What are you getting your kids for Christmas/Hanukkah?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
We are limited in funds this year, due to our high daycare costs, so we can't spend a ton on gifts, but I am thinking of getting my kids:

-Floof
-Walkie Talkies
-Princess Tent (indoor)
-Coloring books
-Playdoh

What are you thinking of getting for your kids this year?

I bought my DD17 a light up magnifying mirror from Costco. I am also renewing her Ipsy Glam Bag subscription.

ETA: My DD also wants a down comforter. I'll be getting her a really nice one to take with her when she moves out next year :sad:.

Last edited:

My 15 y/o is impossible to buy for. So far I bought her a Hamlet lithograph shirt. She's mentioned some gaming headphone/microphone set. I don't know beyond that.

My 8 y/o is easy. I picked up some Monster High dolls on a good deal. I'll get her some Shopkins sets. She said she's planning on asking Santa for a box of "blind bags" - those overpriced grab bags for toys. She loves watching people open them on youtube.

Money plus a few things that can be packed easily in a stocking. We'll be away.

My kids had walkie talkies when they were young - a big hit! They occasionally use the adult ones I also have.

For DS8, I am thinking more of those subscription boxes. He got a 3 month gift to tinkercrate and he really liked doing those.
For dd5, I am at a loss. She's hard to shop for and she already has so many things.

DD28 & her fiance a gift card to Cheesecake factory and some cash

DD19- waiting for her list but she did mention a heated blanket

DD15- she asked for some vinyl albums, Sephora and Hot topic gift cards

In years where money has been tighter I've gotten stuff the kids need for at least part of the gifts. So, for example, gloves, pajamas, slippers, backpacks, hoodies, hats, sports equipment, musical instruments, books and workbooks. But all of it more fun than usual. Or if we're doing something special over winter break (the circus, say) we'll give that to them as a gift.

We'll also let them choose an app up to a certain dollar limit (say $5).

To be honest, both their grandmas go kind of crazy. Even in years where things are more comfortable we try not to go too overboard and get them lots of crap. I try to think really hard about what interests them or enriches them and get that. And I try to keep the spending down.

One year I took a big old plastic shoe box, decorated the cover with their names and wrapped the box and some art supplies - paint, brushes, palettes, paper, sponges - separately. They loved it and it was useful for years.

So many gifts, God willing!

Pokemon games , other games , gotta check his list for more info. I usually just go through the list and settle on snywhere from 50 - 80% of the items. This will depend on behavior and grades.

This was my DD3 first year selecting gifts. I want to get it all! But will settle for 80-95% of the items:

Princess castle, skating Minnie, sofia the first doll & cart, Elsa doll, belle doll, doc mcstuffins house, Peppa pig play set, pj mask toys, and more!

Soooo excited!

In years where money has been tighter I've gotten stuff the kids need for at least part of the gifts. So, for example, gloves, pajamas, slippers, backpacks, hoodies, hats, sports equipment, musical instruments, books and workbooks. But all of it more fun than usual. Or if we're doing something special over winter break (the circus, say) we'll give that to them as a gift.

We'll also let them choose an app up to a certain dollar limit (say $5).

To be honest, both their grandmas go kind of crazy. Even in years where things are more comfortable we try not to go too overboard and get them lots of crap. I try to think really hard about what interests them or enriches them and get that. And I try to keep the spending down.

One year I took a big old plastic shoe box, decorated the cover with their names and wrapped the box and some art supplies - paint, brushes, palettes, paper, sponges - separately. They loved it and it was useful for years.
Yup. My mother did that when I was a kid. I always got a present of underwear, and another that was socks.

I always tried to open those first to get them out of the way. I don't think I ever could muster a smile when gazing at my new Fruit of the Looms.

MG

Also: the grandparents always buy them gifts as well as their uncles! I usually assign them something - for example, last year one of them got a 3DS for my son. That saved me $200.

When $ is tight, I rely on their generous gifting!

DS #1 A Wii U Mario game, Guess Who Board Game, some play doh, and a movie
DS #2 All he wants is "Hungry Hungry Hippos". He has been asking for this game for months. That is all he wants. I am going to get him some other stuff as well.
He is also getting the play-doh, and a movie.
DS #3 A Mickey Mouse Duplo set, a board game, play doh, and a movie.

I finished shopping for my 7-year-old earlier this month. What is she getting? Too much, but that's not unusual. :sad2: Under the tree will be:
  • American Girl Truly Me doll with matching pajamas for my daughter
  • American Girl Bitty Baby with diaper bag (comes with 4 accessories)
  • Hatchimal
  • Pottery Cool Studio
  • Georgie Interactive Puppy
  • Project Mc2 dolls and Ultimate Lab Kit
  • Create Your Own Tsum Tsum
  • Shopkins Happy Places
  • Numerous educational kits (she's really into gemstones and "dig" kits right now)
  • Playmobil Malibu Mansion
  • Stocking Stuffers: earrings, blind bags, Claire's gift card

Electric blankets, POP figures. Thomas the Tank Engine, Cars, and my one son wants a set of nesting dolls like the Higglyown Heroes.

i miss the days of buying toys! enjoy, everyone that has young kids. It just gets harder, and more expensive!

This. My 4 are 14 and older. Have no clue. At the older ages, I'll ask what they want/need next week when everyone is home.

Op, sounds like your kids are young. What you have listed sounds perfect. At young ages they enjoy the simple things. Don't sweat not getting them a lot. Don't feed into the pressure to spend a lot

I like the adage 'something to wear, something to read, something you want something you need'.

Grandparents buy most of our "big" gifts, which leaves us picking up a few little things. My kids already have so many toys and even my oldest doesn't really ask for much. He did ask for Hungry, Hungry Hippos, so must be a thing! He is also getting to go to Disney World in January with myself, his aunt and cousins and grandparents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter