fine with working the evening shift until closing (12:00) on weekends and in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter